Paul Jewell v Billy Davies? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2008, 11:02 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
Paul Jewell v Billy Davies?

So what has Jewell done then since he has taken over? He has been given the transfer market and bothered to sign has beens and average players like Mills, Savage and Robert... while also losing many of Derby home games where there was a chance of potential wins that even Davies may have got (Blackburn not in great form, yesterday v Wigan).

Jewell has of course made the team a little harder to beat, but he has not done much with the team, not anymore than Davies for sure and yet Jewell is criticism free because he is some sort of God while Davies is a clown p

Sorry I was just a fan of Davies and sad he got so much stick. Let see if Jewell can do anything for the next part of the season even if its sure he will not keep you up.

XT Italian Prediction League Winner 2012
XT Serie A Fantasy League Honours
Xt Coppa Italia: 2009/10
XT Supercoppa Italiana: 2010, 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2008, 11:09
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Jewell over Davies by a long way for me. All the problems we have at the moment were created by Davies and will take more than a couple of months to turn around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2008, 14:47
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Hull City Tigers
Yeah, Jewell is a very good manager who's got a lot out of the teams he's managed on limited resources as a general rule.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2008, 15:35
International

Teams: Everton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo jones
Jewell over Davies by a long way for me. All the problems we have at the moment were created by Davies and will take more than a couple of months to turn around.
wouldn't say all the problems you have are caused by davies, its simply that for the amount of mony the team had to spend - promotion to the prem + survival is a step too far.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2008, 15:48
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
I think Davies did a great job getting Derby to the Premiership despite his "three year plan" stance but it was time for him to go, especially after that 5:0 loss to West Ham at home which was unacceptable

Jewell maybe hasn't got the results, but at least he is looking outside of the Scottish reserve leagues for signings and the team has been slightly better, just now instead of losing 6:0 we lose 1:0 in the 89th minute
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2008, 18:19
Premier Player

Teams: Roma; Napoli and southern Italian teams v north
Paul Jewell is a superior footballing mind, and certainly his eye for players is different mustard comparied to wee Billy.

The Immortal Kenny Miller ... come on. Had Jewell been given this job at the start of July, the quality in Derby would be astonishing in terms of footballers he'd have brought in.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2008, 19:00
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
To me it is a bit of a silly question because obviously people are going to say Paul Jewell because of the poor poor position we found ourselves in under Billy Davies

To me, I think Davies was very naive in the transfer market, and just thought the players we had at the club, would naturally make the step up to the Premier league, which as we all know is pretty much impossible. When he was given money he spent it very very poorly as well, is Claude Davis worth 3 million? is Earnshaw worth 3.5 mill? and is Eddie Lewis worth anything at all?, soooo from that point of view his dealings were abysmal. I think Jewell is doing the best he's got with a bad bunch, hes trying hard to rectify it though, with his own signings, but as we know from previous seasons and previous managers, this will clearly take a long time to settle down

I think during the off-season, a bit of optimism creeping back, because for a starter things cant get any worse, we have the players to make an impact, and hopefully some of the players will stick around, and help us get back into the Premier League at the first attempt

Is really hoping one day we will create footballer's who are actually creative rather than have 'great' engines...is that hard to ask
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2008, 10:09 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Indeed Davies can easily say he wants Jones for example (a very good signing), but the board didnt cough up the money for him. I think Davies if given a chance to buy some decent players would have done more with Derby... Jewell I suppose cant do mcuh more, although he is signing players I have always hated and over-rated ones in their time aswell. Would be better if Jewell tried to get some young blood in aswell for the CHampionship next year.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2008, 10:17
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Johnson
wouldn't say all the problems you have are caused by davies, its simply that for the amount of mony the team had to spend - promotion to the prem + survival is a step too far.
Doesn't help when you completely waste what money you do have, as I've said many times as well, we had more money to spend in the summer than we spent, Davies just couldn't get people to sign. His signings last January were dodgy as well,we we're flying at the top of the league, so he changed half the team around then we could barely get a win.

But the thing that I mostly didn't like was his tactics, of boot it up to Steve Howard as quick as possible, I can honestly say I don't think i've left a Derby game thinking...what great football that was today, since George Burley left. You can turn a blind eye to the football not being great if your winning, but it soon gets tiresome when your getting hammered every week as well.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2008, 10:19 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

All I know is... The Wolf should return

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2008, 10:19
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano
Indeed Davies can easily say he wants Jones for example (a very good signing), but the board didnt cough up the money for him. I think Davies if given a chance to buy some decent players would have done more with Derby... Jewell I suppose cant do mcuh more, although he is signing players I have always hated and over-rated ones in their time aswell. Would be better if Jewell tried to get some young blood in aswell for the CHampionship next year.
Really don't understand why you like Davies so much, but what ever floats your boat

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2008, 01:28
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I think he called in on Sportscene last night there was a guy who called in who was defending Billy Davies and was asking why everybody was against him
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2008, 22:39
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Jewell ends with zero wins, even in the cup, and he ends the season blasting the entire team.

I know it;s easy to say now, but was Roy Hodgson a possibility for Derby? He did a good job with Fulham and I remember the Rams being linked with him. We would still probably go down, but I'd feel we would put up better performances

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in