Paul Jewell - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 10:47 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Paul Jewell

It's official, Paul Jewell is the new manager on a 3 and a half year contract. I'm happy with that, been there and done it before, which is something we definately needed at the club.

He does have a habit of resigning, but that's usually with the club in a better position than when he started, which will do me very nicely thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 10:47 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

PAUL JEWELL - FULL BIOGRAPHY
Posted on: Wed 28 Nov 2007

Former Wigan boss Paul Jewell resigned from the JJB hotseat at the end of the 2006-07 season having successfully kept the club in the Premier League. The 43-year-old took a short break from the game before taking over the hotseat at Derby County.

Liverpool-born Jewell began his playing career at Anfield before joining Wigan where he made 137 league appearances, scoring 35 goals.

He was part of a team that reached the quarter-finals of the FA Cup (1985-86) and became a fans' favourite during his three years at Springfield Park.

He signed for Bradford in 1988 for £80,000 and fully justified his fee as he earned the tag of the 'complete professional', scoring 56 times during his 269 league appearances for the Bantams.

Jewell took charge of Bradford's reserves during the 1996-97 season and was later appointed joint first team coach before replacing Chris Kamara as manager at the end of 1997.

He celebrated his first full year in charge when he received the Nationwide Football League Division One Manager of the Month Award for December 1998 with the season culminating in taking Bradford's promotion into England's top division for the first time in their history.

Jewell performed heroics in steering the Bantams to top flight survival with a final day triumph over Liverpool.

But just weeks after that amazing achievement, he handed in a resignation request, citing his desire for a new challenge as the reason behind his decision to quit Valley Parade.

Reviving the fortunes of First Division Sheffield Wednesday was the challenge Jewell had in mind as he looked to steer them back into the Premier League.

However, limited funds and an extensive injury list hampered The Owls' campaign from the off and they were soon at the foot of the table and facing another relegation battle. Jewell left Hillsborough in February 2001.

He succeeded Steve Bruce at Wigan in June 2001 and in the 2002-03 season Jewell's side clicked and won Division Two after securing 100 points and losing just four games on their way to the championship.

Afterwards Jewell said: "I said to the players let's enjoy it because we have to make the most of it. The players have deserved all the credit and everyone else deserves the credit because it has been a team effort, right through from the chairman to the fans."

As if that wasn't achievement enough, second place in the Championship in 2004-05 resulted and Jewell landed Wigan a spot in the top flight for the first time in the club's history, somewhere he was to keep them for another two seasons.

Add to that a place in the Carling Cup final at the end of the 2005-06 campaign - Wigan lost to Manchester United after having beaten Arsenal in the semi-final - and even though he's still only a young manager Paul Jewell has an impressive footballing CV.

He has also won no less than six manager of the month awards so far in his career

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 10:49 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

JEWELL SPEAKS TO THE MEDIA
Posted on: Wed 28 Nov 2007

New Derby County manager Paul Jewell has been speaking to the media for the first time since taking over at Pride Park Stadium.

The former Wigan, Sheffield Wednesday and Bradford man said: "I have taken time out of football to reflect on my time at Wigan, to reflect on how I can get better as a manager.

"That time hasn't just been used by playing golf - I have done a lot of travelling and watched a lot of football.

"I had a few offers from other clubs which I have been flattered by but Derby is the one that excited me.

"I also want to say that Billy Davies did a fantastic job here in getting the club to the Premier League.

"It is a fantastic club with great facilities and I think we can move forward.

"I know we are in a struggling situation at the moment but all isn't lost, I'm here for the long-term to try and get the club moving in the right direction.

"Every challenge is big but this excites me.

"The chairman called me yesterday, it was the first time I had spoken to him, and it all happened very quickly.

"I'm delighted and excited to be here and I'm looking forward to the challenge.

"I'm not here to make false promises but if I don't believe we can stay up, if the players don't, if the supporters don't, then we have got no chance.

