LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 15:08 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
The Brian Clough Trophy

THE BRIAN CLOUGH TROPHY
Posted on: Wed 04 Jul 2007

A new trophy carrying the name of legendary manager Brian Clough will be played for between the two east midlands clubs where he made his mark.

Derby County and Nottingham Forest will compete for the Brian Clough Trophy for the first time at Pride Park Stadium on Tuesday July 31.

The competitive game - which could raise a six-figure sum for east midlands charities - will form a key part of both clubs' first team preparations for the 2007/08 season.

Special guests will include members of the European Cup winning sides Brian managed at Forest and his 1972 Derby County Championship side.

The trophy will be presented to the winning club by the great man's widow Barbara, who said: "Brian would have thoroughly approved of this trophy, to be played between two clubs he loved so much.

"It is a brilliant idea to harness the healthy rivalry of both sets of fans into an occasion that benefits local charities."

Derby County, Forest and the Brian Clough Memorial Fund will nominate charities to benefit from all the profits from the game.

Any future match between the two clubs - be it league, cup or friendly - will automatically become a Brian Clough Trophy game, with the cup going to the winning club. In the event of a draw, the trophy will be retained by the club in possession.

The July 31 game, for which tickets will be priced Ł10 adults, Ł5 seniors and Ł2 under 16s, kicks off at 7.45pm and will be decided, if necessary, on penalties.

Brian Clough's name lives on not just in the hearts and minds of Rams and Forest fans, but in the A52 road that links the cities of Derby and Nottingham - named "Brian Clough Way" after his death in 2004.

No other individual has become a hero of both the Derby and Nottingham public - a feat that reflects his incredible achievements at clubs he took on in the doldrums and catapulted to fantastic success.

Details of the Brian Clough Trophy were agreed and finalised at a meeting on Tuesday attended by Barbara Clough, son Nigel and officials from Derby County and Nottingham Forest.

Tickets are available for Derby County supporters, initially to 2007/08 season ticket holders only, from 9am this Friday, July 6, through the usual channels.

Tickets for Nottingham Forest supporters will be available shortly. Fans are asked to keep an eye on the website, www.nottinghamforest.co.uk and the local media for further details.

Derby County ticket details can be found via Tickets>Match Details at www.dcfc.co.uk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 15:09 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Great stuff

Though with it being on a tuesday night, I doubt I will be able to go.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2007, 10:32 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Barbara hails trophy clash between rivals
Barbara Clough, the widow of legendary manager Brian, has given her backing to a pre-season game between rivals Derby County and Nottingham Forest for the Brian Clough Trophy.

The game will take place at Pride Park Stadium on Tuesday, July 31, at 7.45pm and could raise a six-figure sum for east midlands' charities to be chosen by the two clubs and the Brian Clough Memorial Fund.

"Brian would have thoroughly approved of this trophy, to be played between two clubs he loved so much," said Mrs Clough, who will present the trophy to the winning team.

"It is a brilliant idea to harness the healthy rivalry of both sets of fans into an occasion that benefits local charities," she added.

Clough, who guided Derby and Forest to great success, died almost three years ago.

Details of the match were agreed and finalised at a meeting attended by Mrs Clough, son Nigel and officials from Derby. Special guests will include members of Derby's 1971-72 Championship-winning side and Forest's European Cup winning sides.

Any future meeting between the two clubs, be it league, cup or friendly, will automatically become a Brian Clough Trophy game, with the cup going to the winning club. In the event of a draw, the trophy will be retained by the holders.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2007, 16:22
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
It will be good to have an annual match against them, seems as we won't be playing them in the league for many years
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2007, 16:42
Star Player

Teams: Nottingham Forest, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Neil
It will be good to have an annual match against them, seems as we won't be playing them in the league for many years
I wouldnt be too confident...my money is on you going straight back down whereas we have every chance of going back up.

I would love it if we beat you....it would be a fairytale win.

"If god wanted us to play football in the air then he would have built a pitch in the clouds"

Brian Clough - Legend
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2007, 16:44 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
my money is on you going straight back down
You surprise me...

A good chance of going up this year eh? a bit like last year and the year before

You should have walked that league last season, I wouldn't even be surprised if you cocked it up again.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2007, 19:41
0-1, Huth.
International

Good stuff. Anything that carries the name of the great legend is worth playing for.

If Carlsberg did forum signatures......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!:
Nottingham Forest 2-5 Yeovil Town

May 2007
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2007, 19:56
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
I think for an advantage, shall we let Forest have a 2 goal led, soo they go into the game already 2-0

At least then they can make amends for the Yeovi fisasco!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2007, 10:35 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

I do worry a bit about us being in a lose-lose situation though, if we win, that's what's expected, if we lose it will be very embarassing.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2007, 10:37 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Extra police at Rams-Forest match

Extra police will be drafted in for the Brian Clough memorial match between rivals Derby County and Nottingham Forest.

