Achtung, achtung, pozor, pozor!! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 19:43 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: DINAMO & CHELSEA
Achtung, achtung, pozor, pozor!!

how much simillar are Russian language and Ukranian.. can you understand each others.. i supose that you can, but can someone describe in which things is difference the biggest, and other things..

please be fast, because this is very important for me at this moment, 'hvala unaprijed'

Football champion!
Live stream Live streaming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 19:49
Green_Lion1963

Some things are similar, some aren't...

I don't know if "attention" is "pozor" in Russian but in Ukrainian its "Uvaha", theres an example of something very different...But for example the word "only" in Ukrainian is "tilky" and in Russian is "tolko"..

Russian is more a language like German... Not really ugly... But I can't describe it.. Ukrainian is known to be one of the worlds most beautiful languages...

I read that during CPCP times when making a movie the Soviet authorities would consider what type of movie it was... If was like a horror, or action movie, they would make it in Russian as it fits that type of setting better... Or if it was a love movie... Or a poet or something, they would speak Ukrainian because it sounds more beautiful, like that...

"Old Slavic", which I believe was the first Slavic language and the language spoken in Kyivs'ka Ros' is basically Ukrainian, but of course, today's Ukrainian is different then that olddddd version of Ukrainian, like today's English is different from the one spoken hundreds of years ago.

Thats why there's so many good Ukrainian musicians ; Tartak, Vova Zi Lvova, Ruslana, Rosava, V.V., Braty Haidjukiny, etc etc there's literally hundreds - Because in Ukrainian everything flows together so well that when you speak it almost sounds like you're rhyming things on purpose...

Can I understand Russian? Not really.. When reading it once in a while... But for the most part, no, I can't. As for my family in Ukraine, some know it, some don't..Mostly the older ones know it, the ones my age don't.... I think its the same on the other side ; I think most Russians at least understand Ukrainian a little bit.

Last edited by Green_Lion1963; September 7th, 2006 at 19:57.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 19:57 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Lion1963
Some things are similar, some aren't...

I don't know if "attention" is "pozor" in Russian but in Ukrainian its "Uvaha", theres an example of something very different...But for example the word "only" in Ukrainian is "tilky" and in Russian is "tolko"..

Russian is more a language like German... Not really ugly... But I can't describe it.. Ukrainian is known to be one of the worlds most beautiful languages...

I read that during CPCP times when making a movie the Soviet authorities would consider what type of movie it was... If was like a horror, or action movie, they would make it in Russian as it fits that type of setting better... Or if it was a love movie... Or a poet or something, they would speak Ukrainian because it sounds more beautiful, like that...

"Old Slavic", which I believe was the first Slavic language and the language spoken in Kyivs'ka Ros' is basically Ukrainian, but of course, today's Ukrainian is different then that olddddd version of Ukrainian, like today's English is different from the one spoken hundreds of years ago.

Thats why there's so many good Ukrainian musicians ; Tartak, Vova Zi Lvova, Ruslana, Rosava, V.V., Braty Haidjukiny, etc etc there's literally hundreds - Because in Ukrainian everything flows together so well that when you speak it almost sounds like you're rhyming things on purpose...

Can I understand Russian? Not really.. When reading it once in a while... But for the most part, no, I can't.

'pozor' on croatian means attention so i though ..

thanx man, but i really can't belive that ukranians and russians don't understand each others..

why i'm asking this, because i tommorow must to decide, do i really want to study Ukranian, or wait one year and than sign for russian language for my college..

i still don't know what to do..

cheers..

Football champion!

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 20:01
Green_Lion1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMAICA

thanx man, but i really can't belive that ukranians and russians don't understand each others..

why i'm asking this, because i tommorow must to decide, do i really want to study Ukranian, or wait one year and than sign for russian language for my college..

cheers..
Well some do. Its tough to explain. Theres different dialects kind of. All the dialects understand eachother 100%, but some dialects don't know other languages. You have the central Ukrainian dialect - This is mostly Ukrainian, a tiny bit of mixed in Russian here and there. You have eastern Ukrainian dialect - This is Ukrainian with much more Russian words mixed in. Then theres my dialect - The Western Ukrainian one. It's basically 100% pure as Ukrainian can get. Sometimes mixed in with words from Polish or Hungarian. (Same with Russian in Russia, many many different dialects).

Im sure more people can speak Russian in Europe then Ukrainian, but I don't see why that would matter. Knowing Ukrainian, IMO, as kind of the "founding language" of Slavic languages enables you to know most Slavic languages. I say, learn Ukrainian . See why people say this is so beautiful . PM me if you need anything .
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 20:03
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMAICA

cheers..
You should better take some French lessons!
its aléz and not ale !

I will study the Russian language in two years!

Ma question préférée: qu'est-ce j'vais faire de tout cet oseille?
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 20:06
Green_Lion1963

Sometimes peopel can be hostile towards you if you speak Russian, as many people accross EE were opressed against for many years by them - And some animosity has built up. For example, in western Ukraine, if you speak Russian to anyone, most of the time, from what I've seen, people just walk away. Same can happen in Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, and so forth. Not saying it will, just watch out ... If you know Ukrainian though, you can get around perfect in Poland, Czech, Hungary, etc, as it's similar and no one will have animosity towards you. Maybe some people dislike us in Moscow but I think that's it.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 20:13 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Well some do. Its tough to explain. Theres different dialects kind of. All the dialects understand eachother 100%, but some dialects don't know other languages. You have the central Ukrainian dialect - This is mostly Ukrainian, a tiny bit of mixed in Russian here and there. You have eastern Ukrainian dialect - This is Ukrainian with much more Russian words mixed in. Then theres my dialect - The Western Ukrainian one. It's basically 100% pure as Ukrainian can get. Sometimes mixed in with words from Polish or Hungarian. (Same with Russian in Russia, many many different dialects).

