Play Off semi final - DERBY v Southampton - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 126 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2007, 10:46 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Play Off semi final - DERBY v Southampton

First it's off to St Mary's on Saturday, then it's back to Pride Park next Tuesday.

They've given us 4000 tickets, which is more than I expected, I might go down there again, though the midday kick off is a bit off putting. There's bound to be alot of talk about the starting line up and mainly Seth Johnson.

It's Davies v Burley again, hopefully Davies does him again Davies is the better manager for me, far superior tactically, Burley only knows one way of playing, and if it's not working can't/doesn't change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 126 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2007, 17:06 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibril

Imagine Derby and Forest playing at Wembley in the same week. p
Would be interesting for sure

You can bet there would still be some tree huggers hanging around on the Monday.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 126 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2007, 21:48
World Class Player

Teams: AEK Athens & Dirty Leeds
Im sorry but i've developed a new found feeling that so'ton wil lget to the final.

I saw them this season when they hammered leeds 3-0 at ER and i was impressed although every team looked impressive against us, anyway i just have a feeling youll leave st. mary's with a small defeat and end up drawing at pride park... id like myself to be wrong, because XT has grown me clsoer to the derby fans around here

05.04.00 - 05.04.09

9 years of hurt and pain.

An anniversary we never wanted, but one we'll never forget.

R.I.P boys.

"We're gunna stay with you forever"

NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET.

post #4 of 126 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2007, 23:54
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
Hmmm my intial feeling after the Leeds game, was that out of any teams that I would have liked to have played is Southampton ... so in that sense im resonably happy

Like Jimbo really, Burley's sides are all about scoring goals and playing nice attacking football.. I think during the season that is good, and you could argue better to watch than our season, but when it comes to the crunch Davies effective tactics are more effective than Burley's attacking tactics, in a playoff situation. But as we all know the playoffs are a pure lottery and any team can get to the Premiership out of the 4 of us.. I know that is obvious to say, but if you play 3 good games now, your promoted simple as that!!!

I think also that alot of Derby fans are still hurting from 2 years ago, when we lost to Preston in the playoffs, because over the 2 legs we didn't give a good account of ourselves at all although injuries to Idiakez and Rasiak didn't help the cause, but I still felt we just really really poor over the 2 legs... So in a sense, I feel that the fans will want us to perform well and at least get the opportunity to get to Wembley this year!!! , which would cap off an unbelieveble season!!
post #5 of 126 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 10:08 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

I like the way everyone seems to think Southampton are going to win it, I know they put a few wins together to get into 6th in the end, but they've hardly been on Crystal Palace type run of form, look into April and March and their's plenty of defeats.

Their open style of game will suit us, we just need to stay solid at the back and we will be able to get goals on the counter, i expect it will be close though.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #6 of 126 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 22:45
Premier Player

After listning to Oxford go out on penalty's in the conference play-off semi-finals, (btw my mate will be a very distraught man 2moro ).. ermm It made me think that Im pretty sure Derby have never been involved in a shoot-out, of any importance

Obviously we have been involved in cup shoot-outs, losing at Doncaster earlier in the season rings a bell, but in terms if shoot-outs of importance I don't think we have been in one... How would you be if we were involved, I mean I get nervous watchin teams I don't support, buutt Derby I think I would be close to jus breaking down or summit

You think we would suffer from the England syndrome, and just do terribly or do you think we have a team full of confident penalty takers??... obviously looking at players like Howard, Oakley, Jones, Pearson etc
post #7 of 126 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 22:49 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Before Doncaster I think our last shoot out was in the 80's

It's hard to tell with penalty takers really, you'd fancy Stevie Howard to stick one away of course, I'd back Oakley as well, and Seth Johnson just to blast one in, Jones and Oakley have the technical ability you'd expect them to score, but who knows what the pressure could do. Lupoli's another i'd be confident in scoring, if Nyatanga stood up to take one i'd have to look away

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #8 of 126 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 10:55 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Tickets not selling like they did when we had Preston, 2'500 sold so far, but a midday kick off down at Southampton, you can see why people aren't rushing out to buy them, not sure if i'm going yet.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #9 of 126 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 11:22
Star Player

please beat them on pens. it would be amazing
post #10 of 126 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 11:39
International

Teams: 1.FC Nürnberg, 1.FCN reserves, QPR, P.F.C
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo jones
Before Doncaster I think our last shoot out was in the 80's

It's hard to tell with penalty takers really, you'd fancy Stevie Howard to stick one away of course, I'd back Oakley as well, and Seth Johnson just to blast one in, Jones and Oakley have the technical ability you'd expect them to score, but who knows what the pressure could do. Lupoli's another i'd be confident in scoring, if Nyatanga stood up to take one i'd have to look away
This season I saw the first shoot out from the FCN live in the stadium, and before that I only had shoot out defeats in mind. And then we've won two shoot outs in the cup in row. So you never know...

I wish you good luck on Saturday.

GLUBB

"Unsre Liebe unser Leiden unser ganzer Stolz bist du! Wir werden niemals untergehn wir werden immer zu dir stehn unsre Fahnen sie wehen auch wenn du mal verlierst, allez allez, Nürnberg allez......"
post #11 of 126 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 23:28 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Well we've handed 700 tickets back to Southampton for a play off semi final, to be honest I'm embarassed, think i'm gonna officially become a Burton Albion fan.

I know we're pissed off with missing on automatic, and the kick off time is stupid, but fukin hell why does no one want to go, i know that i've not been that bothered about it, but i'm pissed off with everything at the moment, what's everyone else's excuse.

Don't understand why we've sent tickets back already either. It's made us look like a right bunch of c**ts...

