Villa v DERBY @ Villa Park 03.11.07 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2007, 12:15 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Villa v DERBY @ Villa Park 03.11.07

Well I've got my tickets, must be a gluten for punishment If we can keep it below 3 I'll be happy, the pace Villa has up front really worries me.

We need a goal if nothing else from the game, still now 1 away and none in the last 3 games.

If Feilhaber doesn't play I'll just give up, and stop going on about him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2007, 13:22
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
Seemingly a place traditionally we have been just down right awful.. From our last Premiership times, I can't remember us getting anything from Villa park every

Its hard to see us getting any sort of result from this game, perhaps a shot would be a start then see where we go from there

To be honest.. it's getting scary to the point of wanting Feilhaber playing, because we were told he was one of the best young talents out their, and has only started one bloody game for us, I mean is it case of unleshing him in the second half of the season or what

Is really hoping one day we will create footballer's who are actually creative rather than have 'great' engines...is that hard to ask
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2007, 15:46 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Feilhaber must be wondering why he bloody signed for us, when there's players not half as good as him playing instead and getting hammered every week

If we're playing a hard working side instead, which is going to be about high energy, and getting in the faces of the opposition to unsettle them there may be a point, but there was none of that against Everton, and even then have the guy on the bench so you can bring him on...I'm sure I said I was going to stop banging on about this

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2007, 15:54 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Well we was saying we never did well at Villa Park, the last win there was from goals from Goddard and Saunders 1988.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2007, 11:40 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Leacock may be man in the middle at Villa

by Steve Nicholson

Defender Dean Leacock could find himself filling the holding role in midfield for Derby County against Aston Villa on Saturday.

Leacock's versatility is giving manager Billy Davies food for thought ahead of the trip to Villa Park.

Derby are bottom of the Premier League with only one win and Davies is looking at ways of giving the Rams better balance and making them more difficult to beat.

Leacock, who signed from Fulham, started as a holding midfielder in the last away game at his old club before he dropped into his normal role at centre-back following an injury to Claude Davis.

But the 23-year-old's foray into midfield impressed Davies, who believes Leacock has the required attributes for the role.

“I think he can be an athletic midfield player. It is not a new position to Dean, he has played there before with Fulham and does it regularly in training,” said Davies.
“He can receive the ball and pass and can win headers in front of the back four.
“Dean looks comfortable in there and he complements our attacking players when he does play there.

“Even with the changes we had to make at Fulham we looked a much, much better side and a more confident side.
“Playing Dean in that position is something we will have a think about again this wekeend.”

Leacock picked up a groin strain in the goalless draw at Craven Cottage.
He was doubtful in the build-up to the Everton game on Sunday and was eventually an unused substitute.

He signed as a defender in August 2006 and proved a key player alongside Darren Moore at the heart of the back four during the promotion campaign.
Davies has opted for a midfield player sitting in front of the defence in a number of games this season.

Andy Todd, another centre-back, screened the defence against Portsmouth, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur.

Bob Malcolm was brought in to do the job at Liverpool but the Rams were crushed 6-0 on a bad day for the team.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2007, 11:42 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

I thought we we're just playing 5 at the back against Fulham I suppose we do need to make ourselves more difficult to beat, because we're not scoring many. If we do play with Leacock in this role I hope we at least have 2 upfront, or Barnes in a free role.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2007, 12:20
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
With Villa's home form and our away, you'd have to be very optimistic to think we can get anything from this game.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2007, 17:52 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

MATCH PREVIEW: ASTON VILLA v DERBY
Posted on: Thu 01 Nov 2007

The Rams head to Villa Park looking to build on the progress from their last away game, that 0-0 draw at Fulham almost a fortnight ago.

That marked a first clean sheet and a first point on the road this season for Billy Davies's side.

Defeat at home to Everton on Sunday, and in the manner it came, was something of a setback given the steady improvement over recent weeks.

But one thing we did see a lot of last season was the ability of Derby to bounce back from a blow.

Now they face an Aston Villa side hovering comfortably in mid-table but with aspirations of challenging the top six.

Their last outing in front of the home faithful ended in a 4-1 defeat, though that only tells the story as two players were sent off and Manchester United were simply inspired.

Martin O'Neill has got Villa moving in the right direction again after a difficult couple of years.

It's easy to forget that European football's top prize resided at Villa Park only 25 years ago.

Match Quote

Gabriel Agbonlahor told www.avfc.co.uk: "We've got some important games coming up, starting with Derby on Saturday, and we're looking to string a few results together.

"We want to start jumping up the league and to do that we definitely have to win our home games.

"We'd been doing well at Villa Park until the Manchester United game and we want to get back to winning ways at Villa Park.

"When the fans get behind us at Villa Park we feel we can do a job against anybody and we want to go into the derby game against Blues with a win."

