Need help to build my own computer - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2011, 00:40 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: Albania NT, Parma
Need help to build my own computer

Alright guys I need help to build a computer. I have ZERO knowledge in building one so I need help and guidence from the start to finish.

The purpose? I want to build a bad ass gaming computer aswell as a media outlet (being able to plug it to the tv etc etc etc).

First of, what to think about when buying a chassi/box. Is there something I need to know?

This is the one I've had in my mind:

http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=605770

I don't have a sig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2011, 01:30
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Juve/ITALIA
Judging by your comment i dont expect you to put it all together at your home alone? Unless you have friend or co-worker who is good in it. But then you probably wouldnt post this thread here.

If you take a bigger company, like Dell you can confirm your setup on their website and check what the price will be, and adjust everything to get closest to your budget. And they will put it all together instead of you messing with everything.

Usually the box will have a air cooling open "grill" somewhere, either on the left side or at the top (if you watch from the front).

But these days they have 2 cooling systems, one is air cooling, other is liquid/water cooling (i think its more expensive too, but then you usually dont have the grill for open air, instead its like these:http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal....php?cPath=262

Compared to air cooling:

More info about the cooling systems here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_cooling

I just googled you here, decent review also what to look for setup building, maybe gives you some ideashttp://www.pcworld.com/article/23800...nder_1000.html

Other things about the box i think aint any different from usual pc box.

But tbh youtube is also full of guiding videos.

The setup, the more the better i suppose. And honestly i am no expert myself, just needed a new upgrade 3 years ago and went for a high-performance option.

Last edited by Stephan; September 26th, 2011 at 01:44.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2011, 01:48
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Juve/ITALIA
You can confirm here with dell: http://www.dell.com/uk/p/desktops?ca...&view=standard

Should be able to change location if needed for language/location.

Would help if you would give some clue about your budget too

We can go quite extreme with this, but it has to be worth it too then.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2011, 14:08 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: Albania NT, Parma
Thanks Stephan. Much helpful. As for my budget. Well considering that this is my first attempt to build a computer I'm aiming for something between 800-1000 euro. In case I mess up .

I want to build a good gaming computer

I don't have a sig.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2011, 20:35
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Inter, Memphis Tigers
Make it out of wood like they used to in the old days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob W The Bat View Post
These last years after the CL win I noticed when following the Inter online community that many fans have turned into cvcksuckers.
R.I.P: Tazzy, Flo.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old February 25th, 2012, 21:18
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Srbija, Crvena Zvezda
What do you guys think about an Intel i5 650cpu with 6gb ram and 1.5tb hard drive + Windows 7, Office, etc. for $450? Good deal?

NIKO NEMA STO SRBIN IMADE

SAMO SLOGA SRBINA SPASAVA
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:06
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare View Post
What do you guys think about an Intel i5 650cpu with 6gb ram and 1.5tb hard drive + Windows 7, Office, etc. for $450? Good deal?
Mare, Let's put it this way, is the sort of question that if it was a car would sound like this: "what do you think of a car with a BMW engine, 4 wheels, a GPS, bluray screen...etc for 10000?...it will depend a lot on what chassis (motherboard) that I5 was installed and so on...it doesn't matter how great a CPU/Micro can be, if it is install in a bad motherboard, if it has bad RAM, if it has an awuful PSU etc...it just won't work as fancy as even an I7 might sound...the first question to answer yours (even if the rest of the equipment is merely good or regular in comparisson with the quality of the Micro) is WHAT USE you'll give to your PC, it all depends on that and later we can analyze if the hardware would fullfill those requeirements and if doing so, it does it at an expensive price or it's a bargain....I hope I've had help you at leasta bit...

"De cada 10 personas que ven televisión...5 son la mitad"

Last edited by Fangio; August 3rd, 2012 at 05:47.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:26
Laziale, Independent
International

Teams: Lazio; M.City; ALB
Quote:
I think this is an awesome deal man. Go for it right away.

Lazio midfield 1999: ** Nedved - Veron - Simeone - Conceicao

Lazio midfield, 13.12.2009: ** Kolarov - Firmani - Del Nero - Lichtsteiner
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2012, 15:16
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Bursaspor, Turkiye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotti View Post
Thanks Stephan. Much helpful. As for my budget. Well considering that this is my first attempt to build a computer I'm aiming for something between 800-1000 euro. In case I mess up .

