GSE - Taking us forwards or taking us backwards?? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2012, 19:50 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
GSE - Taking us forwards or taking us backwards??

Since last season finished, I and along with other fans were (slightly!!) optimistic that this coming season, with the introduction of a few new faces , would be promising that in previous seasons

However, recently my optimism has turned into somewhat disappointment and slight nervousness towards the up-coming. I know this has usually been the case, but I just feel the decision to get rid of Jason Shackell, is quite frankly disgraceful and completely un-justified. First of all, to tell him to another championship club is crazy, but to justify £1.1 million is just awful. The idea to 'build' the rest of the squad with a moderately small sum isn't going to be easy at all, and to bring any quality player to help develop the squad is beyond impossible.

With still nobody into replace Shackell, worries me as we are presented with Mark O'Brien and Jake Buxton being our starting centre-half partnership doesn't ring alarm bells, but certainly doesn't give me confidence of finishing in the top-half never-mind the play-offs.

But moving on to GSE, since they have been here...when I actually think about it, what have they done to improve the 'team' rather than corporate, academy, and other projects they have embarked on. This season, they have spent money on putting in a big screen into Pride Park to replace the old score board. My argument being is this really necessary and is this really going to help the 'team' or rather help Derby to become a more attractive business proposition.

Since GSE's arrival, we have finished 18th, 14th, 19th and 12th respectively, which doesn't really show any signs of progress or ambition from them in trying to get us out the the championship.

At the moment, I find myself being very annoyed and angry that again they are trying to operate on a cheap budget and trying too hard to over-rely on our academy to make progress. I know many Derby fans share this same view of lack of investment, and it's already been reported that many fans are asking for season-ticket refunds due to the lack of ambition from this board, and in small-part to Nigel Clough's naivety in the transfer market

At the moment, I can only see another season of mid-table bore fest ..which for the main is starting to get slightly frustrating

Is really hoping one day we will create footballer's who are actually creative rather than have 'great' engines...is that hard to ask
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old July 12th, 2012, 22:29
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
I think its hard to expect many clubs in this division to spend a lot of money. But the club has barely spent 5 million pounds in the last 3 seasons and if you want to believe transfermarkt, our squad is the 3rd least expensive in the league

I know Clough says he wants to sign experienced Football League players to the club but I feel we neglect the foreign market. Foreign signings can be hit or miss, but we shouldn't completely neglect it
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2012, 23:33
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
think clough thinks foreign means scottish lol

clough has done quite well with his signings, and if we can land keogh from coventry thats another good one, trouble is rather than building from last year, we are again repleceing our better players who have moved on for next to nothing. operating like that we're going nowhere fast.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in