Thinking of getting an e-book reader - Page 2 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2011, 18:53
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelface View Post
I have been thinking of getting one of these readers like the Kobo or Kindle.
Don't.

Sure, I know, they look really cool and everybody has them and you want to get on board the next new thing. But before you do consider this.

With printed books:

- you can buy one with cash, anonymously, and own it.
- you are not required to sign a license agreement that restricts your use of the book.
- the format is known and no proprietary technology is needed to read the book.
- you can give, lend or sell the book to someone else.
- you can physically scan and copy the book, even without infringing on the copyright.
- nobody has the power to destroy your book.

With e-books (using Amazon as an example, but it refers to others as well):

- Amazon requires users to identify themselves to get an e-book.
- in some countries Amazon says that the users doesn't own the e-book.
- Amazon requires the user to sign a restrictive license on use of the e-book.
- the format is secret and only proprietary and user-restricting software can read it.
- lending is only allowed with some e-books and for a limited time and only after identifying the other person to Amazon
- no giving or selling of the e-book is permitted
- it is impossible to copy the book due to Digital 'Rights' Management and the license, which is even more restrictive than copyright law
- Amazon can remotely delete any e-book that you've bought, whenever they deem it necessary.

Until e-book companies stop denying users their freedom you should stay as far away from them as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2011, 22:28
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan, Netherlands
Boyo; you are back

My weekly rant!

27th May 1965: Over 16,000 days.

"For a moment there I returned to my youth, the early youth, when all nice illusions were gathered together. Then life came and, like a strong wind, blew them away, one by one. What we call happiness is sometimes the accordance between our life and circumstances, our biography and history, our personal aspirations and historical currents. If I look at things that way, I can say: I was born too early to be happy. But birth is one of the many things we do not get to choose. It is part of our destiny."
Alija Izetbegovic

"وما الحيله فقد اراد اعدائي ان يغطوا كل خدماتي بغطاء اسود وقد نجحوا في ذلك."

عبد الحميد الثاني
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2011, 22:51
Xtratime Legend

And just in time too. I mean, I can't even turn my back on this forum for half a year and straight away members start openly talking about buying e-readers.

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2011, 23:52
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Inter, Memphis Tigers

But that's a great response to camelface. The lure of technology is all it's about; no one thinks about the IP issues.

I'm not sure how many youngsters care about it though. I mean, by analogy, people are happy to download their music today instead of having the hard copy or CDs. Of course, the IP issues are very different there, but a lot of people do not seem to be bothered about not having a hard copy for themselves. I buy books to keep them and I still buy CD's and box sets for the same reason.

The fact someone can clear the info on your reader bugs me the most. The information isn't yours and is only transient. might buy one for convenience but I'm still buying the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob W The Bat View Post
These last years after the CL win I noticed when following the Inter online community that many fans have turned into cvcksuckers.
R.I.P: Tazzy, Flo.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old July 16th, 2011, 11:02
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo View Post
And just in time too. I mean, I can't even turn my back on this forum for half a year and straight away members start openly talking about buying e-readers.

My weekly rant!

"For a moment there I returned to my youth, the early youth, when all nice illusions were gathered together. Then life came and, like a strong wind, blew them away, one by one. What we call happiness is sometimes the accordance between our life and circumstances, our biography and history, our personal aspirations and historical currents. If I look at things that way, I can say: I was born too early to be happy. But birth is one of the many things we do not get to choose. It is part of our destiny."
Alija Izetbegovic

عبد الحميد الثاني
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2011, 09:56
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Boyo, I am going to buy a Kindle touch. You have 12 days to stop me.

My weekly rant!

Alija Izetbegovic

عبد الحميد الثاني
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2012, 22:26
Xtratime Legend

Oh for **** sake....

You too?!

I guess by now it's too late. Next time you have one of those crazy ideas, email me and I'll talk you out of it.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2012, 11:57
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Too late I have it. Only paid 10 Euros for Customs

Don't have your email, and I did give you 12 full days to rescue me. Your loss

My weekly rant!

Alija Izetbegovic

عبد الحميد الثاني
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old January 31st, 2012, 09:42
Star Player

Teams: Albania
Quote:
Don't.

Sure, I know, they look really cool and everybody has them and you want to get on board the next new thing. But before you do consider this.

With printed books:

- you can buy one with cash, anonymously, and own it.
- you are not required to sign a license agreement that restricts your use of the book.
- the format is known and no proprietary technology is needed to read the book.
- you can give, lend or sell the book to someone else.
- you can physically scan and copy the book, even without infringing on the copyright.
- nobody has the power to destroy your book.

With e-books (using Amazon as an example, but it refers to others as well):

- Amazon requires users to identify themselves to get an e-book.
- in some countries Amazon says that the users doesn't own the e-book.
- Amazon requires the user to sign a restrictive license on use of the e-book.
- the format is secret and only proprietary and user-restricting software can read it.
- lending is only allowed with some e-books and for a limited time and only after identifying the other person to Amazon
- no giving or selling of the e-book is permitted
- it is impossible to copy the book due to Digital 'Rights' Management and the license, which is even more restrictive than copyright law
- Amazon can remotely delete any e-book that you've bought, whenever they deem it necessary.

