28.04: friendly Norway-Russia - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2004, 15:06 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Udinese,Lokomotiv Moscow,Russia NT
28.04: friendly Norway-Russia

Opportunity knocks for Russia trio

Denis Boyarintsev, Andrei Arshavin and Dmitri Kiritchenko have been handed a chance to win a place at UEFA EURO 2004™ following selection for Russia’s friendly against Norway next Wednesday.

The 26-year-old FC Rubin Kazan winger Boyarintsev had impressed coach Georgi Yartsev during a couple of recent unofficial friendly games in Japan and may yet win his first official cap against Norway. Meanwhile, FC Zenit St. Peterburg midfield player Arshavin, 22, and PFC CSKA Moskva striker Kiritchenko, 27, could add to their small collection of caps after both playing their last game for Russia against Romania in February 2003.

Rubin defender Roman Sharonov earns his second consecutive call-up following an impressive display against Bulgaria in March. Meanwhile, CSKA's Evgeni Aldonin and FC Krylya Sovetov winger Andrei Karyaka are back in the squad despite being overlooked for the Bulgaria game.

CSKA goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev, who is serving a five-match domestic ban, retains his place in the squad as Sergei Ovchinnikov's deputy, but RC Celta de Vigo's Alexander Mostovoi and FC Porto's Dmitri Alenitchev have been rested. ( damnit:depress: )

Russia squad:
Ovchinnikov, Akinfeev, Evseev, Sennikov, Ignashevitch, Onopko, Sharonov, Smertin, Gusev, Aldonin, Radimov, Izmailov, Loskov, Semshov, Boyarintsev, Karyaka, Bulykin, Sychev, Kirichenko, Kerzhakov, Arshavin.
http://www.euro2004.com/News/Kind=1/newsId=171506.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2004, 15:12 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Solskjær back for Norway

Ole Gunnar Solskjær is back in Norway's squad for the friendly against Russia on 28 April.

The 31-year-old Manchester United FC player has not represented his country since undergoing a knee operation in September, but returns for Åge Hareide's first home game since taking over as Norway coach.

Hareide was coach at Molde FK when they sold Solskjær to United in 1996 and he said he was looking forward to working with the striker again: "Ole Gunnar is fully fit now, and he will be a positive factor for the squad, even though he may not play for 90 minutes."

AC Siena striker Tore André Flo was surprisingly omitted from the squad, however. "Flo looked tired against Serbia and Montenegro, so we felt it was for the best that we rested him now," Hareide said.

Norway squad
E Johnsen, Myhre, Holtan, Lundekvam, Stensaas, Basma, R Johnsen, El Fakiri, Riise, Riseth, Solskjær, Solli, Andresen, Brattbakk, Carew, Pedersen, Helstad, Hoset, F Johnsen, Rushfeldt.

post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2004, 15:14 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Re: 28.04: friendly Norway-Russia

Quote:
Originally posted by Arianna

Russia squad:
Ovchinnikov, Akinfeev, Evseev, Sennikov, Ignashevitch, Onopko, Sharonov, Smertin, Gusev, Aldonin, Radimov, Izmailov, Loskov, Semshov, Boyarintsev, Karyaka, Bulykin, Sychev, Kirichenko, Kerzhakov, Arshavin.
6 Loko's players

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2004, 21:28
Rising Star

5 CSKA players:rollani:

no Semak,:rollani:

is the match in Oslo or Moscow?
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2004, 21:29 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by CSKA Now
5 CSKA players:rollani:

no Semak,:rollani:

is the match in Oslo or Moscow?
well...no Mostovoi too :depress:

the game will be in Oslo!

post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2004, 00:15
Rising Star

man we really need this victory.

either 1-0 for us or 1-1.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2004, 13:09 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
1-0 for us or 1-1.
no please...no draw anymore lol...
i want a victory ...go Dima go,score for us

post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2004, 19:19
Rising Star

ya seriously, im sick and tired of this draw after draw shit.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2004, 16:42 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Yartsev happy with Nordic test

Russia coach Georgi Yartsev has admitted that Norway are not ideal opponents for their latest UEFA EURO 2004™ warm-up but he still expects Wednesday night's contest to be valuable.

Key factor
Yartsev's men will face three teams from southern Europe in the group stage at this summer's finals - Spain, Portugal and Greece - but the coach said he was more concerned with the strength of the opposition rather than their style of play. He said: "In this situation the key factor was that Norwegians had agreed to play. They are strong team with some really good players."

Forward strength
Among Norway's best players is the returning Ole Gunnar Solskjær. The Manchester United FC forward is back to fitness after a serious knee injury and should ask questions of Russia's defence, along with AS Roma's John Carew. Tore André Flo, another proven forward, has been rested. Yartsev said: "We will not play for a win at any price but preparations are much better when you are winning."

New faces
Last month, Russia were held to a 2-2 draw by fellow finalists Bulgaria in Sofia and Yartsev will hope for even better from his men this time around, especially with a few more rounds of the new Russian campaign under their belts. Promising early-season form has led to recalls for Evgeni Aldonin, Andrei Karyaka, Dmitri Kiritchenko, Andrei Arshavin and Denis Boyarintsev although those absent on Wednesday night need not necessarily fear for their places in Portugal.

Duo rested
The likes of Porto FC midfield player Dmitri Alenichev and RC Celta de Vigo captain Aleksandr Mostovoi are missing but both will be back. "I know their potential and I am relying on them," said Yartsev, who has admitted to knowing 80 per cent of his finals squad and the likely lineup for Russia's first match against Spain on 12 June.

