Hello from England- Shinnik's Shtaniuk - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2004, 14:03 Thread Starter
Rookie

Hello from England- Shinnik's Shtaniuk

Hi everyone,
I hope you guys can help me. I am a Stoke City supporter in England and amongst our team we used to have a player called Sergei Shtaniuk, a superb Belorus central defender who is now playing for Shinnik Yaroslavl in the Russian Premier. When we lost Sergei, who had to go back to Russia for family reasons, we were heartbroken! The guy was the best central defender at the club for 20 years in my opinion. He had a reputation for being very classy but very tough. I'm sure a few strikers died facing him!
Anyway, I would like to know if any of you guys know how Shtaniuk is doing at Shinnik these days? What is his form like? I know he is still a regular for the Belorus NT as I saw them play v Italy and unluckily lose 4-3. There's a lot of people at Stoke who would like to know how he is getting on.
Good luck to you all and I hope to hear from you soon.
Jason.
PS
Why are there so many Brazilians in Russia at the moment??? It must be a strange cultural/weather difference!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2004, 14:07
Legend

Hi Jason and welcome to the forum! I didn't keep an eye on Shtaniuk these season, but regarding the Brazilians:

Money talks!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2004, 14:21 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the welcome Viola, nice to be here. I should know that money talks, being a supporter of an English team. That Avatar of yours- is that Yashin at Ibrox Park Glasgow? Austria, huh? Always quite liked Rapid Wien of Sturm Graz myself. Great names for teams!
Any Shtaniuk info regarding this season from anyone is appreciated. It's interesting that since he left the number 5 shirt has never been used since. Maybe we're hoping he'll come back to his spiritual home!!!

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2004, 14:27
Legend

Well, I have a soft spot for Stoke City myself and yes, Yashin!

Sturm and Rapid...no comment...
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2004, 14:30
Star Player

Hi, Jason.
As far as I know, Shtanyuk is doing okay and even scored 2 goals in this season. He regulary appears in Shinnik's line-up and it seems to me Dolmatov (Shinnik coach) is satisfied with how he plays. I remember him in the last match Shinnik-Lokomotiv and I would say he played good.
As to the Brazilians - I thought there're a lot of them everywhere, not only in Russia.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2004, 14:50 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks Viola and Infinity. Ill post a little later with some more info!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2004, 14:56
Legend

welcome on board Jason
nice to see somebody interested in Shinnik here :eekani:
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2004, 15:03 Thread Starter
Rookie

Sergei

Infinity, thanks for the info
Shtaniuk was very popular for being so tough. I swear I saw him take a free kick one day from at least 35-40 metres that missed the goal but broke a seat in the stand because he hit it so hard. He didn't score often but wwas a great threat from corners because he could hold half of the defence back on his own! He didn't score many but made many!
Viola, you like Stoke? Unusual in Osterriech no doubt! Stoke have played in Austria pre season twice out of the last 3 years, playing amongst others Sturm (I think), Levski Sofia, Genclerbirligi, Roma, Wacker Burghausen and (don't laugh) SV Gmunden and Gratkorn. My friend went and brought me back an SV Gmunden pennant and a Gratkorn scarf! Bad Ichsel I think was the location, a big training complex.
Anyway, Yashin played at Stoke in 1964 or 65 for the Testimonial match of Sir Stanley Matthews along with Pele, Eusebio, Puskas, Di Stefano amongst others. I have a neighbour who is 75 and whenever he mentions it he looks like he is going to cry, having seen those players turn up at Stoke for our (and some may argue England's) greatest ever talent. He said it was almost watched in silence, so good were the players on display.
I'll be sure to check back here soon!
Jason
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2004, 15:44
Legend

Wow, Jason, nice anecdotes!

Bad Ischl and Gmunden are in my home province - but a Gmunden scarf is a real rarity. Gratkorn though have reached the second league by now.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2004, 19:27
Xtratime Elite

Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
isn't Shtaniuk Shinnik's captain?

R.I.P Ari
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2004, 20:06
Star Player

Yes, he is. At least in that match with Lokomotiv on 12th of November he was a captain.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2004, 11:00 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the replies everyone. I notice many of you follow other teams around Europe and the World at large. Perhaps I can provide you with this link:
www.subsidesports.co.uk
This store is based in England and provides the best range of domestic and international shirts for fans I've ever seen. Just where the hell else can a guy in England get a Shinnik Yaroslavl shirt? I couldn't believe that when I saw it. That's just crazy- it's not as if this shop is in London it's in Exeter, a little town in the far south west of England. If anyone needs a link to a more obscure English (or Scottish) club in particular, just post on here and I'll see if I can get their merchandise contact details up for you.
Best Regards to you all
Jason
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2004, 11:14
Legend

Thanks Jason, I know both Exeter and subsides, just the combination of both is news for me. So did you get a Shinnik shirt with Shtaniuk's name on it?
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2004, 11:39 Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi Viola. I hear there's a subside in Berlin too for all you Deutsche Sprecher out there.
Yeah I got the old one (cheaper!) but declined the printing. Would love to have seen it in Cyrillic though! I have an old Stoke City away shirt with Shtanner's name on it though. Just says "Shtaniuk 5"
Incidentally re Shtanner: his local nickname! Stanley Matthews was known as Stanner around here so it was easy to remember. Also there was a mass mispronunciation/misspelling of Shtaniuk's name. Shatniuk, Shantuk, Staniuk, Shtanyuk etc. Of course there's then- Sergei (ei like Eye), Sergei (ei like EEEE) and then a new spelling of Siarhei turned up! So he got called Shtanner by everyone (all now confused) like a version of Stan! We just got used to having 5 Icelanders in the squad all with names ending in SSON. And now in our defence we have a Hill, Hall and Halls. The local Radio Sports man must be nearing a complete emotional breakdown.

Apparently Sergei did an interview which someone found on the net and later turned up in our fanzine, with a Russian sports reporter who asked him what it was like to be in England. Two funny things came out- he said it wasn't always covered in fog like he had always been told and that when he go into his car he often drove a while on the wrong side of the road before realising his mistake! Lucky he wasn't killed. It seems that footballers are not Albert Einstein- as if we didn't know!
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2004, 11:43
Legend

lol funny post, Jason:dielaugh:
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2004, 22:00
Legend

So he had the choice between being covered in fog and wrestling bears...brave guy..
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2004, 22:39 Thread Starter
Rookie

Jesus, is Yaroslavl that bad?? What is the place like? I imagine it would be pretty grim...at least we don't have bears roaming the streets here!
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2004, 22:55
Legend

Just kidding, Yaroslavl is city rich in tradition and not too far away from Moscow - and their ice hockey arena is top modern and a constant sell-out as I've just learned...
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:46 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ice Hockey, now there's a game. Legalised violence. The British equivalent is Rugby, where a crowd leave the game relaxed because they've just seen 30 men beat the crap out of each other for 80 minutes. Never any crowd trouble because they've seen enough!
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old November 23rd, 2004, 11:08
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason72
Ice Hockey, now there's a game. Legalised violence.
I wouldn't call our hockey "violence". I'd even say that so-called "european hockey" that we have here is just a kindergarten in comparison with the hockey they play in NHL. And I love the european kind of hockey more though have never seen NHL games alive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in