LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old December 18th, 2006, 12:24 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
The Mid Season review

Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts

2 Derby County 23 13 4 6 33 25 +8 43

Well that's how it stands at the half way point, quite remarkable really. I had hopes of a brilliant 2nd half of the season once everyone had settled in and maybe sneak in the play offs. Too be 2nd at the half way point is unbelieveable. And we are yet too see the full potential of the team either, we've got a lot of good young playes who are still finding their feet, also their is cash too spend in the transfer market too strengthen even more, Luke Varney from Crewe and Tyrone Mears from West Ham are the two being linked the most at the minute. Davies work in the transfer market so far has been unbelieveably good, with the exception of Mo Camara, but you can't get them all right.

A repeat of the 1st half and 86 points will do me, wasn't enough for automatic promotion last year, but I think it will be this year, the leagues alot closer this time.

The next 4 games before the transfer window are big ones, if we can keep in 2nd that will be massive, as we then go too add to the squad, only Brum and West Brom can compete and probably have more money than us, I don't think the rest can, and if we're occupying one of the top 2 spots it gives players all the more reason too come and sign for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old December 18th, 2006, 13:17
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
well I certainly was not expecting this great of a season, but its good to see the team sign some quality players in the summer and bring in good players on loan for a change. I like the fact Derby are starting to distance themselves even from the teams fighting for playoff spots, although we hope we don't lose another match that is unlikely but the margain for error is not as thin.

But there is still a long way to go for Derby, not totally confident yet but I just hope that at the end of the season Derby has a chance to go to the Premiership, whether its the playoffs or automatic promotion
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old December 18th, 2006, 13:28
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
It's been quite amazing. The season started off as might be expected a few draws, the odd win and odd defeat. I think Barnes last minute equaliser against Cardiff really turned the season around and gave everyone confidence, Cardiff we're looking like they we're running away with the league at that point, and that seemed a great point. We're now 4 points ahead of them. Since then in 9 games we've won 8 and lost only 1 conceeding only 5 goals, that is a very impressive run bu anybodies standards.

We had the 6 game winning streak, we're currently ona 2 game won, I remember Davies saying you need to have 3 big winning streaks too go up, we've had one, hopefully we're on our 2nd and we can find the 3rd in the new year.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old December 18th, 2006, 15:29 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yeah Barnes goal at Cardiff was definately a big moment, the win at Leeds last week was another, everyone wondered how we would react too the West Brom defeat, and that win got people looking past the play offs and really starting too look for the top 2 spots.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2006, 17:45
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
Here we are on the 21st December, and Derby are 2nd in the league, Yehhh thats right 2nd!!!!

After a summer of much needed change at Derby County, with a new board taking control, a new manager bought in with Billy Davies people would obviosly expect a season of consilidation, and mid table mederiocty, perhaps finishing in the top half of the league... But what has happened in the first half is nothing short of an unbelieveble turnaround

Firstly the board must take some credit, as they have stablised the club, so we are not a selling club anymore and can finance our deals to suit the club and not some creditors sitting in the Canary Islands or whereever?.. Also appointing Billy Davies, was a master stroke by the board because it looked liked Preston would be reluctant to let him go but once Preston had failed again to gain promotion, Davies obviously wanted a new challenge and a move away from the club

What Billy Davies has done, is just simply tremendous, he has completley changed the playing staff, with only a few players remaining here from last years squad. The signings Davies has made have payed off for us in the whole, you could argue from Camara but all managers can't make good signings all the time can they. Davies has also instilled a winning confidence into the team, which has been evident in many games this season.. Especially at Sheffield Wednesday away at Hillsborough ( which had the had best atmosphere I have ever been in ) 1-0 down, with Giles Barnes being sent off, realli no chance of getting a result from the game....... last minute Howard scores the winning goal, I mean just tremendous

I would argue, that we have derserved our 2nd place as well, not many teams have outplayed us this season at all but on the other hand, we havn't really punished many teams either, hopefully this will change next year!!

my words of wisdom, is hope the form keeps going!!!!!!!!, don't stop now lads, this is a golden opportunity to get back to the Promise Land aka The Premiership
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:11 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkos

my words of wisdom, is hope the form keeps going!!!!!!!!, don't stop now lads, this is a golden opportunity to get back to the Promise Land aka The Premiership
Yeah, a it's now or never attitude is needed IMO, we need to do everything we can too go up this season, after the great play off season with Burley everyone was saying this is just the start of rebuilding and we can challenge better the next season, but we know what happened there don't we, of course we're in a stronger position off the field now, but that stability doesn't guarantee promotion will come.

Another thing that makes me laugh is when people talk about not being good enough to stay up, and we need some better premiership quality players in certain areas, and we need to get them before we can go up.

You can't get these players too sign for you when your in the Championship, you have too get yourself up then, you can get the better players...bloody idiots. Just look at the money that's being splashed out in the Championship, just imagine what funds the board will find with the extra revenue the Premiership brings

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2006, 10:58
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
Yeah, you can't really build a Premiership side in the Championship can you, though I think we've got a few players who are good enough too make the step up, there's also a few players who have been there before of course like Oakley, Seth Johnson.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2006, 17:06
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
Yeahh I agree there, you have to build your squads in the summer, because thats when your money comes in to play and all that!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in