Derby Need A Rich Yank Thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old November 13th, 2007, 11:18 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Derby Need A Rich Yank Thread

USA quest for Pearson

Derby County chairman Adam Pearson is in America stepping up his search for new investment.

The former Hull City chief joined the Rams board last month after purchasing a substantial block of shares from outgoing chairman Peter Gadsby, who has remained as a director.

From day one Pearson said his priority is to seek external investment to help the Rams to compete in the Premier League.

Pearson, whose first home game as chairman ended in disappointment on Saturday as Derby were crushed 5-0 by West Ham, is believed to be in Detroit.

He was unavailable for comment last night. Speculation concerning interest from potential investors in the US has surrounded the Rams for some months

Rich Englishmen just don't have enough money these days, we we're a rich "big spending" club in the Championship, but we've come up spent around £12 million and people say we've not spent anything. I don't see anyone coming up from the Championship with any more to spend that that. The money gap is getting even bigger now, and joining the ranks of the rich foreign owner could be the only hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2007, 19:59
International

Teams: 1.FC Nürnberg, 1.FCN reserves, QPR, P.F.C
Quote:
Could this be Derby's new badge?
This is not good. :rollani:

GLUBB

"Unsre Liebe unser Leiden unser ganzer Stolz bist du! Wir werden niemals untergehn wir werden immer zu dir stehn unsre Fahnen sie wehen auch wenn du mal verlierst, allez allez, Nürnberg allez......"
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2007, 20:16
Star Player

Teams: England B
Phil Thompson to replace Davies then?

Champions of England - 1948/49 & 1949/50

Ernie Butler
Bill Hindmarsh------------------Harry Ferrier
Jimmy Scoular-------------------Reg Flewin (c)---------------Jimmy Dickinson
Ike Clarke---------------------Len Phillips
Peter Harris---------------------Duggie Reid------------------Jack Froggatt

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2007, 11:36 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Oh yes, the pure comedy genius, and the whole story has just been made up by some tosser in the media, just for something to put his Mickey Mouse jokes in

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2007, 16:47
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
In many ways.. getting foreign investment is almost a nessecisty now if you want to compete now in the Premier League, not a nice thought for all the purists out their , but its true im afraid

I think if we can secure any sort of investment into the club, providing it's for the right ethical motives, then I think we might be able to go somwhere. I just don't in affect wanting us being like a Chelsea, and just buying, buying and more buying. I'd like to see proper investment into the club, such as developing the stadium etc etc, and starting from the top down, rather than the other way round.. I know thats a very old school view to take, but im a big believer in stuff like that. Im also really proud of the tradition and heritage we have at the club

If we do get investment, then I hope the investers actually care about the club, and don't see it as a money making opportunity

Is really hoping one day we will create footballer's who are actually creative rather than have 'great' engines...is that hard to ask
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old December 19th, 2007, 09:42 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Board backs cash quest

By Steve Nicholson

Derby County's board has agreed to push on with talks over potential American investment.

Chairman Adam Pearson was given the go-ahead at yesterday's board meeting to move things forward.

“We are all in agreement, everybody is happy with the content of the deal as it is proposed and we will continue to push on with it,” said Pearson.

“Hopefully, we will have a definitive answer by the end of the year.”

Derby are in negotiations with an American sports management company but are keeping the identity of the possible investors and the size of investment under wraps.

The company is backed by five equity funds and is already involved with a number of sports in the United States, including American football, baseball and basketball.

Pearson does not intend to go back out to America and said there were no plans for the Americans to visit Derby.

“We are happy with the way negotiations are progressing,” he said.

The proposed multi-million- pound deal is likely to pay off the club's debt and provide transfer funds for manager Paul Jewell.

The Rams boss is keen to bring in new players next month when the transfer window opens but how much he has to spend will depend on the search for investment and the team's position in the Premier league. They are currently bottom.

Pearson describes potential American involvement in the club as a “very exciting new partnership.”

This is what we need, and it looks like we're closing in on it. Though knowing our luck they'll end up going to another club

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old December 31st, 2007, 14:48
World Class Player

Teams: AEK Athens & Dirty Leeds
Do Americans not realise we have relegation ?

Its not like NFL.. and its Derby, bloody hell.. must be a hill-billy because its jsut not normal to want to invest in Derby

05.04.00 - 05.04.09

9 years of hurt and pain.

An anniversary we never wanted, but one we'll never forget.