Goalkeeping dilemma
Of the possible experiments on Wednesday night, uncapped PFC CSKA Moskva goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev is tipped to make his first international appearance, especially given the recent domestic form of Sergei Ovchinnikov, of FC Lokomotiv Moskva. Both Akinfeev and Ovchinnikov, along with Viatcheslav Malafeev who is recovering from a fractured wrist, should be on the plane to Portugal this summer.
http://www.euro2004.com/News/Kind=1/newsId=172709.html

post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2004, 19:28
Rising Star

i agree with Yartsev on the goalkeepers. hard to believe, but Ochinnikov isn't as good as he was 2-3 years ago. i hope Akinfeev does well!
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2004, 23:20
Premier Player

Quote:
i agree with Yartsev on the goalkeepers. hard to believe, but Ochinnikov isn't as good as he was 2-3 years ago. i hope Akinfeev does well!
About Ovchinnikov totall yagree, as for Akinfeev, he had a bad break in his playing, hope it will not react on him.

And too many midfielders
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2004, 00:11
Rising Star

i wouldnt be surprised if Akinfeev achieves a shout out against norway at all.

his suspension is over rite? will he play against Rotor?
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2004, 19:55
Rising Star

2 - 0 now after the 1st half!
Martin Andresen and Sigurd Rushfelt are the goalscorers.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2004, 21:50
Rising Star

damn, im dissapointed.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2004, 22:01
Rising Star

Me too. p Those two goals in the last 5 minutes from Russia was totally unnecessary. We were sleeping in the defence and thought we could do anything without letting in something. Great goal by Jan Gunnar Solli to make it 3 - 0 though.
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2004, 22:23
Rising Star

well at least we fought hard and Kirichenko scored.
post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2004, 23:38
Rising Star

Teams: Brann, Lazio, Benfica.
Not many people caring. I always support Norway's oppositions as long as I will never like our NT. I watched first half, and Russia were not at all bad. They could have made 2-0. That would have made it another game. People say that it was 2 weak defences and I sort of agree. Great offensive play by both teams the first half, but after Norway somehow got 3-0 Russia lost their motivation for the game. If Russia can have a better defence versus the teams in Euro cup, they can be dangerous. Sychev proved once more that he is a great player. The 2 last goals I didn't watch, but I am thankful that they came. It makes every sports journalist here start with: Norway started excellently and played well, BUT Norway slept incredibly much at the end of the game. As it was 2-3 I hoped for 3-3. I hope and believe that Russia have more to offer in the EC tournament and no matter what. They are one of the best teams I have seen on Ullevaal when it comes to offensive play. Really good.
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2004, 00:14
Rising Star

thanks for the support bro.
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2004, 04:02
Rising Star

Norway 3-2 Russia
Despite scoring twice in the dying minutes to salvage some respectability, Russia's UEFA EURO 2004™ preparations suffered a setback against Norway at Oslo's Ullevål stadium.

Three-goal lead
Martin Andresen and Sigurd Rushfeldt scored before half-time, and substitute Jan Gunnar Solli added a third after the break for Åge Hareide's impressive side. Vladislav Radimov and Dmitri Kirichenko scored in the belated fightback, but it was not enough for the visitors.

Strong side
Russia coach Georgi Yartsev entered the game looking to field as strong a side as possible, with only the veteran midfield pair of Dmitri Alenichev and Aleksandr Mostovoi missing. The skilful attacking quartet of Dmitri Sytchev, Dmitri Loskov, Dmitri Bulykin and Marat Izmailov seemed to offer real threat, but it was the hosts who dominated the first half.

Solskjær returns
Ole Gunnar Solskjær was back for Norway after recovering from a serious knee injury and the Manchester United FC forward was impressive as his side poweered into a two-goal lead before the break in an open, high-tempo match.

Captain's contribution
Andresen had already gone close with a fine free-kick before he gave his side a 25th-minute lead. John Arne Riise picked the ball up from Solskjær on the left and saw his captain in space on the edge of the box. Morten Gamst Pedersen dummied Riise's pass, buying Andresen even more time to drill a ferocious shot past debutant goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev.

Evseev miss
Sytchev twice went close for the visitors with low shots, and Bulykin missed a good headed chance before full-back Vadim Evseev shot wide on the turn after a Gusev corner. Yet Norway went straight up to the other end with a fast-paced counterattack and, with only two minutes to go before the break, scored a second. With the Russian defence in disarray, Thorstein Helstad crossed and picked out the unmarked Rushfeldt, who nodded in off the far post.

Solli strike
After the break, Pedersen missed a fantastic chance to score when unmarked at the far post, but Norway eventually did find a third after 62 minutes. Substitute Solli cut in on his left foot - after Riise then Pedersen had squared across the edge of the Russian box - before curling a shot just inside the far post.

Late fightback
With both sides making a large number of substitutions, the game became disjointed in the closing stages. However, Russia did manage a late fightback when, with five minutes to go, Norway failed to clear their lines from a corner and substitute Radimov drove in with the aid of a deflection. Dmitri Kirichenko then scored another consolation with a low strike in added time.
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2004, 12:31
Rookie

Brbtv,
yeah, if only we could have any decent defence at all! Our NT was not good at all aspects (attack, midfield) there in Oslo, but defence... total CRAP.:depress:

And Ary,
thanx for sending me the pleasant invitation that lead me here. Though my 1st post isn't very optimistic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in