Im sure more people can speak Russian in Europe then Ukrainian, but I don't see why that would matter. Knowing Ukrainian, IMO, as kind of the "founding language" of Slavic languages enables you to know most Slavic languages. I say, learn Ukrainian . See why people say this is so beautiful . PM me if you need anything .

ok, i'm counting on you and everybody els..

but as i said, i didn't make my decision yet, but i will tell you..

i'm sure that ukranian is beautiful language, but i also think that i wouldn't know diffrence between ukranian and russian.. so, i will see..

other thing what is bodering me all the time, is, if i even learn one of those two languages (russ/ukr) when i will use them.. on forum?!, no! i don't think to study and language only that i on the end use them on football forum..

:rollani: ..

btw.. thanx

Football champion!
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 20:21
Green_Lion1963

Many foreigners learn Russian... It almost gets kind of boring.... Even for Russians... Where as not so many foreigners learn Ukrainian, and when they do Ukrainians become very happy and excited with them... Theres a guy here at XT from Norway who's learning Ukrainian, now he went to Ukraine (Lviv) to live/study for half a year . He even supports the local Lviv football club, FC Karpaty. He's having a great time in Lviv and in Norway when he began learning Ukrainian, with the other Ukrianians.

Im almost 100% sure, most here will say Russian you should learn, because, simply, this is a Russian forum that you posted it in. Maybe you should've posted it in the Ukrainian forum too .
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 20:34 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Im almost 100% sure, most here will say Russian you should learn, because, simply, this is a Russian forum that you posted it in. Maybe you should've posted it in the Ukrainian forum too .
i really wanted answer quickly, and i saw that this forum is bigger than ukranian so i posted thread here..

but thank you really for all informations that you gave me..

after all.. maybe that language would be very good for me, ukraine and russia are very big countries with big market.. so i expect that your languages will be popular..

Football champion!
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 20:47
Green_Lion1963

Surprisingly, no one really posts here . There's 2 girls from Moscow I believe that are here, but they never post. There's a Russian guy living in Chicago who posts a few times every few days, and some people who don't speak Russian post every few days too. Good luck, though
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 20:54
World Class Player

One big advantage of Russian: you'll be able to read much much much more great literature in original than if you learn Ukrainian. Of course I don't deny that there's something to read in Ukrainian, too, but... Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Blok, Mandelstam, Akhmatova, Nabokov, Bulgakov...

As for similarity, I think the two languages indeed are mutually intelligible, but for somebody who knows neither of the two they obviously aren't.

And Kozak, not that MANY people learn Russian. Maybe less than Ukrainian, but still very few.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 20:57
World Class Player

btw attention is vnimanie (внимание) in Russian.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 20:57
Green_Lion1963

even you know I changed my username, do you read the Ukrainian forum, or, what?

I heard Russian literature is good. There's famous Ukrainian poets too though ; Lesya Ukrainka, Ivan Franko, Taras Shevchenko....etc...
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 20:59
Green_Lion1963

And for me, I do notice a big difference in Russian and Ukrainian. One big one could be the "e" sound, Russians always say it like "ye", and the "o" sound, they always say it like "a"..

I.e "Molodets'"...In Ukrainian its said basically how its written..Its the same spelling in Russian too... But they say it like Maladyets' p. Or instead of the Russian word Pozhaluysta (sp.?) they say Pazhalauista ..
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 21:00
World Class Player

Quote:
even you know I changed my username, do you read the Ukrainian forum, or, what?

I heard Russian literature is good. There's famous Ukrainian poets too though ; Lesya Ukrainka, Ivan Franko, Taras Shevchenko....etc...
That's hilarious It's not good. It's brilliant, gorgeous, fantastic (errr, Jurgen, come help me out and continue the list ).
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 21:01
Green_Lion1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger_ale
That's hilarious It's not good. It's brilliant, gorgeous, fantastic (errr, Jurgen, come help me out and continue the list ).
Common, everyones a little biased when they talk about their own culture and etc.... It's good .
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 21:04
World Class Player

Quote:
And for me, I do notice a big difference in Russian and Ukrainian. One big one could be the "e" sound, Russians always say it like "ye", and the "o" sound, they always say it like "a"..

I.e "Molodets'"...In Ukrainian its said basically how its written..Its the same spelling in Russian too... But they say it like Maladyets' p. Or instead of the Russian word Pozhaluysta (sp.?) they say Pazhalauista ..
And we pronounce 50 (пятьдесят) like питьсят/пидисят/писят

Of course Russian and Ukrainian are not as similar as, say, Croatian and Serbian are. But I do understand 90% when I hear somebody speaking Ukrainian. It's even easier with the texts. So...
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 21:05
Green_Lion1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger_ale
And we pronounce 50 (пятьдесят) like питьсят/пидисят/писят

Of course Russian and Ukrainian are not as similar as, say, Croatian and Serbian are. But I do understand 90% when I hear somebody speaking Ukrainian. It's even easier with the texts. So...
Ти звідки?
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 21:05
World Class Player

Quote:
Common, everyones a little biased when they talk about their own culture and etc.... It's good .
No bias actually. Go to the books forum and ask how many Russian writers people know. Then ask about Ukrainians.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 21:07
World Class Player

Quote:
Ти звідки?
I didn't say I understand everything and two words is not a text p

wtf did you say? you what?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in