Season 2007/2008 - A reflection on the season!! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2008, 17:42 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
Season 2007/2008 - A reflection on the season!!

Now usually I wouldnt do a waffle on, trying to be philopsher on life type of point here, but just point out how I feel the only way of expressin this, is just to write how I feel on the season has gone

To be honest, the season started as soon as the final whistle went at Wembley, with Billy Davies constantly ignoring questions when asking about his future, which people could argue spoiled such a successful day in the club's recent history. Also coupled with his willingness to constantly say how the club wasnt ready for the big step up from the Championship between the Premiership, almost waving the white flag before the season hadnt started, which in heindsight probably turned out to be write, but it is something that should not be stated publicy or to the players, because it make the players doubt about themselves, as well as telling the fans that we are going to be in for a long season.

In pre-season, it always baffled me about how slow and far behind we were in terms of preparation. Now obviously I understand we came via the playoffs, but work for recruiting players etc etc should have started as soon as the final whistle after Wembley, and not after a 2 or 3 week period where most other clubs were doing there wealing and dealing, and to be honest the players that were bought into the club were clearly buy any Derby fan, or for that even any football, not good enough to compete or play in the Premiership.

I mean lets take one example, lets take Rob Earnshaw, now don't get me wrong, this guy an score goals but in the CHAMPIONSHIP, not the premership his record at WBA was hardly anything to shout about, and spend a club record fee of £3.5 million still beggars belief if we are honest. I know people will argue that he wasnt given enough chances to perform or what have you, but you must question his attitude on the training ground. Perhaps as have other people suggested, he believed he is better than what he is, and didnt put in 100% on the training ground, which obviosuly must take into account when he is picking his team.

Another player who seriously got me slightly worried when he signed was the signing of Eddie Lewis, now I know this was slighty after the start of the season, but I mean come on now, lets get serious, he was an average CHAMPIONSHIP winger in the past, who always seem to perform against Derby, however my point is why sign him. The guy is clearly no way Premiership quality, and to be honest I would have not even the spent the money on anybody and saved it, because im sorry Lewis is at best average and in now is his time to move on!!!

I'm getting frustrated writing about it, im gonna write more gradually though, get my voice herd as it were!!!

Is really hoping one day we will create footballer's who are actually creative rather than have 'great' engines...is that hard to ask
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 00:37
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
horrible season which was negative all the way. From the start all Davies was saying is how early we came up and how this wasn't part of the "3 year plan"

None of our big money signings made an impact and for some reason none of them played. We didn't use many youth players towards the end of the season which I would have liked to see. I know there were some who played, but once the club was relegated they really should have used them more.

The better matches of the season were the opening day draw at home to Pompey. Also, we actually played well at home against the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester United, in two of the games we were very unlucky not the take points. Then of course there were the embarassments to Arsenal and Liverpool, but inexcuseable ones like the Villa loss at home and West Ham loss which cost Davies his job.

The club made some decent signings in the winter, but most got injured

I can't see this team coming straight up, this mentality will stay with them. Though, if the club spends a lot of money, possibly they can be better than the pack down there
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 03:44
Rising Star

Teams: Valencia, Juventus(lazy going Juve forum though)
How many $$$ have Derby invest for 07-08 season? If little than I already know why Derby struggling very badly this season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by suazo19
16) Who do you dislike the most at The Valencia Forum - Suazo19,Joshua,Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friki
watching = moaning bastard

Kelantan, Kedah, Penang, Perak, Selangor... lol...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 10:58
World Class Player

Teams: AEK Athens & Dirty Leeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
horrible season which was negative all the way. From the start all Davies was saying is how early we came up and how this wasn't part of the "3 year plan"

None of our big money signings made an impact and for some reason none of them played. We didn't use many youth players towards the end of the season which I would have liked to see. I know there were some who played, but once the club was relegated they really should have used them more.

The better matches of the season were the opening day draw at home to Pompey. Also, we actually played well at home against the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester United, in two of the games we were very unlucky not the take points. Then of course there were the embarassments to Arsenal and Liverpool, but inexcuseable ones like the Villa loss at home and West Ham loss which cost Davies his job.

The club made some decent signings in the winter, but most got injured

I can't see this team coming straight up, this mentality will stay with them. Though, if the club spends a lot of money, possibly they can be better than the pack down there
I think this is the point :

Its not that your big money signings didnt perform. It was that you made no big money signings.

Was 3.5 million your biggest fee ?

Well compare this to say.. Sunderland's transfers.

You also signed Championship players, but not jsut championship players with a big future (I.E Kenwyn (?) Jones - Sunderland) you signed old players.

Once again, Thanks for signing Eddie Lews

05.04.00 - 05.04.09

9 years of hurt and pain.

An anniversary we never wanted, but one we'll never forget.

R.I.P boys.

"We're gunna stay with you forever"

NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2008, 12:25
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
hello, it's jimbo! my account is being stupid, and i can't be arsed with it anymore, so i'll borrow Neil's account to just quickly say.

This season was horrible, i absolutely hated it, and there's more chance of me being the next england manager than us getting promoted next season.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in