*Official* Derby County - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1829 (permalink) Old August 24th, 2002, 20:40 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Derby County

Any Derby County fans in here? Well if there are any come here and lets post about this season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1829 (permalink) Old August 24th, 2002, 22:30
Star Player

I'm not a Derby fan but they got well beaten 4-1 by Wolves today.
I think they can make the play-offs, but I don't think their form will be quite good enough to get back in the prem automatically, in the top 2 positions at the end of the season.
post #3 of 1829 (permalink) Old August 25th, 2002, 15:51 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

They got there a** kicked yesterday. Though most of our starting players did not play yesterday and we had a very weak midfield for yesterday. The players we didn't use were Poom (injured), Riggott (injured), Morris (?) and Ravanelli. Ravanelli and Morris should of played the game, there was no reason to keep them on the bench. Lee Morris came in on the 45th minute and he did nothing! Lee Morris is not having a good season this year while last year he was one of our good players at the end of the year. I think they will make it in the top 6, but to be honest promotion is not going to be very easy and i wouldn't be suprised if we don't get promoted this year. Our next match is against Rotherham Utd. At Rotherham and this game will be tough for us. We have to get at least 6 points in our next 3 games (2 of them at Pride Park) I say the next game will be a 2-1 for the RAMS!
COME ON YOU RAMS!!!

post #4 of 1829 (permalink) Old August 25th, 2002, 20:48
Premier Player

i predict bankruptcy
post #5 of 1829 (permalink) Old August 26th, 2002, 01:52 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Yes we are in a bad money situation. Thats why the chairman says it impossible to keep both Malcom Christie and Ravanelli, we are gonna have to seel one of them (i say sell Ravanelli). They may also sell a few other players like Poom, Riggott and Morris. Although we may lose our good players, i still think we have good enough reserve team so we can fill the empty spaces.
COME ON YOU RAMS!!!
post #6 of 1829 (permalink) Old August 26th, 2002, 14:45 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Paul Boertien and Lee Morris return to John Gregory’s starting line-up for the trip to Rotherham.

The two left-sided players replace Gary Twigg and Adam Murray from the side that lost at home to Wolves with Twigg and Murray dropping to the bench. Morris started from the bench against Wolves after suffering with flu.

Paul Boertien is expected to start in the centre of midfield with Adam Bolder moving out to the right. Mart Poom, Fabrizio Ravanelli, and Chris Riggott are all still sidelined with injury for the Rams.

Derby County
Andy Oakes
Warren Barton
Ian Evatt
Danny Higginbotham
Francois Grenet
Adam Bolder
Rob Lee
Paul Boertien
Lee Morris
Malcolm Christie
Branko Strupar

Subs:-
Adam Murray
Lee Grant
Gary Twigg
Richard Jackson
Marcus Tudgay

Todays line-up for the game against Rotherham United is very different than the usual line-up. Andy Oakes is playing his second straight game. Crish Riggott who was supposed to come off his injury Saturday is still not in the line-up. (he is rumored to go to Liverpool) I think todays game will be very difficult for us with this line-up. My prediction for the finals score will be 1-1 with Malcom Christie scoring for Derby County.
COME ON YOU RAMS!!!!
post #7 of 1829 (permalink) Old August 26th, 2002, 18:32 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Well we played like crap today. None of our players did good and once again Lee Morris never got the ball! I think we should use Lee Morris as an attacking midfielder not a defensive one! We lost today 2-1 and we were outplayed in every offensive category and even in corners were it was 14-2! for Rotherham . Our only goal came from Branko Strupar which was his first goal of the season. The goal came on a free kick which he defleted in with his head, but Alan Lee quickly scored 2 goals for Rotherham United. This loss puts Derby County in 12th place in Division 1 with 6 points and with todays win Rotherham United is 2nd in Div.1 with 11 points. Derby County's next game is against Stoke City at Pride Park. This is a game we have to win! We must win on Saturday and if we don't the season is over.
COME ON YOU RAMS!!!!
post #8 of 1829 (permalink) Old August 26th, 2002, 23:16
World Class Player

Teams: Manchester United
I predict Derby will win 1-0.

England the home of football.
MUFC-The Religion.

Quote:
Fish are caught by there mouths, men by there word
post #9 of 1829 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 02:50 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

FT:ROTHERHAM V DERBY COUNTY (Monday 26th August)

ROTHERHAM UNITED 2
Lee 64,81

DERBY COUNTY 1
Strupar 47

HT: 0-0

Attendance: 8,408

Paul Boertien and Lee Morris returned to John Gregory’s starting line-up for the trip to Rotherham. Gary Twigg and Adam Murray dropped out of the side that lost at home to Wolves with Twigg and Murray dropping to the bench.

