November Manager & Player of the Month - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2006, 10:08 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
November Manager & Player of the Month

Rams manager Billy Davies and striker Jon Stead are in the running for November's Coca-Cola Championship awards.

Striker Stead netted in three successive matches and grew in confidence and stature game by game as he continues to settle in to his loan spell from Sunderland, and is up for the player of the month award.

The 23-year-old's goals came in wins over Coventry City, Luton Town and Leicester City.

He is bidding to become the first Derby player to claim the prize since midfielder Inigo Idiakez, now with Southampton, was honoured for his performances in March this year.

Stead is up against Colchester United striker Chris Iwelumo, Norwich City front-man Robert Earnshaw, and Stoke City midfielder Darel Russell.

Gaffer Davies is up for the manager of the month prize after guiding his Rams to a 100 per cent record of six wins from six games during November.

The run of four home victories and two on the road took Derby up to fourth in the table as the halfway point of the season approached.

The other contenders are Stoke's Tony Pulis, whose side won five from five without conceding a goal, Preston North End's Paul Simpson, who guided the Lilywhites to an unbeaten month of two wins and three draws, and former Derby boss George Burley, who oversaw Southampton's four wins and two draws from six games.

If successful, Davies will be picking up the award exactly ten years after the last Rams boss to do so - Jim Smith, in November 1996, with Derby in the Premiership.

Interestingly, three of the League 2 contenders are former Rams players - Bristol Rovers' Paul Trollope, Darlington's David Penney, and Walsall's Richard Money, who appeared six times during a loan spell in 1981/82.

The fourth, Peterborough United's Keith Alexander, has experienced football management in Derbyshire during his days at non-league Ilkeston Town.

The recipient of the manager of the month award will be named on Thursday with the player of the month prize to be announced on Sunday, and we'll have news here at www.dcfc.co.uk of how Jon Stead and Billy Davies fare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2006, 10:10 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Didn't realise how well Stoke had actually done in the moneth, so it's not a guarantee Davies will get it, we don't want the jinx anyway give it Pulis.

Would be good if Stead got player of the Month, 1st Derby player too get it, in a long time who actually deserved it, no-one could understand why Idiakez got it back in March, he wouldn't have been named in the top 3 Derby players of the month, that month.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2006, 15:12 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Derby boss Billy Davies is the Coca-Cola Championship manager of the month for November.

Davies was announced as the top man by Chris Kamara on Sky Sports News at lunchtime today - making him the first Rams boss to win the award since Jim Smith exactly a decade ago.

His side won all six of their matches during November to lift themselves up to fourth in the Championship.

Davies told www.dcfc.co.uk: "It is obviously a great achievement and honour but as far as I'm concerned I am picking it up on behalf of the players and staff at Derby County.

"It is a great thing to get, especially with the run we have been on.

"To get it in such a short space of time when we are trying to rebuild and do what we're doing is excellent.

"We are delighted to have it, we are delighted to have gone on the run we have done, but we also know that there is a long way to go and a lot of hard work to be done.

"I won three at Motherwell and two at Preston so I am very proud and delighted to pick up one at Derby County, especially so early on.

"I am very proud of the players and the staff for all of the hard work they have put in - it is down to them as far as I am concerned."

Davies was up against Preston North End's Paul Simpson, Stoke City's Tony Pulis and Southampton's George Burley.

And there could be a second award heading to Pride Park with Jon Stead in the running for the player of the month prize.

On-loan striker Stead scored in three successive games during November and is in contention for the honour with Stoke's Darel Russell, Colchester United's Chris Iwelumo and Norwich City's Robert Earnshaw.

The winner of that prize will be announced on Sunday and we'll have news here at www.dcfc.co.uk of how Stead fares.

Well done Billy, the first of many I hope

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2006, 18:15
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
I think to be fair, you had to give it to Davies because I think it was Chris Kamara said, no team in the country has a better record at the moment than Derby, which says a lot. Even your big boys in the Premiership can't even manage your 6 wins on the trot!!!

Keep it though Billy, If he could win a few more, than the Premiership might be in our sights!!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2006, 11:18
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
Congratulations Billy
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2006, 15:11 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Two Rams stars have made the Coca-Cola Championship Actim Team of the Month for November after outshining the division in their respective positions.

Goalkeeper Stephen Bywater was the number one shot-stopper for the month after keeping two clean sheets and conceding just four goals in six games - all of which Derby won.

The 25-year-old scored 103 Actim points in November.

His team-mate Giles Barnes makes the XI after netting the second-highest points total of any Championship midfielder.

The 18-year-old totalled 131, just a solitary point behind Stoke City's on-loan star Lee Hendrie, thanks to a month that included three goals.

Ex-Derby defender Danny Higginbotham is also included for the second successive month.

The full team is:

Stephen Bywater (Derby County)

Gareth Bale (Southampton)
Danny Higginbotham (Stoke City)
Chris Baird (Southampton)
Radhi Jaidi (Birmingham City)

Lee Hendrie (Stoke City)
Giles Barnes (Derby County)
Jimmy Smith (Queens Park Rangers)
Darel Russell (Stoke City)

Chris Iwelumo (Colchester United)
Nicklas Bendtner (Birmingham City)

The Actim Team of the Month has been compiled by calculating the highest-ranked players in November from each position in the Actim Index - the official player ratings of the Coca-Cola Championship.

Players are ranked using Actim stats according to their performance, both by position and overall

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old February 6th, 2007, 12:04 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Derby County boss Billy Davies is again in the running for the manager of the month award.

