Preston v DERBY @ Deepdale 01.01.07 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old December 31st, 2006, 12:48 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Preston v DERBY @ Deepdale 01.01.07

Well, if Davies first return too Preston wasn't big enough, we're also joint second in the league and battling out for automatic promotion just to give it a bit of extra spice

I'm not going, thought about it, but in the end couldn't be arsed with the travelling on New years Day, that and the fact I kept putting off sorting it out, and then at the ground yesterday thinking about it, I heard the announcement it was sold out So it will be another great away following, we've been awesome on the road this season, but I'll have to miss out with this one, it'll be amazing as well but oh well, the Radio will have to do.

This game won't decide anything of course, but it could go along way too deciding who gets promoted, Southampton and Stoke might have something too say about that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old December 31st, 2006, 12:51 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

After refusing to comment on the big clash against former club Preston until it was next-up on the fixture list, Rams boss Billy Davies now concedes it's a "tasty" game.

On New Year's Day, Derby County, in third place, travel to Preston, one place higher on goal difference, for the biggest game in the Championship. "With the amount of preparation that had gone in at Preston sa club and group of playres over the past numbr of years at the start of this season they had a ready-made side and I expected them to be where they are," Billy told RamsWorld after Saturday's 1-0 home win over Plymouth.

"But for us to be sitting there with the same number of points at the top of the table is remarkable. I'm looking forward to it - it's the type of game you have to enjoy. I'm going back proud of what I left in terms of the condition of the club when I went away and the young players who have come through.

"I'm very proud of what I achieved at Deepdale, but I'm going there as Derby County manager, looking forward to a good match and looking forward to a good reception from the Preston fans."

Billy added: "It was important we bounced back after Wolves by beating Plymouth and it makes Monday tasty. We are all looking forward to it and we will go there and cause a problem or two."

* The Rams have sold out of their allocation of tickets for the Preston game.

He had too put that dig in there, it's the one thing I'll miss tomorrow, with not being there, Preston fans pathetically hurling abuse at a manager who did so well for them. I'm not saying they shouldn't be annoyed that he left them, but i've found the way SOME of their fans have gone on too be pathetic.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old December 31st, 2006, 12:54 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Midfielder David Jones looks certain to miss the New Year's Day trip to former club Preston after picking up a groin injury in Saturday's 1-0 victory over Plymouth Argyle.

On loan from Manchester United with a view to a permanent move to Derby County, Jones played a starring role at Deepdale last season during a loan spell with Preston.

Rams boss Billy Davies said injury was the reason Jones was withdrawn at half-time on Saturday, adding: "Unfortunately he will now miss the next game or so.

"On the plus side, Bob Malcolm got some much needed match practice. I was concerned when Marc Edworthy went down in the second half, but thankfully he's okay and I was delighted to pick up a difficult three points.

Oh bollocks, if we have a straight swap for Seth, a midfield 3 of him Oakley and Malcolm is far too defence minded for me, maybe Barnes of Bisgaard will be moved central.

Hopefully Jones won't be out for long he's getting better all the time, and we missed him when he went off at half time against Plymouth.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old December 31st, 2006, 13:27
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
Yes a very big game, think it will be a tight game as well, not too much open football being played, being the away team as long as we don't lose it will be a good result for us.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old December 31st, 2006, 14:33
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
What a game!!!, I don't even think Shakespeare couldn't have even written a script like this

I mean the sub-plots to this game, are mammoth.. First we have the infamous play-off defeat to Preston in the 2005, which still come back to annoy most derby fans, with the injurys to Idiakez and Rasiak from the first leg ( I actually still maintain that we might have go to the final, if those 2 had been playing in that first leg )

Now of course, the return of Billy Davies to Deepdale... I mean I can't wait to hear what kinda of reaction he will get of the Preston fans. I did have to laugh at his radio interview where he said, he will be expecting a glorious reception of the fans, I somehow doubt that because football fans can be the fickle sort at times, soo will make this a very interesting game

Ohhhh its gonna be awesome, lets hope Im actually out of bed at that time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im gonna tip for a 1-1 draw as well, Howard getting a backpost header!!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old December 31st, 2006, 18:41 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Billy was being sarcastic, he knows the stick Preston fans have been giving him, and has already said his piece on that and now just makes a joke of it.

the 2005 play off final, well it was a bit of a disaster for us, I know a Preston fan from another board, and he was not at all confident going into those games but the Rasiak and Idiakez injuries and the Camp howler for their 2nd goal, but most annoying to me was the complete tactical blunder from Burley playing Taylor instead of Bolder, Taylor was shocking and Eddie Lewis ran rings rounf him, when Bolder came on he marked Lewis out of the game, but the damage was already done....and we won't even go into the penalty miss.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old January 1st, 2007, 17:04
Premier Player