Paul Boertien started in the centre of midfield with Adam Bolder moving out to the right. Mart Poom, Fabrizio Ravanelli, and Chris Riggott were all still sidelined with injury for the Rams.

Darren Byfield immediately gave notice of his speed by bursting on to a throughball but Andy Oakes was out quickly out to gather. Francois Grenet then headed behind to concede a corner with three minutes on the clock. Darren Garner whipped-in the dead-ball and Oakes had to turn the ball over for another corner after Rob Lee’s flick headed goalward.

The Rams responded with their first attack in the fifth minute. Branko Strupar held the ball up well after Barton crossed from the right. The Belgium international teed-up Malcolm Christie with a great chance on the edge of the Rotherham box but the 23 year-old striker blazed over.

Christie did not let the miss bother him and he again linked up with Strupar to get a shot on target with ten minutes on the clock but it was comfortable for Mike Pollitt. The former Nuneaton Borough striker was finding room around the Rotherham United backline in the early stages.

At the other end, Darren Byfield was determined to remind John Gregory of the promise he showed at Villa Park. Another long ball saw Ian Evatt and Oakes indulging in a bout of ‘after you Claude’ but Oakes slid in to stop Byfield at the expense of a corner.

The game was quite open in the first quarter with Rotherham showing the confidence hewn from a four-game unbeaten run and the Rams finding space with some quality passing but Rotherham began to dominate as the game went on.

Alan Lee has already netted twice for the Millers this term and he was beginning to give Evatt a hard time; first winning a throw-in in dangerous territory before heading into the box for the return. The former Ireland under-21 international went down under a challenge from Oakes and appealed loudly for a penalty but to no avail. The big striker then won a free-kick from Evatt as the home crowd got involved in the action.

As the midpoint of the first-half approached the Rams were hanging in there as the Millers won a pair of corners the second of which fell to John Mullin. The former Burnley man whipped in a cross-shot that just slid over the bar and then Higginbotham blocked out another effort from the former the midfield runner.

As John Gregory anxiously looked on at the increasing workload at the back, Adam Bolder broke away on the right. Last week’s matchwinner fed Christie whose cross for Strupar was well taken by Pollitt in the Rotherham goal. Bolder made another fine run as the game reached the 27th minute but he couldn’t find Strupar in the box – at least the Rams were playing in the Rotherham half again.

Last season’s player of the year Danny Higginbotham was beginning to impose himself on Lee and Byfield as the game wore on and he stepped in well to dispossess Byfield as the Rotherham striker threatened.

Byfield was still proving elusive in wider positions and having skipped past Evatt the pacy frontman was brought down by Grenet who became the first booking of the game as he cut across his forward run. Warren Barton did well to clear from the resulting free-kick.

The Rams began to settle into a better pattern as half-time approached, Christie was treated for a knock which gave John Gregory’s team a chance for a bottle of water and time to reflect. After a rocky period Derby were beginning to assert themselves defensively. Although the game was becalmed as a result that was probably an outcome that the Rams were happy with at the time.

Lee Morris then showed a clean pair of heels to the Rotherham backline as the Rams looked to break the deadlock. Morris sped forward but frustratingly Christie had strayed offside in a good position. John Gregory will be looking for his side to play more attacking football in the second period.

Oakes was forced to tip over from Mullin as the game entered three minutes of stoppage time. It was the Miller’s ninth corner of the afternoon but Oakes claimed the cross comfortably and cleared.

The teams left the field level but the game was well poised as a contest although the corner count favoured the home side. On a tight pitch there had not been much room for the beautiful game so far and the travelling support were hoping to see more football from the Rams in the second period.

The second-half began with Lee Morris being tripped by Rob Scott who was booked. Even the most optimistic Ram would not have expected to get a goal so quickly into the second period but there it was as Branko Strupar got due reward for his hard work.

Rob Lee floated in the free-kick from the left in a training ground move that worked to perfection. The cross was flicked on by Christie at the front of the crowd towards Strupar who left Mike Pollitt’s rooted to the spot with his perfectly placed header and wheeled away to celebrate in front of the travelling support.

Rotherham skipper Martyn McIntosh almost levelled five minutes later but after Oakes blocked the first effort from the Scottish defender and Chris Sedgwick could only lift the ball over the bar.

The Millers showed why they were unbeaten for four games as they responded with some enthusiastic surges forward but the Rams were now playing on the break as the game entered another crucial period. Ronnie Moore’s men were still winning corners and throw-ins and playing the percentages but the Rams were 100 percent in front.

A lung-bursting break by Lee ended with Strupar’s cross falling to safety and then at the other end a Sedgwick run earnt the Millers corner number 14 but Mullin was stopped in his tracks and Andy Oakes had a goalkick. Darren Byfield found the side-netting to remind the Rams there was life left in this game as Ronnie Moore warmed-up his subs.

