Matt Oakley - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2007, 16:19 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Matt Oakley

The captain doesn't seem very popular among the well...sod it all call them what they are, morons, idiots who think everyone should be playing football like Maradonna used to.

Comments I've heard at games have pissed me off, the worst being at half time when we played West Brom and this tosser went off on one about how he doesn't do anything, he can't change the game get him off etc... 25 minutes later he scored the greatest goal i've ever seen in person from 30 odd yards

People get on his back because he does the ugly stuff, breaks up the play wins tackles, plays the simple balls, and as captain does the talking, and keeps the shape in the midfield, while the players around him like Barnes, Bisgaard, Jones, Lupoli, Smith do the fancy stuff.

It's been a hot topic off debate recently especially now we've broght 2 mor players who can play in midfield, but I'm not the only one wo realises how important Oakley is too the side, alot of the times we've lost has been when Oakley hasn't played. And some of the older fans, have told the young idiots about a player called John McGovern, who was very understated with his part in the team, but was still a great not only with Derby, but Forest as well, if Clough signs you twice you must be good eh?

Oakley clearly leads the team on the field, and we haven't had a captain that has actually done that for quite a while, hopefully he'll score a few more 30 yarders then maybe, certain people will give him the credit he actually deserves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2007, 19:17
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
I know, of the www.therams.co.uk forums they do talk some absoulute drivel on there, thats why I'm a dedicated xtratime man OOOOOOOO YEAAAAA

In terms of Matt Oakley, well his style is not to take about 2 or 3 players then unleash 30 yard master blaster is he, he is just your typical run-of-the-mill engine room midfielder, like a maklelele type of player. He was never that noticable at Southampton was he.. so what makes people think that he will be noticed in Derby's team!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2007, 10:55 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibril
Any team needs a Makalele type of player, and Matt Oakley is the man for you. Ironically, Ive had this debate many times with a Derby lad at my Uni, cuz he slags him off a bit too often. Im all for the fancy stuff and attacking players, but what I would give to have a man like Oakley in my team who does the dirty work. I'd like to see Derby play a couple of consecutive games without Oakley, because I think all his hard work goes unnoticed right now.
Yeah, some idiots want to play a midfield 2 of Barnes and Jones, teams will just run through that midfield with ease. The other problem is, he keeps Seth Johnson out of the team, which upsets the Seth Johnson fan club. Seth's a great lad and a good player, but his knees will never recover fully, his fitness is well short, and although he may be a bit better technically than Oakley, that role they are fighting for is too be the engine room, and Seth doesn't have an engine anymore.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2007, 13:17
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
Oakley's the engine room, he'll never get the plaudits, but he knows what his job is and so does Billy.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2007, 13:42 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkos
I know, of the www.therams.co.uk
Best thing about that mb is the smilies, some of them are awesome, like Dean Leacock as Ali G, and Lupoli as Superman, another one with Leacock with a gun, there used to be one of Darren Moore as Mr T as well

Wish we could have them on here

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old January 12th, 2007, 10:57 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibril

Jimbo, how many times has he (Oakley) been awarded Man of The Match this season? If any
er I don't think we award one...

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2007, 10:40 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yeah we don't do one, not that I'm aware of anyway, never heard any announcement during a game anyway.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2007, 17:28
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
although I don't ever get to watch matches but I think Oakley is one of those players you don't let go, hard worker. I remember him from his Premiership days
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2007, 18:18 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Oakley and Smith both had a virus today, so never made the squad, not that it mattered in the end.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in