Davies picked up the prize in November after collecting a maximum 18 points from six consecutive Championship victories.

Derby also won all six of their matches in January - four in the League and two in the FA Cup - to open up a six-point lead at the top of the table and reach the last 16 of the Cup.

They won at Preston and Southend, and beat Sheffield Wednesday and Burnley at Pride Park. The Cup wins came against Wrexham and Bristol Rovers.

His rivals on the shortlist for the award are Roy Keane of Sunderland, Southend's Steve Tilson and Tony Mowbray of West Bromwich Albion.

Sunderland won three and drew one of their four League fixtures in January, and lost to Preston in the Cup.

Southend hauled themselves off the bottom of the table by winning three league games, all against teams in the top six. They beat West Brom at Roots Halls, and won at Cardiff and Birmingham City.

Their one League defeat during the month was at home to Derby.

West Brom took nine points from 12 with wins over Luton, Leeds and Plymouth and added Cup wins against Leeds and Wolves.

Davies is still planning to seek a personal hearing after being sent to the stand at Southend last month.

He has been charged with using "abusive and/or insulting words towards a match official."

Meanwhile, Derby are considering having a reserve team again next season.

The club's previous board pulled the reserves out of the Premier Reserve League on the eve of the 2005/06 season.

But Davies has mentioned the possibility of starting up a team again and managing director Mike Horton said: "We were a bit disappionted we did not inherit a reserve side.

"We decided not to do it this season because we did not have enough players but we agree that, all being well, we would like to have a Reserve team again."

Give it Steve Tilson!!!!

We all know what happens when your manager gets manager of the month, just what happened this time, you go and bloody lose.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old February 7th, 2007, 09:38
Premier Player

yeah, maybe Tilson ill get it, i's been just as good what he's done given his circumstances,only lost too us last month i think.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old February 7th, 2007, 10:56 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Steve Howard is also in the running for player of the month

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old February 7th, 2007, 12:47
Premier Player

I know the curse for the manager of the month award, but lets be honest here, we have won 8 games in a row here and been on fire, surely Billy Davies should win it.... Unless they try and spread it around the league to give other managers recongnition as well!!!!!!!!
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old February 7th, 2007, 14:02 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

I think Tilson is as good a shout, it's only the 4 league games that count, and they won 3 and lost 1, and look at the games they had, West Brom and Derby at home, Birmingham and Cardiff away, it's unbelieveable that they got 9 points out of that.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old February 8th, 2007, 12:33 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Billy confirmed as Manager of the Month for the 2nd time this season

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old February 8th, 2007, 18:49
Premier Player

Well done Billy Davies!!!!, Best manager in the Championship!!!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old February 10th, 2007, 10:53
Premier Player

Well done Billy, hopefully there will be a manager of the season award in May
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old February 10th, 2007, 11:04 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

If we won the league he'd be certain to get it, so yeah, let's hope

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2007, 11:37 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Rams boss Billy Davies is in the running for his third Coca-Cola Manager of the Month award this season.

Davies has been nominated for the March prize after a month in which Derby returned to the top of the table on the back of four wins and a draw from their six matches.

Excellent home wins over play-off chasing Colchester United and Cardiff City, along with away victories at Norwich City and Barnsley, helped move Davies's side back into pole position.

It would be a third such honour this season for the Scotsman, who also picked it up after perfect sequences of six wins from six in November and January.

Davies is up against Sunderland boss Roy Keane, whose side won four and drew the other of their five matches; Coventry City's Iain Dowie, with three wins and a draw from four; and Sheffield Wednesday's Brian Laws, following three wins and three draws from six outings.

The winner of the award will be announced at 12.30pm on Thursday, on Sky Sports News.

And it could be a double for the Rams with Giles Barnes also nominated for the Powerade Player of the Month prize.

Barnes, 18, was outstanding in Derby's midfield with crucial goals in the wins over Colchester and Cardiff, as well as a number of assists.

Also in contention are Sunderland's Dean Whitehead, Sheffield Wednesday's Chris Brunt and Coventry's Jay Tabb.

The winner of the player of the month award will be announced on Sunday, on Sky Sports 1.

Davies going for his 3rd of the season, what an achievement that would be, and Barnes for player of the month, would be our 1st of the season.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2007, 15:14
Premier Player

Well surely Davies has got to win this award, the only other contender surely is Roy Keane, after going like 14 games unbeaten!!!!

To be fair, I would be very surprised if Barnes doesn't win this award either, he has been playing almighty well this month!!, and really has played consistently well throughout March!
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2007, 19:10 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teenager Giles Barnes has been named as the Powerade Coca-Cola Championship Player of the Month for March.

The Academy product enjoyed an outstanding month as Derby kept themselves right in the hunt for automatic promotion to the Premiership with four wins and a draw from six games.

Barnes was revealed as the division's top man on Sunday after Coca-Cola Football League ambasador Chris Kamara picked him out as the star performer.

The 18-year-old netted in the opening game of the month, a 5-1 win over Colchester United, and he also had a hand in three other goals that night.

He took his season's tally to eight goals with an excellent solo effort in the 3-1 win over Cardiff City and a number of outstanding performances saw him selected as the top man.

Barnes will be presented with his prize on Tuesday - we'll have pictures and more here at www.dcfc.co.uk.

surely got to put another million on the price tag

Keane got the managers award.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old April 9th, 2007, 10:28
Premier Player

Well done Giles, bet it's been a while since we had a player of the month...
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old April 9th, 2007, 10:44 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Did Idiakez ever win one?? If not then I have no idea

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in