Russian National Team News - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:05 Thread Starter
Rookie

Teams: RUS & UKR NTs & Leagues
Russian National Team News

There used to be a Russian NT thread when I was a frequent here (which was some time ago). I can't find one now, so I'll start one just for the sake of it (discussion purposes only). Please post RNT news here!

With Ukraine's recent entry into the World Cup, and its success thus far (aside from that dreadful loss to Spain), every RNT fan wonders why Russia has not done well internationally since Euro '96.

It's no knock against Ukraine, I love them too, but I think the RNT outclasses them in every respect with these obvious exceptions:

1) the CF positions (Sychev, Kerzhakov, Arshavin, and Kirichenko are far below the calibur of Shevchenko, and I would even say below that of Voronin)

2) the LB position (Nesmachny isn't super, but I don't think Sennikov or anyone else I can think of is better than him)

3) the GK position (pretty close, but IMO, Ovchinnikov and Akinfeev are only minimally better than Shovkovsky at the moment)

Aside from this, Ukraine has no comparison for the following positions / players: AF (Titov, Loskov, Semak, Radimov), RM (Izmailov, Zhirkov), LF (Bilyaletdinov, Karyaka, even Gusev), DF (Smertin, Aldonin, even Khokhlov), RB (Evseev, Anjukov), CB (Ignashevich, Berezutsky brothers). (Sorry if some of these players are slightly out of position, its just for argument's sake.) Comparatively, Ukraine's Rebrov (playing in the AF position), Tymoschuk and Fedorov, might only barely be on par with Russia's AF, DF, and CB positions on their good days.

Assuming that super strikers don't make a team all by themselves (as exhibited by Didier Drogba and Cte D'Ivoire) it's not the players and their skill that's the problem. The problem can only lay in the choice of players and tactics. More specifically, it must be a coaching problem. (I know, it has been discussed here over and over during the past 3-4 years.)

I think the RNT has had something like 10 coaches / caretakers in the past 3.5 years. That's outrageous and saddening. I say this not only because of Russia's poor record, but because no RNT fan can understand why each and every one of these coaches / caretakers would do such a stupid thing as to play only one lone CF in the formation. This is especially so when they had Sychev, Kerzhakov, Arshavin, and Kirichenko all at their disposal. Not only that, but these coaches hardly used these forwards at all; they used Bulykin instead. Yes, he's tall, but he's hardly a Koller, and even hardly a Crouch. And yes, I understand these coaches repeatedly saying to the media that Titov and Loskov "are supposed to support the lone striker" but they are hardly strikers themselves. If they were even serious about this tactic, they would have put Semak there instead of leaving him off the roster for most of the last decade.

Oleg Blokhin and the Ukrainian NT are a prime example of what good coaching and good player choice and tactics can do for a team. (Are there rumours that Spartak want Blokhin?) I'm glad that Hiddink is now the RNT coach, with all his experience in bringing lesser teams to higher glory.

What do you guys think? Will things change under Hiddink?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2006, 08:29
Legend

Sure, Sheva is better than any Russian striker, but I rate Kerzh and Sychev above Voronin.

It's a coaching problem, a problem of mentality, a problem of passion. Ukraine also looks a bit static from time to time, but as I often say, the Russian NT looks like a bunch of roboters searching for a microchip, there is simply no heart and no will to resist a superior opponent (Portugal... ). Hope Hiddink can change this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old June 26th, 2006, 23:33
Premier Player

It might be a somewhat silly question and I don't want to get into politics, but how have you percieved the change of the Russian NT shirt colour from blue to red?

I guess some people will argue that the colour red has always had a special meaning in Russia, also before the USSR, and is by no means just communist. For example the word красивый (beautiful) derives from красный (red). So maybe yours truly is very oldfashioned, but to me it's still the communist colour in the first place.

Another funny thing about the "new" shirt is the troika of three normally incompatible emblems: the red shirt colour (communism), the coat of arms (IMO still a very tsarist symbol) and, last but not least, Nike's small hook (capitalism of course, hehe). Only in Russia... p

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2006, 02:32
True-Kozak

*** no name calling please ***

Aside from Ukraine, there IS very good EE teams though. Czechs, Croats, upstart Slovaks, Polaks, even the Macedonians are getting decent. The Greeks (EE ), are good too..Did I miss anyone

Last edited by OAnimal; July 7th, 2006 at 15:45.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2006, 08:38
Legend

Romania and Bulgaria are great Eastern European football nations (and way better than Poland or Slovakia), Greece not.