Fine interplay between Bolder and Barton almost got Derby’s second but the Rams then conceded at the other end in the 64th minute. The Rams could have cleared early on in the move but Mullin cut in from the left and hit a fine hard, low shot that Oakes did well to save but the ball dropped to Alan Lee who hammered the ball high into the Derby goal for his third of the season.

The Rams would have to regain their composure quickly as the home fans celebrated. Ronnie Moore instructed his subs to retake their position on the bench as he weighed up his options in the final quarter of the game.

Sedgwick again powered down the right towards the by-line as Ian Evatt went down injured, the ball came back to Byfield who hit a bicycle-kick that Oakes did well to save for another corner for the home side.

In the 73rd minute Bolder lifted Derby hopes with a fine shot but the whistle had already blown. Strupar and Christie combined to find Morris at the far-post but the angle was too tight for the winger. Byfield then sprinted clear but Higginbotham was on hand again to concede the corner.

Neat play between Morris and Boertien on the left earnt the Rams a corner that Scott could only clear for a throw-in under pressure from Strupar. Byfield – a recent flu victim – was replaced by Richie Barker with 12 minutes to go and then Adam Murray came on for Rob Lee.

With nine minutes to go it was Rob’s namesake who sunk the Rams. A free-kick on the right was shielded by McIntosh towards Alan Lee who turned and hit a powerful shot into the top corner from only eight yards out. Andy Oakes got a fingertip to the ball but had no chance of stopping the Irishman getting his second of the game and his fourth of the season.

Malcolm Christie then broke through at the other end but Pollitt came out and stopped the danger as the Rams tried to get back into a game that they had led. Strupar released Bolder on the right but the midfielder’s cut-back was claimed by Pollitt much to the relief of the home support.

Gary Twigg came on for Francois Grenet as the game entered the final four minutes but Rotherham could have scored again before the 18 year-old won a corner. Higginbotham could not get his header on target and when Bolder was flagged off-side the game looked up for the Rams.

With the home fans whistling wildly Christie ran on to Strupar’s flick but he couldn’t get the purchase on his shot that he needed and Pollitt held on gratefully as referee Cain delivered the final whistle.

This was a third disappointment in five for the Rams as Rotherham followed the example of Gillingham and Wolves by taking all three points from John Gregory’s side to hit the promotion places. Having seemingly weathered the storm in the first-half John Gregory’s side grabbed the lead and had every chance to go on and take the game but Alan Lee had other ideas with two goals to turn the game on its head.

Stoke City visit Pride Park on Saturday with Derby’s need for a victory paramount after two defeats within 48 hours.

Referee: G Cain

Attendance: 8,408

Teams:

Rotherham: Pollitt; Sedgwick; Mullin; McIntosh; Lee; Garner; Byfield – (Barker 76); Hurst; Warne; Swailes; Scott;

Subs: Barker; Monkhouse; Gray; Daws; Beech

Derby County: Oakes – Barton (Captain); Grenet – (Twigg 86); Evatt; Higginbotham; Bolder; Boertien; Lee – (Murray 78); Strupar; Christie; Morris.

Subs: Grant; Tudgay; Murray; Twigg; Jackson

Booked: Grenet; Scott

Another bad loss for Derby County
. We were outplayed the whole game and we never had a chance! 6 points in 5 games is dissapointing! We have to start playing with heart, I think a few of these "premier league" players are not playing as good as they can play. now im starting to think that selling Malcom Christie is a good thing. On Saturday we are playing Stoke city at Pride Park. Hopefully we get the 3 points we need!
post #10 of 1829 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 14:38 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Should we sell Malcom Christie?? Lately Malcom Christie has not been doing a good job. His only good game was the season-opener against Reading where he scored 1 goal and had many other scoring chances. Before the season started Tottenham was interested in Christie offering him 8 million pounds. Since he isn't playing too well and we have to give up either him or Ravanelli, the question is should we sell him? My opinion is we should sell Christie and have the two starting strikers Strupar and Ravanelli.
post #11 of 1829 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 16:08
Ace
Premier Player

If I was John Gregory I'd probably sell Malcolm Christie if I had to sell one striker, as you'd get more money for him than you would for Ravanelli, as hes only young. In this mornings papers Boro were linked with a 5m swoop for Christie but Stevie Mac was quick off the mark to rubbish the rumour.

