DERBY v Sunderland (@ PPS 9.9.06) - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2006, 09:04 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
DERBY v Sunderland (@ PPS 9.9.06)

Can't wait for this game too come round, because it's going to be nothing but doom and gloom all we long, just because we sold a free kick, and a decent winger, who haven't even performed 45 minutes of good football between them this season

If we lose this game, I fear a mass suicide in the terraces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2006, 09:05 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Derby County Chairman Peter Gadsby has paid tribute to former Rams owner Lionel Pickering, who died on Saturday morning aged 74.

"This comes as very sad news for Derby County Football Club and its supporters and our first thoughts are with Lionel's family and close friends," said Peter (pictured below), who served as a Vice-Chairman during Lionel's time with the club.

Peter Gadsby"One of the first things this board did on taking over the club last spring was approach Lionel with a view to creating some permanent recognition of his very considerable commitment to the club, most especially the move to Pride Park under his leadership.

"This is something the club's directors will be discussing in the immediate future in consultation with his family.

"Like many fans Lionel felt a powerful emotional commitment to the Baseball Ground and was initially reluctant to leave but he was far-sighted enough to understand the need to move to Pride Park and provide some of the best facilities in the English game. It is a move which has been an enormous success and Lionel's personal reward came when the stadium was officially opened by the Queen. He told me at the time that it was the finest and proudest day of both his and his wife Marcia's life.

"Lionel was a maverick who put his money where his heart was and the fact that his chairmanship ended unhappily should not disguise the fact that he had overseen a period of huge achievement both on and off the field.

"He could be a tough man to deal with and a tenacious opponent in business but he was above all a fan who loved this club and had an especially close affinity with its former players.

"Most people who knew Lionel could tell you of having at least one pretty fierce argument with him - but they would also tell you of a great number of terrific nights in his company, many of them after matches at Pride Park.

"Lionel played a major part in an important stage of the club's history and we will hold a minute's silence in his memory before the next home game against Sunderland"

RIP Lionel, talk the club back to the big time, and was responsible for taking the club forward off the field with Pride Park and the great training facilities, shame his era in charge ended on a sour note really.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2006, 14:11
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
Yeah, Lionel Pickering certaintly made us a "big" club again by taking us back to the Premiership, and keeping us there for a 6 year period. His impact on Derby County will never be forgottan!!!!!

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2006, 18:48 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Big talk of the moment is too have a stand or at least a corner after Pickering, he gave us the ground so it's only right, there's lasting memory of him there, will be interesting too see what they decide to do.

Back on the subject of the game, you always hope the players will put on a good performance and show that extra bit of fight and spirit, when a big name from the past passes on, never happens with Derby though, like When Cloughie died, drew with Coventry in a very dull game.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2006, 19:33
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
Yes. he brought us some good times, it will be fitting to have some sort of memory of him at the stadium.

RIP Lionel
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2006, 02:08
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
RIP Lionel, a win would be nice for him
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2006, 10:17 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Right then, another match thread another guess the team

Not sure whether Moore, Jackson and Oakley would be fit yet, but asuming they are...

Bywater

Edworthy - Leacock - Johnson - Camara

Barnes - Bisgaard - Seth - Smith

Howard - Lupoli

Subs

Nyatanga - Moore - Bolder - Oakley - Pescisolido

Give Leacock a chance at centre back, too see what he's actually like there, he can't do any worse than what happened at Colchester, Barnes on the right and Bisgaard down the centre, no need to rush Oaley back, as Bisgaards been doing alright.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2006, 14:42
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
We need to get a settled team soon, fair enough, Davies needed time to find it, but it's getting time where we need it found, it's not good for the team to be diferent every week.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2006, 14:52 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yeah, we can'y have put out the same starting 11 two games running yet, now the transfer windows closed, and there shouldn't be too mmany more players coming in and out, apart from loans, hopefully we can start to get a settled team.

When we finally do send out the same 11 two games running, I think then we will know what Davies thnks his best 11 is.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 12:48 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Sunderland have sold 3,600 tickets and been given another 1000 to sell, all though doom and gloom has set in with some already, if we can get a good tun out, we could beat the highest attendance of the season so far which is 26,000 and something for Sunderlad v Birmingham.

September attendances are always better than August as well, with the end of the summer hols.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 12:55 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Ten thousand cheerstix will be given away to fans as part of Derby County's forthcoming Black and White Day.

The home game against Sunderland on Saturday (September 9) has been designated a Black and White Day by boss Billy Davies, with prizes up for grabs for Rams fans who enter into the spirit of a massive home match-day occasion.

The cheerstix - large, inflatable sticks that when banged together create a loud noise - will be given away while face-painters, for black and white faces only, will be situated on the north-west and north-east corners of Pride Park Stadium.

I think I'm going to cry, fair enough have the black and white dat and face painting for the kids in the North Stand etc...but why the cheerstix, they'll just make us a laughing stock, just as it has with every club that has brought them in so far (Preston/Stoke) what's wrong with people hands, is it too much pain to clap or something

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 14:13
Premier Player

Jimbo with a cheerstix !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 14:25 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Anyone within in slapping distance of me with a cheer stick, will be geting a slap

Doubt there will be many, if any in the SE corner, most will probably be in the North Stand.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2006, 10:32
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Arsenal of course
hopefully the Wolf can bang in a hat-trick so Keane has to try out his hair dryer techniques on his first matchday.

Di Stefano - the South American Wilshere!
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2006, 10:58 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Bywater, Oakley, Moore and Jackson are all back in traing, so good news...

Welll Bywater and Oakley is good news, not sure about Moore, and they way Jackson has been playing this season, I'd rather have Edworthy playing anyday.

Really hope Bywater is fit too play though, he makes a massive diference to the back 4.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2006, 12:21 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Right then, a Prediction, I'm confident we can spoil the party, seems as everyone keeps going on about Keane and Sunderland, it's nearly getting as much attention as the Prem games, not that we get much of a mention...

2-1 win for the Rams

Howard and Lupoli will score.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2006, 13:47
Premier Player

Hmmm I've got a feeling we could be in for a real treat of a game tomorrow . There are so many plots to this game its could be one of the games of the season... It also helps that Sunderland have appeard to have sold all of their allocated tickets in the away end

I'm gonna stick my head on the line in this one, and say 3-2 to Derby, because I still think their defence is very vunreble, and especially Howard should be looking to get to the better of Kenny Cunningham in the air.

Howard (2) and Barnes to be the goalscorers for the rams!!!!!!!!!
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2006, 16:44 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yeah could be a cracker, but eveytime I get my hopes up for a game like that (Shef Wed last season) it ends up being a disappointment, so I'm not getting too excited.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2006, 17:14
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
Lupoli to score the winner in a good game. I also think 3-2 Derby.

XT Italian Prediction League Winner 2012
XT Serie A Fantasy League Honours
Xt Coppa Italia: 2009/10
XT Supercoppa Italiana: 2010, 2012
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2006, 10:59 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

They reckon over 7000 Sunderland fans are travelling down, with a couple of thousand trying to get in the home end, best get the knuckle duster polished up then

They always do this (when it's a saturday game anyway) and it only ends up one way if there's not a good atmosphere in PPS today, there won't be all season.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in