But Derbyshire Constabulary hopes fans from both sides will behave and enter into the spirit of the game in honour of the clubs' legendary former manager.

The Brian Clough Trophy match will take place at Pride Park Stadium, on July 31, at 7.45pm.

Rival groups of fans began taunting each other on the internet within hours of the match being announced yesterday.

But police are confident their match-day operation will ensure the game goes peacefully.

A spokesman said: "Although we know there's rivalry between the two sets of fans, we hope people treat the match in the right spirit and come to enjoy it."

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2007, 10:42 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

The Brian Clough Trophy.
Attached Images

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old July 26th, 2007, 11:49
Premier Player

Nice bit of silverware, hopefully taking permanent residence in the trophy room at Pride Park.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2007, 10:57 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Tonight's the night, the first ever Brian Clough Trophy match. Over 20,000 tickets sold, not been snapped up as quickly as might be expected though.

I was going to go when I was going to be on strike, but strike is cancelled and now I have to work

Oh well, the way pre seasons been going I fear the worst anyway.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2007, 12:24 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

PREVIEW: THE BRIAN CLOUGH TROPHY
Posted on: Tue 31 Jul 2007

Tonight's game, while a charity fundraiser in the name of the legendary Brian Clough, forms a vital part of the pre-season preparations for both clubs.

For Derby County, they are building towards a return to Premier League football after May's play-off victory.

Nottingham Forest also found themselves in the play-offs at the end of 2006/07 but they were less successful.

The weight of expectation is building at the City Ground as they embark on a third successive season in League 1.

Forest dropped into the third tier for the first time in the club's history at the end of 2004/05, but have so far failed to make the step back up.

Last season they collapsed at home to Yeovil in the play-off semi-final to miss out on a place at Wembley.

Forest, don't forget, are two-time champions of Europe and are the only winners of club football's top prize to slip into the third tier of their domestic league.

The home faithful will be putting boss Colin Calderwood under pressure to deliver promotion this season.

Nothing less will suffice.

MATCH FACTS

The two teams have met 79 times in competitive football with Derby claiming 27 victories, 33 for Forest and 19 draws.

They have met four times at Pride Park since the stadium opened in 1997 and the Rams have won three of the clashes, with a further goalless draw.

From the line-ups for the last encounter here, in December 2004, only Michael Johnson and Richard Jackson remain in Derby's squad.

Wes Morgan is the only remaining representative of the Forest side beaten 3-0.

THE REFEREE

Sheffield's Uriah Rennie will have the honour of blowing the whistle to oversee the Brian Clough Trophy.

His last venture to Derby came in October last year for the Rams' 1-0 defeat at home to Birmingham City.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2007, 17:47
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
Well yeh, all im hopin for is a good performance win lose or draw for me really, the results means nuffin as far in concerned... yeh it would be nice to get one over on Forest... but we are 2 leagues above them now.. soo we shud be expecting a win really !!
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2007, 22:25 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Derby 2-0 Forest

Well that one went to plan, an easy win McEveley and Fagan with the goals. Another start for Beardsley. We should have had more goals really, can't afford to be that wasteful in the premiership, but that's what pre season is for getting that sharpness.

Most importantly the Brian Clough Trophy is where it belongs, in the Pride Park trophy cabinet, and long may it stay there.

DERBY: Bywater, Beardsley (Mears 69), Camara, McEveley (Jones 77), Todd, Moore, Teale, Oakley (C), Fagan (Howard 71), Earnshaw (Macken 71), Pearson.

SUBS: Price (GK), Malcolm, Leacock.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2007, 11:01
Premier Player

Nice easy win

The players seemed really up for it, but to be fair, if you didn't know better you'd have thought it was a league match, with the crowd and atmosphere.

Pearson got Man of the Match and played a blinder, definately a centre mid, his engine as they say, is wasted outwide, he will be a massive player for us this season.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2007, 11:14 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yeah listening on the Radio Pearson sounded awesome, I still think he's our best player, if he can weigh in with a good share of goals this season as well lung busting running in midfield and good creative play, he will proove to be an amazing signing for the small fee we paid.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2007, 13:10
Star Player

Teams: Nottingham Forest, England
Should have been an easy win......you're 2 leagues ahead of us.

Sh*t, id be worried it wasnt more!

"If god wanted us to play football in the air then he would have built a pitch in the clouds"

Brian Clough - Legend
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2007, 15:21
Premier Player

Teams: Nottingham Forest, Roma,Italy
Boooooooooooooooooooooo

"John Robertson was a very unattractive young man. If, one day, I was feeling a bit off colour, I would sit next to him. I was bloody Errol Flynn compared to him, but give him a yard of grass and he was an artist. The Picasso of our game"

Brian Clough

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in