Derby County are having a very disappoiting season so far, some of Derbys players just dont look like they can be arsed for the toughness of the First Division, and dont look like their hearts are with the club, I know its only early on, but to be honest, I'd be surprised if Derby got into the play offs this season, maybes next season they will go back up, as I class them as a Premiership Team for some reason..
post #12 of 1829 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 16:11
Ace
Premier Player

Also, my prediction for the Stoke City game is 2-1 to Stoke, Derby will go ahead thru Branko Strupar, Ravanelli or Malcolm Christie, but will lose concentration in the second half and Stoke will clinch a goal early on, and then score once again in the dying moments, maybe 86 minutes or something..
post #13 of 1829 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 17:14 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Well Christie is also linked with Tottenham for 8m pounds i think. Also there is some good news for Derby County, Chris Riggott and Mart Poom have began training and will be expected to play Saturday against Stoke. Mart Poom was injured when he played for the Estonian NT and Riggott injured his ankle in the 3-0 over Reading 3 weeks ago. With Riggott playing the 4 defenders will probally be Riggott-Higgy-Boertien-Barton (i hope Gregory doesn't start Grenet anymore! . My prediction for the final score is 1-1 with a goal coming from Ravanelli. Even though Derby needs the 3 points i still think it will be a very tough game for us. I would like Gregory to put the same line-up as he did for the Reading game which is:
----Poom-----
Riggott---Higginbotham---Barton---Boertein

Murray----Bolder----Lee---Morris

Christie-------Ravanelli

And the subs would be Oakes, Twigg, Strupar, Grenet, Evatt (Richard Jackson is still not ready for the 1st team but John Gregory likes him so much he puts him on the team!)
post #14 of 1829 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2002, 16:15 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

More good news for Derby county. Former Celtic and Wolfsburg defender Brian O'Niell is coming back from his injury today and he is in the starting line-up for the Derby County vs. Leicester reserve game. He should be available for Staurdays game against Stoke, but i don't think John Gregory will start him. I would pick Paul Boertein instead of Brian O'Niell in the starting line-up. With Brian O'Niell back i think selling Chris Riggott will be a good idea.
post #15 of 1829 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2002, 21:06
Ace
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by DerbyCounty
More good news for Derby county. Former Celtic and Wolfsburg defender Brian O'Niell is coming back from his injury today and he is in the starting line-up for the Derby County vs. Leicester reserve game. He should be available for Staurdays game against Stoke, but i don't think John Gregory will start him. I would pick Paul Boertein instead of Brian O'Niell in the starting line-up. With Brian O'Niell back i think selling Chris Riggott will be a good idea.
Yeah, you'll get a few million for Riggott, and you aswell sell him now if you've got people who can fill his shoes..
post #16 of 1829 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2002, 21:13 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

The only team that i heard that was interested in Riggott is Liverppol. I'm not sure about how much he is worth. I'm thinking maybe 2m pounds maybe even more. Riggott is the only player on the team that would give 100% for Division 1. I feel all the other players on this team don't show heart or play to there full potential.
post #17 of 1829 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2002, 22:07 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I know many of you don't know about these two players, but if you were John Gregory who would you start, Brian O'Niell or Paul Boertein? Brian O'Niell scored a goal in todays reserve game against Leicester. My choice would be Boertein with O'Niell as one of our subs and then we can keep Richard Jackson on the reserve team to develop into a good defender. But for some reason i still think John Gregory is gonna do something STUPID! and start Grenet. I hate that guy!! We really need to win the game on Saturday and with Grenet we can never do that!
post #18 of 1829 (permalink) Old August 29th, 2002, 18:07 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Defender Francois Grenet has returned to France to join First Division club Rennes.

The move is initially a temporary transfer until the end of the season but it will become permanent when the player has been involved in 20 matches - including as an unused substitute - or by January 31 2003.

Rennes will pay a fee of 1.5 million Euro (approximately £1-million) when the deal becomes permanent and other payments will be due if Rennes win the French championship or become involved in the UEFA Cup competition.

Grenet, 27, was signed by former manager Colin Todd in November and has made 16 senior appearances.

I think this is a good move for Derby County. We have too many defenders and we need to sell a few more. We still are going to sell Horacio Carbonari and Otto Bragstad. With Chris Riggott and Brian O'Niell coming back from injury, we definetly need to sell Bragstad and Carbonari. I hated Grenet so i really like this move. Colin Todd is the manager who bought so many defenders and caused us to be in debt.
post #19 of 1829 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2002, 15:24 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I heard that Derby county got Nikky Butt Is this true or just a lie? It's not on the website but its in the Derby Evening Telegraph. I hope its not true because we don't need him, we got plenty of defenders.
post #20 of 1829 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2002, 16:32 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Looks like Malcom Christie and Mart Poom are going no where . Mart Poom is not going to be signed by Manchester United, and since tottenham got Keane it doesn't look like Malcom Christie will go there. We have to sell a few players. I will not be happy if we don't sell at least 2 players. The good news is that Danny Higginbotham and Chris Riggott (both defenders) will be going nowhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in