LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2010, 18:07
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Benfica; Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabdob View Post
Price should be $999, and it has 2 operating systems, hence the hybrid thing. For the laptop, it's windows 7; for the tablet it's linux

It should be ready in summer 2010.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/l...d-impressions/
That's double iPad's price however.

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2010, 18:25
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan, Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pila View Post
That's double iPad's price however.
Yes, but it is two systems in one, a gadget and a laptop.

My weekly rant!

27th May 1965: Over 16,000 days.

"For a moment there I returned to my youth, the early youth, when all nice illusions were gathered together. Then life came and, like a strong wind, blew them away, one by one. What we call happiness is sometimes the accordance between our life and circumstances, our biography and history, our personal aspirations and historical currents. If I look at things that way, I can say: I was born too early to be happy. But birth is one of the many things we do not get to choose. It is part of our destiny."
Alija Izetbegovic

"وما الحيله فقد اراد اعدائي ان يغطوا كل خدماتي بغطاء اسود وقد نجحوا في ذلك."

عبد الحميد الثاني
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2010, 18:42
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabdob View Post
The tablet part runs on Lunix skylight, not windows.
From your link:

"The GUI is slightly different than the Skylight -- it's built around a six-panel interface, which can be customized with email, calendar, RSS, and social media widgets, and there's a second four-panel screen with image, music, video, and e-reader widgets that's especially finger friendly"

Basically the sucky "toy" I thought iPad would be. What attracts me is the remade iWorks.
MS Excel and Calc (open office) were not made for touch interface.
It's a nightmare, trust me, and I doubt that cellphone processor would play nice enough with Open Office to make it more convenient than pen and paper.

There's alot of noise on the iPad right now but the hands on are very positive and all highlight the surprising speed.
That resonates well with me and their videos indicate the same. I just watched the Engadgets Skylight vid and the iPad vid.

iPad
http://www.viddler.com/explore/engad...s/1057/104.323

Ideapad
http://www.viddler.com/explore/engad...s/875/104.566/

Notice Ideapad the rendering at 2:30 and the iPad at 6.00.

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2010, 19:06
Zmajevici !
International

Teams: FK Novi Pazar

iPad = star trek pad.

I hope they invent the Holodeck before I die. I would never leave it.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2010, 19:37
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quivering View Post
From your link:

"The GUI is slightly different than the Skylight -- it's built around a six-panel interface, which can be customized with email, calendar, RSS, and social media widgets, and there's a second four-panel screen with image, music, video, and e-reader widgets that's especially finger friendly"

Basically the sucky "toy" I thought iPad would be. What attracts me is the remade iWorks.
MS Excel and Calc (open office) were not made for touch interface.
It's a nightmare, trust me, and I doubt that cellphone processor would play nice enough with Open Office to make it more convenient than pen and paper.

There's alot of noise on the iPad right now but the hands on are very positive and all highlight the surprising speed.
That resonates well with me and their videos indicate the same. I just watched the Engadgets Skylight vid and the iPad vid.

iPad
http://www.viddler.com/explore/engad...s/1057/104.323

Ideapad
http://www.viddler.com/explore/engad...s/875/104.566/

Notice Ideapad the rendering at 2:30 and the iPad at 6.00.
The product reviewed was at its first stage of production, it's not the finished product. In any case, each would use these new technologies for what they want to achieve with. To me iPad is just a large edition of iPod touch! If iWork makes your day, then enjoy it

My weekly rant!

"For a moment there I returned to my youth, the early youth, when all nice illusions were gathered together. Then life came and, like a strong wind, blew them away, one by one. What we call happiness is sometimes the accordance between our life and circumstances, our biography and history, our personal aspirations and historical currents. If I look at things that way, I can say: I was born too early to be happy. But birth is one of the many things we do not get to choose. It is part of our destiny."
Alija Izetbegovic

عبد الحميد الثاني
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old January 29th, 2010, 01:38
Star Player

Teams: Benfica

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old January 29th, 2010, 01:58
Scudetto
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Associazione Calcio Milan
haha

post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old January 29th, 2010, 04:03
Star Player

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old January 29th, 2010, 23:16
Star Player

Teams: Inter, Gli Azzurri
Excellent. I should be able to replace the laptop that I bought a year and a half ago with another one, as this will drive the prices down.

All the apple fan boys, followed by the "sheep" will make sure this is sort of a success.

IPAD??
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2010, 07:21
A10
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Never in B
Looks like a Giant Iphone.

Dont see what is the use of that, apart from green people trying to write on it.

place it on your desk, definitely you have a computer beside it... Move around the office/house with it? Dont know.....
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2010, 09:54
First Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
Star Player

Teams: Inter
iRack > iPad

Aquilani

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalstroem6 View Post
He is quick and fast player he is creative, good dribbler, good on using balls, his passing s very good he is good on long shoots he is good on tackling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniSamp View Post
Fast, quick, dribbling.. yeah this is Aquilani, definitely! I'd also replace Abbiati with him if you need a PK saved
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalstroem6 View Post
http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=252179
Just look at post 3. He is fast and good dribbler
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2010, 16:10
Star Player

post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old June 6th, 2012, 19:48
Legend

I rented an iPad from the library for three days. I took it to see how it would do as a reading device for textbooks that I've been getting in electronic format (PDF). I must say I am cokmpletely impressed, not particularly with the iPad, which does a very good job (smooth system with good touch response), but with the idea of a tablet. It is an excellent device for those who enjoy reading articles online, texts that are not really convenient on a lighter ereader (nothing beats an e-ink reader for reading novels for example, but they do not cover PDFs well).

Anyway, I've been having some ankle problems and the idea to carry many texts with you on a light device is very attractive. Apparently, this could be a new trend for textbook formats as well, one that I would definitely embrace if I go to a professional school.

The iPad has a ten inch display; I am not willing to shell out 419$ on a tablet (iPad 2), so been looking at the Blackberry Playbook that sells for 200$ now. The screen size is seven inch, and I am not sue that is good enough for PDF reading. But I heard it lighter than the iPad (good for my arthritic body) and with good hardware, so will go check it out at the store possibly today.
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2012, 09:50
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I've read many positive reviews for the Playbook. Check the kindle Fire, it's 7-inch screen too but has more content, I think.

My weekly rant!

Alija Izetbegovic

عبد الحميد الثاني
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2012, 10:17
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend

The idea of the tablet is indeed a great one.

I've been looking for an excuse to buy one for a while now, but can't think of anything beyond travelling to justify it just yet.

Look into Android tablets if you're after something cheaper, there is a storm of Chinese generics hitting the market, and if you do the research you should be able to find one which is quite good for the price. We're talking specs of a $400-$500 tablet at half the prices, if not less in cases.

Android ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich, version 4 of Android) is probably the next best to iOS. Better for some, not a whole lot different for the others, if you know what I mean.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in