Until e-book companies stop denying users their freedom you should stay as far away from them as possible.
you are wrong on many accounts, the main of which is "- the format is secret and only proprietary and user-restricting software can read it."

the format is not secret at all, ebooks are essentially static websites, and there are a zillion readers, converters etc. also keep in mind that many of these clauses like "deleting any book" (don't even know if it really exists) are there just to please the publishers. i seriously doubt they have the capacity to scan kindles all the time and see if there is pirated stuff and whatnot in there. even in the case they know, they would never do it without some publishing house asking it first or whatever, cause word of actions like that spread fast and it scares customers away. imagine if you'd heared that amazon deleted something from someone's kindle. even if this action was legit, would you still consider buying one? i dont think so

And now what will become of us, without any barbarians?
Those people were some kind of solution.

- K. Kavafis
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old January 31st, 2012, 11:17
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

To me, even with those risks available, I am soon to relocate to Palestine. Buying books there is difficult. Buying from Amazon is possible, but shipping costs are high. With Kindle, I can buy books without the hassle.

My weekly rant!

Alija Izetbegovic

عبد الحميد الثاني
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old January 31st, 2012, 23:47
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
I have a Kobo touch, better than a Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Of course you need TGO you retards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutu
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass
post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old February 2nd, 2012, 19:25
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabdob View Post
Too late I have it. Only paid 10 Euros for Customs

Don't have your email, and I did give you 12 full days to rescue me. Your loss

12 days? I rarely visit Xtratime anymore.

I'll PM you my email address.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old February 2nd, 2012, 19:41
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro-AL View Post
you are wrong on many accounts
Yet you neglect to mention them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro-AL
the main of which is "- the format is secret and only proprietary and user-restricting software can read it."

the format is not secret at all
Yes, it is. In my example I'm referring to Amazon's Kindle, which uses the AZW format. It's closed source, proprietary software. You have no idea what it does. You can't examine it and you can't modify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro-AL
ebooks are essentially static websites, and there are a zillion readers, converters etc. also keep in mind that many of these clauses like "deleting any book" (don't even know if it really exists) are there just to please the publishers. Leandro-AL]i seriously doubt they have the capacity to scan kindles all the time and see if there is pirated stuff and whatnot in there. even in the case they know, they would never do it without some publishing house asking it first or whatever, cause word of actions like that spread fast and it scares customers away. imagine if you'd heared that amazon deleted something from someone's kindle. even if this action was legit, would you still consider buying one? i dont think so
Not buying one is precisely my point. But you are incredibly naive if you believe that DRM measures are being implemented for Amazon not to use them. While such gullibility is exactly what the likes of an Amazon wants, you're not doing yourself any favors by lulling yourself into a false sense of security through fallacious reasoning.

Last edited by Boyo; February 3rd, 2012 at 09:24.
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old February 2nd, 2012, 19:46
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:

12 days? I rarely visit Xtratime anymore.

I'll PM you my email address.
You should visit XT more. In fact you should play Mafia, please

My weekly rant!

Alija Izetbegovic

عبد الحميد الثاني
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:25
Xtratime Legend

I'm an old man now. The vote deadline is way past my bedtime.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old February 3rd, 2012, 15:59
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Then keep coming in the morning and post in XT

My weekly rant!

Alija Izetbegovic

عبد الحميد الثاني
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2012, 21:07
Star Player

Quote:
Yet you neglect to mention them.

Yes, it is. In my example I'm referring to Amazon's Kindle, which uses the AZW format. It's closed source, proprietary software. You have no idea what it does. You can't examine it and you can't modify it.

Not buying one is precisely my point. But you are incredibly naive if you believe that DRM measures are being implemented for Amazon not to use them. While such gullibility is exactly what the likes of an Amazon wants, you're not doing yourself any favors by lulling yourself into a false sense of security through fallacious reasoning.
dude they are all html format. it has some small differences with epub but it's not a whole new thing. there are converters from epub to azw. plus kindle reads epub and pdf too so i dont know what u're talking about

i kind am into IT security matters and im telling you, you are being overly paranoid. i have a friend who has tens of pirated books on his kindle and he resides in germany, and nothing has been deleted from his kindle lol

- K. Kavafis
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2012, 21:45
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Actually Kindle does not read epub, and azw is protected, so it can't be converted to that format. But Amazon introduced its open mobi format, where a pdf or epub can be converted.

My weekly rant!

Alija Izetbegovic

عبد الحميد الثاني
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2012, 12:57
Star Player

i dont actually have a kindle but a friend of mine has and he has told me about a pdf to "kindle" converter. he says his kindle reads pdf amd all kinds of stuff. plus he is tech relevant so i dont think he's bullshitting me

- K. Kavafis
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2012, 19:17
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro-AL View Post
i dont actually have a kindle but a friend of mine has and he has told me about a pdf to "kindle" converter. he says his kindle reads pdf amd all kinds of stuff. plus he is tech relevant so i dont think he's bullshitting me
I have kindle touch. What he is saying is relatively true, but the awz thing. Kindle can read pdf, but it does not a good ob with it. For example, if you enlarge the font, the document does not render and zoom so that you have a page. Instead, you have to go up and down or left and right for the same page, which is annoying.

But you can convert it to .mobi format, which is the open format for kindle. Original Kindle books that you buy from Amazon are .awz format, which is copyrighted.

I have the Calibare e-book converter that virtually convert from any format to any other format, except the awz. I think the .mobi was introduced after consumers' complaints, but I am not sure.

My weekly rant!

Alija Izetbegovic

عبد الحميد الثاني

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in