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #12 of 126 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2007, 11:04 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

I dunno, they gave us 4,500, so we'll probably take 3,500, it's quite bizarre though, it's the play offs and no-one wants to go, I know 2 people who are going, and I've been to games in groups of 30+ for meaningless games...i can't say anything though, I'm not even going to the home leg

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #13 of 126 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2007, 13:25
Premier Player

Going back to what jimbo said, about handing back 700 tickets to Southampton, don't you think this might more have to do with the fact the kick off time is at half 12 on a saturday, not the most convientent time for Derby fans to get down to Southampton for in the afternoon!!!
post #14 of 126 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2007, 13:48 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkos
Going back to what jimbo said, about handing back 700 tickets to Southampton, don't you think this might more have to do with the fact the kick off time is at half 12 on a saturday, not the most convientent time for Derby fans to get down to Southampton for in the afternoon!!!
Yeah, but the likes of Sunderland, Sheff Wed etc.. wouldn't have been handing any back, wearing into this game with a sense of doom and gloom it seems to me, i just want us to lose so we can concentrate on next season, and getting a squad that can win the league

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #15 of 126 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2007, 17:29
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo jones
Yeah, but the likes of Sunderland, Sheff Wed etc.. wouldn't have been handing any back, wearing into this game with a sense of doom and gloom it seems to me, i just want us to lose so we can concentrate on next season, and getting a squad that can win the league
I think Jimbo, has got a bit of the Ted Mcminn syndrome because he said sumthin on the same lines a couple of weeks back on the radio, saying that he would do somethin similar... where as me I would certaintly prefer to get promoted now with the chance we got now, because you don't know how strong the league is gonna be next year.. because you could already tip Watford as they basically don't have any assests that would get sold, and therefore they would be keeping the same squad... ermm Charlton might be a bit different because they have a few class players in their squad sooo!!

Just keep ya head up Jimbo!!
post #16 of 126 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 09:54 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

In the end I decided not to go, I changed my mind about 8 times during the week, 3 times yesterday, but I just couldn't be arsed to get up so early

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #17 of 126 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 09:56 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkos
I think Jimbo, has got a bit of the Ted Mcminn syndrome because he said sumthin on the same lines a couple of weeks back on the radio, saying that he would do somethin similar... where as me I would certaintly prefer to get promoted now with the chance we got now, because you don't know how strong the league is gonna be next year.. because you could already tip Watford as they basically don't have any assests that would get sold, and therefore they would be keeping the same squad... ermm Charlton might be a bit different because they have a few class players in their squad sooo!!

Just keep ya head up Jimbo!!

I'm just not confident, if nothing else, we've been shyte for the past month, if Pearson is fit, and Jones is back to his normal self after a rest, we might have a chance, think we will miss Barnes though, because I can do 1 thing in a game that will get you a goal out of nothing, we don't have that anymore...except maybe Jones sending in a 30 yarder...i'm just not convinced we can win...

Prediction: Southampton 2-0 Derby

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #18 of 126 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 10:04
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
I think we can get a draw there, I'm saying 1-1 Oakley to score.
post #19 of 126 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 10:11 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Billy Davies is involved in the Championship play-offs for the third time in as many seasons and he takes his Derby side to Southampton, live on Sky Sports 1, hoping the old adage 'third time lucky' rings true.

For much of the campaign Derby were nip and tuck with Sunderland and Birmingham in jostling for an automatic promotion spot but three into two does not go, and it was Davies and his players that missed out.

In finishing third Derby will start the tie as marginal favourites but given it is so often the case that the team that finishes sixth goes up, often on the back of an end of season spurt, it would be no surprise were the mood at St Mary's exuberant.

Southampton only secured a play-off berth on the last day of the season but in demolishing Southend 4-1, George Burley's side demonstrated they are hungry for goals and in a confident vein of form.

Indeed, the major selection quandary for George Burley against his former club will be which pair to prime from a quartet of in-form and freescoring strikers.

Marek Saganowski has pleaded with his manager to be given a recall after recovering from a groin complaint that forced him out of the last three games of the season, and given that he had hit ten goals in ten games prior to injury, the Pole certainly has a case to put forward.

Kenwyne Jones is another hit-man who cannot stop scoring having netted seven times in his last ten games, while Leon Best also grabbed a brace against Southend.

Grzegorz Rasiak will feel he deserves to figure in the club's most important game of the season, having finished the campaign with 20 goals to his name.

At the other end of the field, though, Burley is not afforded such luxuries as his influential captain Claus Lundekvam has been ruled out until next season after being injured against Southend.

Derby's cause was bolstered on the final day by the appearance of Stephen Pearson, who came through 90 minutes against Leeds unscathed, following a ten-week lay-off with a foot injury.

Skipper Matt Oakley missed the 2-0 win over Leeds but is expected to be ready to start, but Morten Bisgaard (calf) and Paul Peschisolido (heel) are both struggling to be ready.

Darren Currie is available having extended his loan spell from Ipswich and the midfielder schemer will be hopeful of starting on the South Coast following his goal against Leeds.

Both managers are well acquainted with the play-offs so it could be a tactical minefield which ensues on Saturday, but what cannot be doubted, is that two talented sides will take to the field desperate to fulfil their goal of winning promotion.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #20 of 126 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 12:17
International

Teams: 1.FC Nürnberg, 1.FCN reserves, QPR, P.F.C
Damn.. 1-0 Southampton. I can watch the first half of the game... then I've got to go to the FCN game. I'm crossing my fingers for you lot.

GLUBB

"Unsre Liebe unser Leiden unser ganzer Stolz bist du! Wir werden niemals untergehn wir werden immer zu dir stehn unsre Fahnen sie wehen auch wenn du mal verlierst, allez allez, Nürnberg allez......"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in