"I'm not here to raise the white flag. It's going to be difficult but we are not adrift, we have got to work together to try and get out of this.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 11:24
International

Teams: Arsenal
Jewell is a fighter and will add some fight into Derby, whether that is enough is questionable.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 11:34
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Arsenal of course
how much will he have to spend is the big question.

Di Stefano - the South American Wilshere!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 11:37 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jern Lizardhous
how much will he have to spend is the big question.
Indeed it is. There will be money for sure, there was left over money from the last window, it was more a case of not being able to spend any more rather than not having anymore.

But the big question is, will Pearson be able to find this foreign investment that he is after.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 12:07
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
happy with the decision, no surprise really, Ince is too inexperienced for the job and I think McClaren wants to take a break after England
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 12:28
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
I am very very happy and pleased with this appoinment, not a better 'available' manager out their at the moment who is better suited with trying to keep us in the Premiership...had a terrible dream last night that it was going to be McLaren incharge LOL!!!

anyway enuff of that, ermmmm Jewell comes across as being confident but no-over confident, whilst also being realistic about the situation at the moment. Nice to see that we got this sorted quickly as well, because the more it dragged I could have the season just getting worse and worse...Clearly Pearson got his man, that was clear to see from the press conference, wonder how much money will be made for the manager in the transfer window in january...

Good luck to the Jewell anyway, was always my first choice on getting the job, when Davies mutually *cough* left *cough* the club, and hopefully might be able to rejuvinate some of the players at the club

Is really hoping one day we will create footballer's who are actually creative rather than have 'great' engines...is that hard to ask
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 13:08
Legend

Teams: Arsenal/France

Zidane: The French Fabregas
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 14:36
0-1, Huth.
International

Great appointment for Derby. A bit gutted though. I got this unhealthy feeling that he just might keep you up.

If Carlsberg did forum signatures......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!:
Nottingham Forest 2-5 Yeovil Town

May 2007
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 16:21 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Wonder what other coaches will be coming in, seems as we just about got rid of everyone Have heard Hutchings is coming, and possibly Stan Ternent as well.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2007, 16:27
World Class Player

Teams: AEK Athens & Dirty Leeds
WOW... swift action by Derby.

..Nice actions too, Jewell will do well for you.

Just cat help but feel that you are in a worse state than his other clubs.Wigan had more points at this point and just stayed up, the same with bradford i think and they just stayed up.

But, come on... the whole reason Wigan are in a mess is because of his poor signings last january...he didnt improve that squad at all.Hes not some mastermind liek Redknapp.

Still Jewell is alot lot better than Davies... The only Job Done now is his own !!

See you in hell Davies

05.04.00 - 05.04.09

9 years of hurt and pain.

An anniversary we never wanted, but one we'll never forget.

R.I.P boys.

"We're gunna stay with you forever"

NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2007, 11:24 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_Fadabeilo

But, come on... the whole reason Wigan are in a mess is because of his poor signings last january...he didnt improve that squad at all.Hes not some mastermind liek Redknapp.
That's because no-one wants to sign for Wigan, and that's why he left

It would be an unbelieveable turn around if he keeps us up, Manager of the Year worthy, but even if he can't do it, he's also a manager who knows how to get promotion out of the Championship.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2007, 23:03
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
two new staff members come in with Jewell. Stan Ternent who managed Hull City, Blackpool, Bury, Burnley and Gillingham, quite successful in the lower leagues and most recently he was a scout for Birmingham

The second man is Mark Seagraves who was a former Liverpool youth player. He worked with Jewell at Wigan and is considered an "up and coming coach"
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2007, 10:44 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Seems as we got rid of everyone, there will be more to come after this as well I would think. Ternent is assistant manager, so Hutchings must be hoping for a managers job.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2007, 10:58
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
I didn't really agree with the Davies sacking, but at least we have made a good appointment, hopefully Jewell can take us forward.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in