TEAM NEWS

Goalkeeper Scott Carson and midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker are available again for the home side after suspension.

Curtis Davies is finding his feet in the reserves after a difficult start to his Villa career but boss Martin O'Neill may choose to keep an unchanged defence.

John Carew is rated as "touch and go", Patrik Berger only made his first appearance of the season on Sunday, and new-boy Moustapha Salifou is building his fitness.

For Derby, striker Kenny Miller is hopeful of being fit after picking up a hamstring injury in the defeat to Everton.

Stephen Pearson and Andy Griffin will be fine after a virus, while Dean Leacock is clear of the groin injury that had been troubling him.

But Andy Todd continues to have problems with his back and hamstring and won't feature until he is fully-fit

MATCH FACTS

Derby go looking for their first win at Villa Park since November 1988 when Dean Saunders and Paul Goddard netted in a 2-1 success for Arthur Cox's side.

The Rams' last top-flight spell didn't see much success there as they were beaten in each of their six visits.

Tyrone Mears needs one more appearance for 100 career league outings with Manchester City, Preston, West Ham and Derby.

Eddie Lewis is one shy of 250 in the English game following his earlier spells with Fulham, Preston and Leeds.

THE REFEREE

Lancashire's Mark Halsey takes charge on Saturday following a season that began at Wembley for the Community Shield clash between Chelsea and Manchester United.

Halsey's 12 games in 2007/08 have seen 31 yellow cards with just a solitary dismissal, Arsenal's Philippe Senderos in the September game with Portsmouth.

He was last in charge of Derby on April 9 2005, when George Burley's side beat Stoke City 3-1 at Pride Park.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2007, 20:26
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
no chance in my opinion, the most positive result will be a scoreless draw. I can't see Derby scoring at Villa Park and it will be another one of these long difficult away matches, 3:0 or maybe even 4:0 to Villa
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:21 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Don't think I could take going to Villa Park and watching us get thrashed, we've got to at least put in a decent display, the Everton game was shocking, it was too easy for them. Last season Watford and Sheff Utd at least gave teams hard games, too many times this season we've just rolled over for the other team, which is the most disappointing thing.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:32 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

So I was thinking, could things be worse? Answer: Yes. Take a look at Wigan, got a 2 wins in their first 3 games which got them off to a good start, but have since lost 5 games in a row, and their next 4 games are Chelsea (h) ,Spurs (a), Arsenal (a), City (h)

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2007, 15:17 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Despite all the doom and gloom, the fans are still turning up, less than 100 restricted view tickets left only, mind you everyone's probably only turning up too have a good moan

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2007, 15:05
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

no Miller, he has a slight injury, meaning Fagan and Howard up front and Griffin is in the side, oh boy
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2007, 15:15
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I guess one positive so far is because Villa have some injury problems, they are playing with only one striker, not many goals in the lineup but surely they will score some against Derby!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2007, 16:56
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Liverpool
HT , (0-0)

I don`t know if this level is your best .. actually , Derby haven`t shown any positive performances . even against Villa they they are struggling .

Villa possessed more in the 1st half and had real chances to score , especially that one made by Agbonlahor near the crossbar .
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2007, 17:19
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

1-0

villa scores by Laurssen .
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2007, 17:56
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

2:0 loss, still no away goal, but really this result was expected, the only good news is that the results keep going Derby's way (outside of Fulham's win) but Derby need to shape up if they want any chance of staying up
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2007, 17:56
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

FT 2-0

the 2nd goal was scored by Young .

HARD LUCK TO ALL DERBY FANS .
ANOTHER DISAPPOINTED RESULT , I WISH FOR YA THE BEST IN COMING GAMES .

HARD LUCK MY FRIEND , HajdukSplit ..
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2007, 18:08
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
To be quite honest.. It's all getting very very depressing at the moment, ermmm Jimbo will obviously let us know more.. but its just very depressing knowing that we just don't have the quality to really compete in this league week in and week out..

Doesn't get much easier though.. West Ham and Chelsea at home... do ya think we will think get any points at all

Is really hoping one day we will create footballer's who are actually creative rather than have 'great' engines...is that hard to ask
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2007, 18:28
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

here is the bottom half of the table, Derby are still mathematically not in a terrible situation, but Derby have to stop hoping that results go there way and start getting points

10. Newcastle 11 1 17
11. West Ham 10 3 14
12. Reading 12 -11 13
13. Fulham 12 -2 12
14. Birmingham 12 -6 11
15. Sunderland 11 -8 9
16. Middlesbrough 12 -11 9
17. Tottenham 12 -5 8
------------------------
18. Wigan 12 -9 8
19. Bolton 11 -7 6
20. Derby 12 -21 6

our goal difference will kill us if we somehow manage to get into a tiebreak situation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in