An excellent 2-1 win,congratulations
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old January 1st, 2007, 17:18
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
nice win, what makes it better is teams like Southampton, Cardiff, Birmingham and WBA did not win
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old January 1st, 2007, 17:18 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUCKINGGGG YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Brilliant result, absolutely brilliant. We've not wo there in 30 odd years, their on a 31 game unbeaten home run, and we go and pull a massive 3 points out of the bag. Howard with the 2 goals, but Stead also deserves praise worked his socks off and won the penalty. Jones who made a remarkable recovery again wa amazing, Bisgaard played well, the defence was rock solid again. matched last seasons point total already, now everyone must believe we can go up.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old January 1st, 2007, 17:19 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

The top 6

1 Birmingham 27 8 4 1 24 12 8 1 5 22 14 +20 53
2 Derby County 27 7 3 3 16 11 8 2 4 20 17 +8 50
3 Preston 27 9 4 1 24 8 4 4 5 16 20 +12 47
4 Southampton 27 8 4 1 19 9 4 5 5 25 23 +12 45
5 WBA 27 10 2 1 32 10 2 5 7 16 21 +17 43
6 Colchester 27 11 0 2 34 11 2 4 8 11 19 +15 43

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old January 1st, 2007, 17:21
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
it is great that Derby are starting to distance themselves from the other teams in the playoffs. Now only three points behind Birmingham but we should concentrate on getting some breathing room in the top two. Colchester has surprised this season
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old January 1st, 2007, 17:25 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yeah I'm still looking back rather than up towards Brum, Preston have lost 4 of the last 6 though, which is a good sign.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old January 1st, 2007, 18:49
International

Teams: 1.FC Nürnberg, 1.FCN reserves, QPR, P.F.C
What an important win for you lot. Congrats! A win at the direct competitos home.

Still a long way for you, but I think the chances to see you in the Prem next year have received a big boost today.

GLUBB

"Unsre Liebe unser Leiden unser ganzer Stolz bist du! Wir werden niemals untergehn wir werden immer zu dir stehn unsre Fahnen sie wehen auch wenn du mal verlierst, allez allez, Nürnberg allez......"
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old January 1st, 2007, 19:30
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
I think along from where Jimbo started

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS COME ON YOU FUOKING RAMSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an absolutley awesome result!!!!, by the the most important win all season.. to go to Preston and to pick up all 3 points is just unbelieveble!! I am quite literally speechless on just the impact of this win will have on everything... Surely now we are marching on here up to the Premiership!!!!!!!!

I mean the doubters must be starting to think ,that we can promoted this year, I told Jimbo that 2007 was the year the Rams will get promoted back the Premiership, lets just hope I'm right!!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old January 1st, 2007, 19:54
World Class Player

Teams: Arsenal,AZ ALKMAAR,MIlan
Well done you guys but i can't see you Jimbo getting that 20 pound with Lupoli not playing why is he on the bench.

Kelly Brook The sexiest woman in the world.

And one day my future girlfreind

My twitter is Darren800 you find me there now
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old January 1st, 2007, 20:04
International

Teams: 1.FC Nürnberg, 1.FCN reserves, QPR, P.F.C
I'm pretty sure that jimbo doesn't care about that if Derby promotes this year.

GLUBB

"Unsre Liebe unser Leiden unser ganzer Stolz bist du! Wir werden niemals untergehn wir werden immer zu dir stehn unsre Fahnen sie wehen auch wenn du mal verlierst, allez allez, Nürnberg allez......"
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old January 1st, 2007, 21:22
International

nice win against your promotion rivals, now just 3 points off lead. Also shows the good thing about the championship this year - its so unpredictable, like at 1 point it seemed that cardiff were ready to walk off with the title, now they have dropped 10 points behind leaders
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:52 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrules
Well done you guys but i can't see you Jimbo getting that 20 pound with Lupoli not playing why is he on the bench.
I've almost already given up on it.

Stead never stops running, and is actually very good in the tackle for a striker, he holds the ball up well, and his lankyness is a big advantage from set pieces.

Lupoli is by far the better player, and always looks more dangerous on the ball, but it weakens the side as a defensive unit, and that's what is bringing us success, everyone starting with Steve Howard up front, puts in 100% and battles, because on paper apart from Dean Leacock (who has been awesome) it's basically the same defence which was a shambles last season.

Hopefully we can get some new defenders, who will be really solid and we can look too attack teams more, especially at home.

Steads gone back too Sunderland now though, so we'll have too see what happens now.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:53 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Johnson
nice win against your promotion rivals, now just 3 points off lead. Also shows the good thing about the championship this year - its so unpredictable, like at 1 point it seemed that cardiff were ready to walk off with the title, now they have dropped 10 points behind leaders

I always said they wouldn't last, as soon as Chopra stopped scoring, they can't win a game, Southampton are the team too watch.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:58
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
Congrats on another excellent win.

XT Italian Prediction League Winner 2012
XT Serie A Fantasy League Honours
Xt Coppa Italia: 2009/10
XT Supercoppa Italiana: 2010, 2012

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in