R.I.P boys.

"We're gunna stay with you forever"

NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old December 31st, 2007, 23:04
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Pearson plans transfer policy
Derby chairman Adam Pearson has revealed the Rams hope to sign five new players in the January transfer window as they bid to avoid Premier League relegation.

The Rams crashed to a 2-1 home defeat to Blackburn on Sunday to remain rooted to the bottom of the table and 10 points adrift of safety.

And Pearson has revealed he held a meeting with manager Paul Jewell following the defeat to discuss the club's transfer policy for the New Year.

Pearson admits Derby face a tough task to remain in the top flight, but he is refusing to give up on hopes of survival and he has hinted he will be looking to bring foreign faces to Pride Park.

"We have to be realistic, it (top flight survival) looks a very difficult challenge," Pearson told Sky Sports News. "So the recruitment that we do this January will be based on a bit of pragmatism.

"There is no doubt we need to bring in some players because we need to freshen it up and we need to give it a real go towards the end of the season.

"We will bring in four or five players if we can and look to push our net a little wider than has been done in the past."

Pearson has also said the Rams are still attempting to attract investment in the club in a bid to raise extra funds, but he does not expect this to happen before the transfer window opens.

"We are still trying to get investment in and if that happens the situation will change," Pearson added. "But we are certainly going to be investing some money in this window that's for sure.

"We hope to announce something in the New Year but it is by no means nailed on so we are going into this window as we are now.

"That means we are going to spend some money and we are going to trade players in and out. Some will be for this season and some will be for next.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old January 25th, 2008, 12:47 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Rams close to US deal

The Evening Telegraph understands Derby County are on the verge of tying up a deal for new investment.

Talks with American investors have been going on for the past few months and an official announcement could be made early next week.

The Rams have been negotiating with a sports management company which is heavily involved in American football, as well as baseball and basketball, and is backed by a number of equity funds.

Derby have kept the identity of the investors and the size of the investment under wraps The deal is believed to be worth tens of millions of pounds and could wipe out the club's debt.

It would purchase shares from shareholders and provide funds for a transfer kitty to assist manager Paul Jewell.

Derby's shareholders are happy to proceed with the deal and the matter is expected to speed up over the next few days.

New investment is likely to lead to a shake-up of the current board.

Well it's been dragging on for ages now, hopefully it will soon be sorted out.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2008, 00:01
World Class Player

Teams: AEK Athens & Dirty Leeds
Cant wait to play you next year ....

The welcome to Hell flag has to come out for it if those yanks came to Leeds

05.04.00 - 05.04.09

9 years of hurt and pain.

An anniversary we never wanted, but one we'll never forget.

R.I.P boys.

"We're gunna stay with you forever"

NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2008, 03:59
Premier Player

Teams: Roma; Napoli and southern Italian teams v north
Yet another American infiltration ... what has happened to English football.

They've taken the soul of the league ...

It's gone.

It's now a McDonald's drive thru ...
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2008, 11:12 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Official confirmation expected to be announced on Monday

I'm not the slightest bit arsed about the state of the English game, only the good of Derby County interests me, and we just haven't been able to compete this year. Hopefully with this investment we can come back up, and next time actually compete in the division.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2008, 11:13 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_Fadabeilo
Cant wait to play you next year ....

The welcome to Hell flag has to come out for it if those yanks came to Leeds
I'm already looking forward to it Not that there's any guarantee your coming up, Swansea are looking very good, so one of you or Forest will have to go in the play offs, and anything can happen there.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2008, 14:37
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
I must admit I'm slightly excited by the prospect of getting this American investment, because unfortunatley nowadays, to make any sort of impact in the Premier League you need a billionaire to plough money into the club, just like Chelsea has done.... ermm but you hope at least they stay around for a while, and actually go through with the some of the promises and aims they announce on Monday

Team Derby FC here we comeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:howle r:

Is really hoping one day we will create footballer's who are actually creative rather than have 'great' engines...is that hard to ask
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2008, 10:39 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

RAMS CONFIRM GSE ANNOUNCEMENT
Posted on: Mon 28 Jan 2008

Athough full details of the announcement will not be revealed until a Pride Park media conference at 2pm today, the Rams can confirm media reports concerning the identity of the new owners of Derby County.

The United States-based General Sports and Entertainment (GSE) have agreed an investment partnership with the club that aims to establish the Rams as a Premier League force of the future.

