View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old June 6th, 2005, 10:59
jimbo jones
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Mills mission

By Phil Harrison

Defender Pablo Mills hopes to sit down and clarify his future at Derby County when he finally holds contract talks later this week.

The 21-year-old defender is known to have several other clubs interested in him, including a number of the Rams' Championship rivals, should he fail to agree terms at Pride Park.

The central defender was the only out-of-contract player to be retained by the club at the end of last season.

Ian Taylor, Marco Reich and Chris Makin were all released, while Jeff Kenna and Jamie Vincent, both still under contract, have been told they can try and find themselves another club.

Gino Culbertson, the player's agent said a letter of retention had been received from the club but added he would be looking for improved terms for Mills.

"As far as we are concerned Pablo has received a standard retention letter from the club, the terms of which would be unacceptable," said Culbertson.

"However, we have since been informed by the club that they wish to sit down and discuss the terms of a new contract which is something we welcome.

"My priority is the player's best interests and at this stage of his career he needs to be playing first-team football, although we fully understand that he has to earn a regular place."

Although other clubs are interested in Mills, Culbertson stressed the player was keen to stay at Pride Park.

He added: "I feel his contribution to the club last season was first-class and he never once let them down.

"There is interest from other clubs but Pablo's heart lies at Derby and he wants to stay there.

"We hope the talks we have this week will clarify his future at the club."

Mills only started two of the final 14 games of last season and was often down the pecking order for a centre-back role behind Mo Konjic, Michael Johnson and Tom Huddlestone.

Mills made 26 appearances last season, 18 of them starts and his best run in the side came at the beginning of January when he made 10 consecutive starts.

But with Huddlestone on his way to Tottenham Hotspur next season and other defenders either already gone or likely to be leaving, there is potential for a lack of defensive cover in the squad.

Murdo Mackay, the Rams' director of football, said the club wished to keep hold of Mills, although no formal discussions regarding a new contract had yet been held.

"The letter that we have sent out to Pablo is a standard retention letter that all clubs send out to players they wish to keep for the following season," said Mackay.

"We are hoping to sit down formally with Pablo and his agent some time in the coming week to discuss a new contract. The manager has intimated that he wants Pablo to stay and as long as mutually acceptable terms can be agreed then that should see him remain here"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it seems there could still be a chance, Mills will stay at Derby. We need him I think, the defence needs too be strengthened, losing another defender will not be good. Hopefully they will sort out a contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome