Russia - Wales - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2003, 11:45 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: Slovenia, Brazil, Russia, Korea, Vasco da Gama
Russia - Wales

Certainly not a mission impossible. I think Russia will qualify after all troubles in these qualifiers.

Caipirinha: 6 €
Brazilian NT shirt: 70 €
Flight to Rio de Janeiro: 400 €
Seeing Italian NT kicked out of major tournament: PRICELESS

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
All NBA and NHL except Red Wings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2003, 13:10
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Udinese,Lokomotiv Moscow,Russia NT
Italy has lost one game with Wales...but i think that if Russia play with the heart can beat Wales

go Sytchev go Titov go Bulykin....

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2003, 16:15
Legend

I give the edge to Wales

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old October 14th, 2003, 09:32 Thread Starter
Legend

I think you are wrong, Andrija. Wales performances have been quite average lately, while Russia played very well. I think Russia will go through.

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2003, 13:45
Xtratime Legend

Russia coach Georgi Yartsev has included just one surprise in his squad for the first leg of the UEFA EURO 2004™ play-off against Wales.

Here the squad:
Ovchinnikov, Malafeev, Akinfeev, Evseev, Nizhegorodov, Ignashevich, Sennikov, Onopko, Solomatin, Gusev, Izmailov, Loskov, Radimov, Mostovoi, Aldonin, Titov, Smertin, Kariaka, Esipov, Alenichev, Kerzhakov, Bulykin, Sytchev.

...the surprise is Igor Akinfeev the keeper of CSKA Moskva

...so now Nigmatullin is out of the NT

Last edited by Arianna; November 7th, 2003 at 07:31.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2003, 15:57
Star Player

Teams: Red Star Belgrade, Serbia
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrija PFC
I give the edge to Wales
HAHAHAHA!, this one has me rolling on the floor. Wales beat Russia? Maybe, but i doubt it. Karpin etc have better technical ability and i think russia will be far too strong for wales.

"I am free of all predjudices. I hate everyone equally."

"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!"
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2003, 07:32
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Borba
Karpin etc have better technical ability and i think russia will be far too strong for wales.
Karpin don't play for Russia anymore

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2003, 14:47
Xtratime Legend

Tuesday, 11 November 2003 Print

Russia could be without defender Vadim Evseev for the first leg of their UEFA EURO 2004™ play-off against Wales. The right-back has been released from Georgi Yartsev's squad in order to travel to Munich, where his daughter is to have heart surgery. The FC Lokomotiv Moskva player is now a major doubt for Saturday's game at his club's home stadium.

There was better news for the Russians, though, when midfield player Yegor Titov came through a training session unscathed. Yartsev said of the FC Spartak Moskva captain: "Titov is likely to play." However, the fitness of another midfield player, Aleksei Smertin, remains a question mark.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old November 14th, 2003, 15:56
Xtratime Legend

Kerzhakov ripe for Welsh task

When Russia exited the 2002 FIFA World Cup after a 3-2 defeat by Belgium, striker Aleksandr Kerzhakov and his young team-mate Dmitri Sytchev were pictured teary-eyed in Russian sports daily Sport Express. The headline read: "There is hope while the boys cry." Defeat hurt the youngest players the most; since then they have led the fightback.

Blooming talent
Russia may have crashed and burned under Oleg Romantsev in Korea/Japan, but as the newspaper predicted, the young elements in the Russian squad have continued to develop. Now only a two-legged play-off against Wales stands between Georgi Yartsev's Russia and a place at UEFA EURO 2004™.

New hope
Kerzhakov has epitomised that progress. With 15 caps and three goals for his country, the 20-year-old has matured into a man in the last year, helping unfancied FC Zenit St. Peterburg to finish second in the Russian Premier League in the 2003 season. He now looks a certain starter, alongside Dmitri Bulykin, in the first leg of the play-off on Saturday.

Strong opponents
It is a hugely important game for Russia, and as Kerzhakov told uefa.com, his side are not underestimating Wales. "It is stupid to talk about any lack of strength in a team which beat Italy and should have finished first in their group," he said. "I think Russia are stronger than Wales, but there is no point talking about it - we need to show it on the pitch. From what I've seen on TV, the Welsh are very quick and they can be a headache."

Giggs danger
The striker cited winger Ryan Giggs as the greatest Welsh threat. "For me, Wales as a country is synonymous with the Manchester United [FC] player," he said. "Sometimes he's unbelievable. Look at his last game - he scored twice against Liverpool [FC]."

Mental attitude
Against such quality opposition, Kerzhakov is convinced that concentration is paramount, and with a difficult season behind them, he maintained that his team-mates do not lack the right temperament. "The responsibility spurs you on rather than bothering you," he said. "The most important thing is to be believed in. We've given people hope - it means we can fulfil our task."

New coach
Russia will play the first leg of the tie in Moscow at the Lokomotiv stadium, having returned to winning ways under Yartsev after defeats against Georgia, Albania and Israel cost Gazzaev his job. As recent results have proved, the change of coach has not upset the players too much.

Yartsev commands
"Changing a coach is a normal thing in football," said Kerzhakov. "Last season at Zenit we had three coaching changes and we got used to it. First, you're trying to find out who the new coach is, what it's like working with him. Then comes the first training session and it all settles. I was not nervous when Yartsev was appointed and the results tell you everything about him."

Portugal focus
While Kerzhakov has not been a prolific scorer for Russia, Yartsev has kept faith in him for his other qualities on the pitch. The striker himself has been unconcerned by his form in front of goal. "I don't see anything dramatic about myself not scoring for the national team," he said. "It is more important that we win. I would trade all my possible goals for a place in Portugal."

Birthday gift
Kerzhakov turns 21 on 27 November. Should he manage to help Russia to book that trip to the finals, it could be a party to remember.

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2003, 11:49
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Theoretically it should be classical David vs Goliath game and Russia with its huge abundance of talent should eat teams like Wales for breakfast.But fact is that there's something very wrong with Russian NT in past years.In last World Cup they played arhaic and unefficient football.It seems that tactically Russia is about 20 years behind of the rest of Europe.Tough fitness training is still hold at high esteem in Russian coaching methods as tactical side of the game is somehow redüced at the background.And of course organisatory side of the game, the general football system what is supposed to take care of distributing money for building and maintenancing stadiums and to youth football, clearly lacks quality.It's the usual carelessness and incompetence common to any activity in Russia what is also behind of the current crisis of Russian football.This country has the talent and potential to be among the absolute best in international football but they don't know how to use it.

But they will still beat Wales.

Last edited by Andy Christ; November 15th, 2003 at 12:10.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2003, 12:08
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Quote:
Originally posted by Arianna
Karpin don't play for Russia anymore
Really? Too bad, i would have liked to see him play in Portugal.He is actually born in Estonia and his parents still live here.Karpin even got himself Estonian passport recently.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2003, 14:54 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Christ
Theoretically it should be classical David vs Goliath game and Russia with its huge abundance of talent should eat teams like Wales for breakfast.But fact is that there's something very wrong with Russian NT in past years.In last World Cup they played arhaic and unefficient football.It seems that tactically Russia is about 20 years behind of the rest of Europe.Tough fitness training is still hold at high esteem in Russian coaching methods as tactical side of the game is somehow redüced at the background.And of course organisatory side of the game, the general football system what is supposed to take care of distributing money for building and maintenancing stadiums and to youth football, clearly lacks quality.It's the usual carelessness and incompetence common to any activity in Russia what is also behind of the current crisis of Russian football.This country has the talent and potential to be among the absolute best in international football but they don't know how to use it.

But they will still beat Wales.
I totally agree with what you said here. Russia's potential is huge, but they didn't exploit it so far.

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2003, 18:12
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Christ
Really? Too bad, i would have liked to see him play in Portugal.He is actually born in Estonia and his parents still live here.Karpin even got himself Estonian passport recently.
i know he's born in Tallin
the new Russia coach asking him to return to the squad, but Karpin decided against it.
he sayd: "I've said once that I no longer will play for the national team," said the Estonian-born winger, who first announced his retirement in March. "I'm too old to play for Russia. We had a friendly talk and Yartsev said he would like to see me in the team again, but I politely declined the invitation."

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2003, 18:16
Xtratime Legend

Russia-Wales 0-0

to bad this result

It really is all to play for on Wednesday in Cardiff. Russia were on top for long periods tonight, but Wales clearly came to deny their opponents the room they had found in their home Group 10 encounters, and their hard work earned its reward.

and Mostovoi got a yellow card...so ca'nt play in Wales:fero:

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old November 17th, 2003, 16:42
Xtratime Legend

bad news:

we're without Mostovoi and the keeper Ovchinnikov

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2003, 21:49
Legend

Teams: Aalesunds FK & Crystal Palace
Russia won 1-0, and you have qualified for Euro 2004 in Portugal. Congratulations.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2003, 23:16
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: West Brom and Arsenal. Dallas Cowboys.
Yes indeed, congratulations for a gritty display.

You are there in Portugal next year

Fantasy Football? try www.freekick.org

Freddie Mia

Thomas Fortune Odemwingie
Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
Ridgewell Olson McAuley Reid
----------Foster
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2003, 15:03
Xtratime Legend

i'm so happy today
We're in Portugalllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2003, 15:06
International

Arianna, are u Danish or Italian or Russian????
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2003, 15:10
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by milano77
Arianna, are u Danish or Italian or Russian????
i'm Italian....but russian inside ! lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in