Adam PearsonDerby County Chairman Adam Pearson (pictured left) made it clear the cash and management expertise being invested in the club by GSE was in the form of cash, not debt, and that the financial future of the club is now underpinned.
Article continues
Advertisement

"This is a significant day in the history of this club," said Pearson, "and the takeover adds new financial firepower, underpinning a long term plan to establish Derby County as a major player in the Premier League and as an international club brand.

"The long-term aim is to establish the Derby County brand worldwide through successful alliances with sporting teams in the USA, Far East and other continents. The immediate aim though is to continue to build the infrastructure of the club at Pride Park and obviously develop a squad which over the coming seasons is renowned as a Premier League force. The turnaround in the fortunes of Aston Villa, with their American investment in squad and club infrastructure, is a key model we would like to emulate over the coming seasons."

General Sports and Entertainment was founded in the USA in 1998 by Chairman Andy Appleby, 45, who said: "We are excited about the opportunity to make a significant impact at Derby County with our collective sports industry knowledge of best practices in management, sales and marketing. We have visited Derby County over the last six months and experienced a match day at Pride Park Stadium, where we were impressed with the incredible potential of the club and the loyalty of the fan-base."

The new-look Board will include Appleby, Pearson and Tom Glick, who will be joining the club soon as new President and Chief Executive Officer. Pearson stays on as Chairman of Football Operations, together with current Finance Director and Company Secretary Martin Ridgeway, Operations Director John Vicars and Commercial Director Perry Deakin. Glick, 39, an experienced sports management professional, is re-locating from the USA. Glick is part of the General Sports organisation and most recently was Chief Marketing Officer for the New Jersey Nets of the NBA. Glick will be joined in Derby by another member of the General Sports organisation, Tim Hinchey, who will be joining the club soon as an Executive Vice President. Hinchey most recently served as a Vice President with the Charlotte Bobcats of the NBA.

Don Amott and Peter Gadsby will be reappointed as non-executive directors, representing an important continuation in terms of the history of the club and the local Derby community.

Pearson added: "On behalf of everyone at Derby County and the supporters of the club, I want to thank the shareholders for their approval of the GSE arrangement. The achievements of the former Board, led by Peter Gadsby, in rescuing this club from financial difficulty cannot be under-estimated and will never be forgotten."

General Sports and Entertainment is a multi-faceted sports and entertainment marketing and management firm with a reputation for excellence in the USA. Appleby is former Senior Vice President of Palace Sports and Entertainment and the Detroit Pistons and it was in a suburb of Detroit in 1998 that he launched GSE.

Appleby said: "We have a company philosophy that we like to call 'The GSE Difference'. It is the standard of excellence that we expect and demand in the service that we provide to all our clients, and that standard of excellence carries through to every aspect of our business. Everything we do is held to the highest standard of excellence, first-class operation and professionalism."

GSE will be managing the investment of members of the USA consortium they have brought together, but crucially will also bring their business expertise to the management of Derby County.

A new recruit to GSE's key personnel in the States is Vice President of Soccer Roger Faulkner, who, as a consultant, played a part in the acquisition of Derby County. Faulkner, who grew up in Derbyshire and attended the former Herbert Strutt Grammar School in Belper, was a top 10 ranked England junior tennis player before moving to the USA in the 1960s. He will assist GSE with the Derby County operation.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old January 29th, 2008, 10:30
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
At least we now have something to be a bit optimistic about.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old January 29th, 2008, 10:54
International

Teams: 1.FC Nürnberg, 1.FCN reserves, QPR, P.F.C
I just read about your new investor in the German FCN forum (not here on xt). The purists are moaning because another club has sold its soul.

Durkos' post from the 16-11-2007 sums it up quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_Fadabeilo
Do Americans not realise we have relegation ?
That would be too good...

GLUBB

"Unsre Liebe unser Leiden unser ganzer Stolz bist du! Wir werden niemals untergehn wir werden immer zu dir stehn unsre Fahnen sie wehen auch wenn du mal verlierst, allez allez, Nürnberg allez......"
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old January 29th, 2008, 13:05 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiollama
I just read about your new investor in the German FCN forum (not here on xt). The purists are moaning because another club has sold its soul.

Adam Pearson's not from Derby, the owners before Peter Gadsby were not from Derby, don't see foreign owners being any diferent from owners from elsewhere from the UK who don't support the club, but no-one (outside of Derby) moans about that.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in