DERBY v Birmingham @ PPS 21.10.06 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old October 19th, 2006, 12:51 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
DERBY v Birmingham @ PPS 21.10.06

The first of a run of big games that will really show what we're capable of. Following this it's Cardiff away next saturday (which I've already got my ticket for) Then West Bromat home the following saturday, with a home match with Barnsley between the two.

If we can get a good haul of points (6 or more would be nice) we will really be flying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old October 19th, 2006, 12:52 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

News is Brum have only sold 2000 tickets, quite disappointing really, we're only up the road, there just coming from the Prem, and it's there first real visit to Pride Park, you'd have thought they could have done better than yet, oh well.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old October 19th, 2006, 13:15
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
I think we'll get a draw here, which would still be a good result, 1-1, Stead getting his first Derby goal.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old October 19th, 2006, 13:17 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Bruce is under pressure, alot of talk about his job being on the line, and if we beat them on saturday he could be in for the sack, now that would be sweet

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old October 19th, 2006, 13:48
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
This could be an interesting game for all sorts of reason, I think you could class this as our first real test of the season, playing against one of the bigger teams of this league!!!..... Also on the upside, if we win the game it will take us up into those coverted play-off postions, which may give a lot of supporters confidence that we could get in there

It's also a big game for Birmingham as well because there is talk of Bruce losing his job if they fail to get a result here... so it really puts pressure on him to get a result at the weekend
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old October 19th, 2006, 14:10
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
This should be a good game. I predict 2-2... Lupoli and Stead for Derby.

XT Italian Prediction League Winner 2012
XT Serie A Fantasy League Honours
Xt Coppa Italia: 2009/10
XT Supercoppa Italiana: 2010, 2012
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2006, 10:30 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Derby: The Rams' biggest injury concerns are Bob Malcolm and Dean Leacock.

Midfielder Malcolm sat out the 2-1 win at Queens Park Rangers on Tuesday night with an ankle injury and further news on the extent of his problem is awaited.

Centre-half Leacock was back in the team after a groin problem but picked up a nasty bang to the head late in the game and was taken to hospital.

He was released after examination but he is due to see a doctor on Thursday to assess his fitness for the weekend.

Birmingham: First-teamers Stephen Clemence, Martin Taylor and Julian Gray all made comebacks for the reserves on Wednesday and will all be hoping to stake a claim for a Pride Park place.

Also available is midfielder Damien Johnson, who has completed a three-game suspension, while Danish striker Nicklas Bendtner is expected to come into contention after a knee injury. Mikael Forsell has had his own knee problems and missed the defeat by Norwich on Tuesday night.

THE REFEREE

Uriah Rennie's season so far has seen him oversee games in the Premiership at places like Manchester City and Blackburn Rovers, as well as League 2 venues such as Wrexham and Chester City.

The Sheffield official is well-known to Derby fans having taken charge of the first-ever league game at Pride Park, against Wimbledon in August 1997 - when the floodlights famously failed.

Rennie's last Rams assignment came on November 15 2003 when he presided over a 2-0 home win against Burnley.

This season he has issued 38 yellow cards and two reds in his 11 games.

F**king Rennie

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2006, 10:34 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Can't wait for tomorrow, it was the first fixture I looked for when they came out in the summer. I've never known us too play Brum, apart from in that freindly, the last time we did was the promotion season, and I wasn't going to games back then.

And of course with some of the family coming from down that way (though all Villa fans) it should be an interesting one.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2006, 11:02
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
Yes, we missed them when we came down of course. Another Midlands derby as well this one, a lot was made of them at the start of the season, but we haven't had one for a while, but this the first of a run of them, it's West Brom, Coventry and Leicester next month.

They said Midlands team who do well in these will probably be up there at the end, well we've won one and lost one, both away games.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2006, 11:43
Star Player

cmon the draw. Bruce needs to stay in a job, the two Davids deserve him
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2006, 15:09 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Neil
Yes, we missed them when we came down of course. Another Midlands derby as well this one, a lot was made of them at the start of the season, but we haven't had one for a while, but this the first of a run of them, it's West Brom, Coventry and Leicester next month.

They said Midlands team who do well in these will probably be up there at the end, well we've won one and lost one, both away games.
Ah yes, forgot about that, it was all the talk at the start of the season wasn't it. The first home one for us, which should see a bigger crowd than the 22,000 which has been the standard gate for us this season, excluding the Sunderland one, though I've already said that they could be bringing a slightly disappointing following, even if still bigger than most, unless they bring a load down for pay on the gate.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2006, 15:10 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Former strike partners Arturo Lupoli and Nicklas Bendtner will look to out-gun each other when Derby County face Birmingham City tomorrow.

The two Arsenal youngsters are enjoying loan spells in the Championship and have been among the goals.

Lupoli is the Rams' top scorer on six and Bendtner is leading the way for Birmingham on five, though he has missed the last two matches.

He suffered a knee injury during Denmark's Euro 2008 qualifier against Northern Ireland but could return for the Pride Park clash.

Lupoli (19) and Bendtner, a year younger, formed a two-man goal machine for Arsenal Reserves in the past two seasons.

"We played together for almost two years and scored a lot of goals," said Lupoli. "He's a great player and he's scoring goals for Birmingham.

"They lost on Tuesday, so I think they will come to Pride Park looking for three points and so we will have to watch Nicklas.

"He's a big lad. He can head the ball very well but he has great skills with his feet as well. He is a complete striker."

At 6ft 3in, Bendtner towers over 5ft 8in Lupoli but both are making a big impact.

Bendtner is fully aware of the threat Lupoli poses to Birmingham, who have gone five League matches without a win to leave under pressure manager Steve Bruce fighting to keep hold of his job.

