Popularity of Moscow teams - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2014, 08:32 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Popularity of Moscow teams

We know Spartak courtesy of success during and after Soviet times (plus being linked the least to the state) is by far the most supported in Moscow but what about after?

I'm thinking CSKA is next, ok during Soviet times and even more successful after. Maybe next is Lokomotiv, not so good pre-91 but moderate success since and have what always looks like a young fan-base when I watch their games. Then Dinamo, very good during Soviet times but underachieving badly since then, I read somewhere they have an aging fan-base. Last of course would be Torpedo, who were quite decent before 91, way ahead of Lokomotiv but have struggled since then, especially last decade which almost resulted in them disappearing.

Any percentages or surveys? Any demographic and/or geographical patterns to support or has it become really blurred in modern times, or was it always like that?

Also, CDG I will ask you to please remain calm and offer rational and balanced responses without references to Morecambe or 7,800. Cheers mate.

Œuvres complètes de Fikret Smiljanić
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2014, 08:38
Xtratime Elite

Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Lobo View Post
We know Spartak courtesy of success during and after Soviet times (plus being linked the least to the state) is by far the most supported in Moscow but what about after?

I'm thinking CSKA is next, ok during Soviet times and even more successful after. Maybe next is Lokomotiv, not so good pre-91 but moderate success since and have what always looks like a young fan-base when I watch their games. Then Dinamo, very good during Soviet times but underachieving badly since then, I read somewhere they have an aging fan-base. Last of course would be Torpedo, who were quite decent before 91, way ahead of Lokomotiv but have struggled since then, especially last decade which almost resulted in them disappearing.

Any percentages or surveys? Any demographic and/or geographical patterns to support or has it become really blurred in modern times, or was it always like that?

Also, CDG I will ask you to please remain calm and offer rational and balanced responses without references to Morecambe or 7,800. Cheers mate.
Every one I've seen has Spartak 1 and CSKA 2. Those two travel the best along with Zenit.

R.I.P Ari
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2014, 06:14 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

This wasn't a troll thread guys.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2014, 08:56
CDG
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sviatoslav View Post
Last season CSKA Morecambe were the 12th best supported RPL side out of 16 in a Championship winning season.

Lokomotive Moscow finished with the 7th highest gate and didn't win the Championship.

This season for Moscow clubs only Spartak are in 1st place averaging over 30,000, Lokomotiv are the 2nd best supported team with CSKA Morecambe are in 3rd and just slightly ahead of Dynamo and Torpedo. I'm sure at the end of the season Dynamo and Torpedo will both have higher gates than CSKA Morecambe as they both have a bigger fan base. Ural and Arsenal Tula are averaging more than CSKA Morecambe which again clearly shows if Ural got more fans last season than CSKA Morecambe when CSKA were the Champions and are getting a bigger average gate this season too, they without all reasonable doubt have more fans than CSKA Morecambe. You can't argue with that.

Last season in a Champion season Lokomotiv Moscow still averaged a higher average league gate than CSKA Morecambe who were the Champions. Amkar Perm, Rostov and Ural also averaged a higher gate which in a Championship season clearly shows they have a bigger fan base than CSKA Morecambe and Loko have nailed them last and this season which again put it beyond all reasonable doubt they are the 2nd best supported team in Moscow. I don't begin to want to think what CSKA Morecambe crowds would have been without the Championship? Take this season going for 13 spins on the trot and they get a completely laughable gate of 6,000 home fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you imagine your teams Roma or Marseille going for 13 wins on the spin and getting 6,000??????

Spartak 1st
Loko 2nd
Dynamo 3rd
Torepdo 4th
CSKA Morecambe 5th

Last edited by CDG; November 16th, 2014 at 09:07.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2014, 15:42
Premier Player

Loko drew in a lot of fans due to their challenging and breaking Spartak dominance early last decade under the guidance of the living legend Loskov.

Definitely a young fanbase, hardly anyone gave a shit about them in soviet times.

Past ten years I'd say..

Spartak

Loko
CSKA

Dynamo
Torpedo

Loko and CSKA might be pretty even in terms of supporters, but Loko definitely built the better stadium going presence over this period.The other two are pretty regional\marginal and failed to grow post-soviet, especially Dynamo who were heavily tied to the state.Expect Dynamo to slowly come on again though.

The 90s..Spartak were consistently number one and Loko clearly the least supported.The others all jostled for 2nd in terms of attendance at various times depending on how they were doing, with Dynamo probably having the most supporters, but a seriously declining stadium going culture.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old November 17th, 2014, 08:11 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in