I want to build a good gaming computer
Forget the desktops sold by Dell and other manufacturers man..

I can help you out. Here in the states, Newegg is generally the way to go. There are a few others, but none have the wide selection that they do. Do you know of any popular online retailers in Europe that will ship parts to where you live?

What I would go for in that price range:

-Intel Core i5 3570k (ivy bridge)
-A solid z77-based motherboard by a good manufacturer (Asus, MSi, Gigabyte, Asrock....Biostar makes great value boards too but their features can be skimp)
-8 gb of RAM (2x4gb kit) anything more than this is overkill usually and kits of this type can be obtained relatively cheaply, again good manufacturers (corsair, gskill, crucial, kingston, mushkin)
-for video card you can go a bunch of different ways depending on how much you want to spend: there's the nvidia gtx 560 Ti that is still good and can be had for $100-$150 less than the newer nvidia gtx 6xx and radeon 7xxx series, there's nvidia gtx 670 that's a bit pricier, but also very powerful, and then there's the radeon hd 7950 that is just below the 670 in price and performance
-i would get a 64gb-128gb SSD Sata III boot drive from a quality manufacturer again (my picks would be either the crucial m4, samsung 830, or intel 330/520, i don't trust ocz as a company tbh, kingston hyperX series is also good too though)
-then get a 1tb+ storage drive for all your files, a mechanical one. in terms of reliability, i think western digital > seagate, but you can make your choice, the problem with mechanical drives nowadays is their price, they've gone up considerably in just a year while SSDs have gone considerably down
-for the case, i would get a cooler master one, they just can't be beat in terms of quality and price in my opinion, my favorite is the HAF 912, but there is also the CM690II which is a bit more expensive, but also more feature-rich, after buying other cases from different manufacturers in the past, i don't think i'll ever buy a case that isn't from Cooler master (or CM storm, its subsidiary)
-for the power supply, don't cheap out, wattage ratting isn't what you should necessarily be looking for here. For your build, 650w to 750w should be more than enough. I would get at least one with a 80+ bronze rating, but would encourage you to get one that's rated gold (higher efficiency), again though get one from a quality manufacturer because there are cheap ones out there that can potentially go bad quicker and maybe even damage components (i would consider corsair, cooler master, seasonic, antec, and maybe ocz), also look for ones that have a single +12v rail so that you don't get into issues with too many amps on one rail, etc.

There can be other things to consider like an optical drive. I would say that they're not really necessary anymore with flash drives you can boot from and carry everything. But if you want one, they can usually be obtained relatively cheaply unless you want a blu-ray drive or burner.

I would encourage you to look at synthetic benchmarks to help make your decisions as well as reviews. You can always browse www.newegg.com to look at everything. Don't worry about putting your PC together either, there are tons of videos on youtube that show people going through the whole process (like an hour long or so) so you can watch them).

http://cpubenchmark.net/
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/
http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/

(this is all one site, there are others out there too btw)

In addition though, I would recommend getting a 3rd party cooler for your CPU as ivy-bridge tends to run a bit hot. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Adı Aşk Bu Eziyetin
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2012, 15:20
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Bursaspor, Turkiye
Quote:
Depending on what you want to do with it could be. I don't think you could game very well on it though. That CPU is 3 generations old, you could get a comparable system with sandy or ivy bridge for a bit more if not the same price.

If you wanted to game on that, you'd probably be out of luck because they probably used a limited motherboard and power supply.

Adı Aşk Bu Eziyetin
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2016, 01:28
Rookie

Hey there,

I saw that you were interested in looking for products to build your own desktop PC.

A really good site that can help with that is https://www.pcgadgetstore.com

I have used it myself. They are fast and reliable and really cheap.

Hope this helps
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2016, 01:32
Star Player

Teams: Croatia! Bayern, Madrid, Inter, Rijeka, Bari
LOL spammer is a necrophiliac
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old October 23rd, 2018, 19:39
Rookie

Why you need to build own systems?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in