T-K, I understand your joy and it is nice to see Ukraine in the quarter finals, still there's no need to enjoy it on costs of the great sport nation of Russia...
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2006, 13:08
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mago
I guess some people will argue that the colour red has always had a special meaning in Russia, also before the USSR, and is by no means just communist. For example the word (beautiful) derives from (red). So maybe yours truly is very oldfashioned, but to me it's still the communist colour in the first place.
I see some people really miss that good old Red Danger
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2006, 13:21
Legend

Teams: Slovenia, Brazil, Russia, Korea, Vasco da Gama
Quote:
Another funny thing about the "new" shirt is the troika of three normally incompatible emblems: the red shirt colour (communism), the coat of arms (IMO still a very tsarist symbol) and, last but not least, Nike's small hook (capitalism of course, hehe). Only in Russia... p
Didn't know that Coca-Cola, who always uses red color on their cans, are communists as well...

Caipirinha: 6
Brazilian NT shirt: 70
Flight to Rio de Janeiro: 400
Seeing Italian NT kicked out of major tournament: PRICELESS

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
All NBA and NHL except Red Wings
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2006, 13:37
Xtratime Elite

Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
finally a thread liek this. IMo Akinfeev is much better than Shovkovsky, and Voronin I used to rate, but this WC he has been very selfish and ineffective.

Right now in Russia we need some defensive midfelders. Aldonin is a good all around player but he's not a pitbull defensively, same with Loskov who's basically a playmaker.

R.I.P Ari
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2006, 13:39
World Class Player

Vadim, edit yourself
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2006, 13:43
Xtratime Elite

Temeraire although Alexei isn't a pure LB we can play him there. SO the back line would look like this.

Anyukov-Vasya Berezutskiy- Ignashevitch (k)-A. Berezutskiy

R.I.P Ari
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2006, 13:44
Xtratime Elite

btw maybe we should make this the official Euro 2008 thread?

R.I.P Ari
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2006, 14:03
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAnimal
Didn't know that Coca-Cola, who always uses red color on their cans, are communists as well...
Why should Coca Cola remind me of communism? Coca Cola have never been communist, Russia on the other hand has.

All I wanted to say with my post is that today you have to be very careful with the red colour in Russia, and restoring the "old" shirt seems wrong to me.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2006, 14:05
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Why should Coca Cola remind me of communism? Coca Cola have never been communist, Russia on the other hand has.

All I wanted to say with my post is that today you have to be very careful with the red colour in Russia, and restoring the "old" shirt seems wrong to me.

it's just that the nike shirts are very ugly. I wish we had Adidas.

R.I.P Ari
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2006, 15:33
True-Kozak

Akinfeev is good but we have another great GK coming up, Shust. Pyatov and Rybka are also good.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2006, 15:35
Xtratime Elite

I've heard that Shust is supposed to be pretty promising. How old is he btw? Akinfeev for a 19 year old is EXCELLENT, named by FOX ( sports network here in the states) as the best young gk in the world

R.I.P Ari
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2006, 15:47
True-Kozak

Im not sure how old Shust is, I think 19 or 20...But yea I'll admit Akinfeev is quite good.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2006, 15:57
Xtratime Elite

You are unoficially banned form this forum until you get rid of that ludicrous signature Kozak :frustrat:

R.I.P Ari
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2006, 15:59
True-Kozak

Ludicrous? You mean the rapper? p
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2006, 16:06
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by True-Kozak
Ludicrous? You mean the rapper? p
I don't want to get itno a shouting match but explaine to e how you are the kings? Russia is clearly number # 1, not at this very moment, but overall #1

And I don't like Ludicrous. I mostly listen to Nas, Mobb Deep, Wu-Tang, B.I.G., and others.

R.I.P Ari
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2006, 16:14
True-Kozak

I speak the truth, and nothing but the truth. .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in