"Arturo is definitely a finisher," said Bendtner.

"You don't want to give him two chances in a game because he will certainly take one of them.

"Every game we played together for Arsenal Reserves one of us scored.

"He's very sharp with his runs and can dart in behind defenders and he's a natural finisher.

"For Arsenal, mostly it was me dropping deep and Arturo making the runs off defenders.

"It was more me setting him up then the other way round but every time I got the ball he knew where and when to make the best run."

Lupoli and Bendtner have a friendly scoring competition on the go, with Lupoli currently winning by one goal.

"I have six and Nicklas has five," said Lupoli. "Hopefully, I can score on Saturday and he doesn't, so I will be further ahead, and hopefully we will win the game."

Bendtner said: "I've scored a few goals but I'm more concerned about the team itself. We need to start winning again."

Lupoli is on a season-long loan at Derby and Bendtner's stay at Birmingham runs until the end of the campaign unless Arsenal want him back in January.

Lupoli will show who is the man

Mixed feelings on Bendtner's possible return, obviously he will be a danger for us, but I want too see him play, and want to see the match up with Lupoli...though he'll probably get dropped for Stead now

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2006, 17:27
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
I cant see Lupoli getting dropped if as you say he has been playing well. As Bendtner said Lupoli was the guy who made the runs off defenders to try and score which is why now I am quite surprised it is Lupoli who is your creative force, but obviously he has the technical talent to do so.

XT Italian Prediction League Winner 2012
XT Serie A Fantasy League Honours
Xt Coppa Italia: 2009/10
XT Supercoppa Italiana: 2010, 2012
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2006, 11:41 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Right then, prediction time. I can see some goals in this one, I'm going for a 2-2 draw, but I do think we can win the game if we defend well.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2006, 11:43 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Steve Bruce will look to alleviate the growing pressure on his job as Birmingham travel to Derby County during a busy weekend of Championship action.

The Blues have slipped to ninth in the table after being tipped as likely champions, and need a positive result against Billy Davies' Rams.

Derby County v Birmingham City (Home 6/4 Draw 11/5 Away 6/4)

Birmingham could be boosted by the return of Nicklas Bendtner after the on-loan Arsenal striker recovered from a knee problem and Northern Ireland midfielder Damien Johnson returns from suspension to help Bruce fight for his job.

Stephen Clemence could also return from the ankle injury which has kept him sidelined since August, but Neil Kilkenny misses out due to a similar problem as Matthew Upson remains unavailable due to a ruptured Achilles.

Derby boss Davies will consult his medical staff before kick-off to ascertain whether defender Dean Leacock can play after suffering concussion, but former Blues striker Paul Peschisolido is definitely ruled out with a thigh problem.

Bob Malcolm is rated as doubtful due to an ankle injury but Giles Barnes returns from suspension to boost The Rams.

Skysports.com prediction: 1-1

Alot of people going for the draw...

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2006, 14:23
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
say what you want, but I don't think Derby will win this one, it would be great to get the win but I think BCFC will win 2:0
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2006, 19:07 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Should have been 0-0, really boring game, and the flukeiest goal I've ever seen, shot from about 30 yards out deflected, think Grant touched it onto the post, then it came out hit grant on the back and went in, clear own goal, can't believe Clemence has been credited with it.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 03:05
Premier Player

Teams: Nottingham Forest, Roma,Italy
:smileani: :smileani: :smileani: :smileani: :smileani:

"John Robertson was a very unattractive young man. If, one day, I was feeling a bit off colour, I would sit next to him. I was bloody Errol Flynn compared to him, but give him a yard of grass and he was an artist. The Picasso of our game"

Brian Clough
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 11:39 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

It was a game of two halves for manager Billy Davies, who continues to be frustrated with his side's performances at Pride Park Stadium.

"The first half was disappointing - we didn't pass and again we didn't play in our home environment," Billy told RamsWorld after the 1-0 defeat. "We have to handle that better.

"We improved in the second half but they got a deflected goal and there was nothing we could do about that. Sometimes sides need a bit of luck like that.

"To be honest I was expecting we would be leggy after our travels. Birmingham were able to make around six changes today - you need that depth of squad and the ability to bring in quality. We played with great energy after the break, but it wasn't enough."

Billy said it had been a blow to have lost skipper Matt Oakley to a "silly" training injury. Matt, Paul Peschisolido and Dean Leacock had all been missed.

"Ideally we needed to freshen it up today for our third game in six days, because I was asking a lot of certain players, but I couldn't fault our work ethic in the second half," Billy added. "We hit the post, but from our possesion they went up the other end and got the break that counted.

"At that stage we were well on top and there was more of a crispness about our passing. They were looking to hit us on the break and to be fair they moved well. You could see they are used to playing at a certain level. The depth of quality in their squad was the difference.

"I need to add to the squad to gve us the quality we need at home, but as long as my players give me effort that's all I can ask - we certainly deserved more today. It's important we get some rest now. At the end of the game I saw our fans applauding our efforts, which was nice to see.

"The most important thing is to get the injured players back into the squad."

Summed up well by Billy there,away from home we create chance after chance,at home we create very few clear chances. The fans need to get behind the team more, it was very quiet yesterday, and when the crows is loud e.g big games you can tell the diference in the players.

And I've said all along we're still a bit short, it all depends on who else Davies can bring in, loan or in January, as too whether we really can push on for a play off spot.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 11:49 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Oh and I can't forget that, once again Seth Johnson was amazing, looking more like the old Seth, ran the show from midfield, with the help of Bisgaard who also had a great game.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in