Xtratime Community banner

The bet is on...

2K views 100 replies 10 participants last post by  Durkos 
#1 ·
Right, I'm having this down in writing, so there's no forgetting and there's no denying.

Jimbo Jones has bet Durkos twenty whole pound sterling ( £20 ) that Arturo Lupoli, will score 20+ goals this season for Derby County (in all competitions) we've done the handshake, now I want it down here it writing :D

#27 ·
If he gets a long term injury the bet is null and void :stuckup: :)

#28 ·
Lupoli walked off the Layer Road pitch, with tears in his eyes, and said he was upset because we lost...the guy is my hero already :D

If some of our other players played with passion like that we'd be top of the league...

#29 ·
:howler: I just saw that thread for the first time. Exciting bet, I´m sure more and more xtratimers will look after the Derby games from now on.

#32 ·
Deserved a goal last night, but if he plays like that every week, sets up goals, and doesn't quite make the 20, I'll not be too bothered, by far his best game in a Derby shirt.

#33 ·
Just about the middle of September. I am sure that in the Championship, Lupoli will get some games where he can bag a brace or a hat-trick if Derby begin to play well.

#34 ·
To refer to them as "Little and Large" might be a bit unfair, but there's definitely a case of opposites attracting for Steve Howard and Arturo Lupoli.

One is the experienced striker who has plied his trade in English football for over a decade and has made good use of his physical presence.

The other is a diminutive teenager who grew up learning football the continental way before arriving at one of the Premiership's big guns with a reputation as an up-and-coming star.

They have been paired together in the Derby County attack this season after making their respective moves to Pride Park and already the partnership is starting to blossom.

Lupoli, on a season-long loan from Arsenal, made his first-ever league start in the game at Colchester on August 26 and responded by scoring twice.

Howard, a million-pound summer signing from Luton Town, has played every game so far this season and scored his first Rams goal in Tuesday's win at Wolves - made by his Italian colleague.

"He is the type of player you give the ball to and let him do his thing as he will create chances," said the 30-year-old.

Steve Howard. Picture by the Derby Evening Telegraph
Steve Howard. Picture by the Derby Evening Telegraph

The pair came up before the RamsWorld cameras in the run-up to Saturday's game against Preston North End and it was the perfect opportunity to see how they felt their link-up was developing.

"I think we are playing the right way now and getting much better together, so with more games we will make the partnership work," 19-year-old Lupoli revealed.

"Tuesday was very important for us because Steve scored the goal and I set it up so our confidence is growing, and I feel things are going the right way now."

The first thing Howard did after netting at Molineux was to head straight over to thank Lupoli for his run and cross.

Howard is hoping the assist will be the first of many - and he will be happy to return the favour.

"With the ability he has he will always create chances," the north-easterner revealed.

"Hopefully he will be creating some more for me and we will continue to work well together."

Lupoli, meanwhile, is in no doubt that the pair have all the required attributes for a successful union.

Arturo Lupoli. Picture by the Derby Evening Telegraph
Arturo Lupoli. Picture by the Derby Evening Telegraph

"Steve is a big man who holds the ball up well and works hard, and he is good in the air," he added.

"I am quick, I am good with the ball at my feet, I can find him in space really well and he can set the ball up for me as well.

"I think we have enough to do a great job together this season."

Lupoli assisting Howard or Howard assisting Lupoli - either way, there will be no complaints if they continue to hit it off as well as the early signs are promising.

Howards turn to set Lupoli up tomorrow ;)

#35 ·
Do his goals in cup competitions count, or are we basing this purely on his league goal scoring record!!!!!!!!

#36 ·
It would be 3 if it includes leagu and cupe goals which is is what I thought it did from the sounds of it :pp

#37 ·
I'm 100% sure I said all competitions, before the handshake took place, that's 3 down 17 to go :D

#39 ·
I don't believe this!!!!!!!!!!!, I'm starting to think the guy might actually do it, and I will look a huge prat but he's still yet to get to halfway, but im sure I was under the influence of alchohol whilst making this bet lol!!!!!!!!!!

#42 ·
saw glimpses of Lupoli on the sports channel. got to admit, he looks pretty good for the championship. someone better kick him out of the game, or he will murder all the defences in the championship.

#43 ·
bartle said:
saw glimpses of Lupoli on the sports channel. got to admit, he looks pretty good for the championship. someone better kick him out of the game, or he will murder all the defences in the championship.
:howler:

A few teams have already tried kicking him, he seems to be able to handle it :)

#44 ·
Lupoli is already a quarter the way there and its just the beginning of October. Unless he gtes injured or suffers a dip on form he should be able to reach the mark.

Lupoli has also been called to the U20 squad, and if he plays well there its his first step to being an U21 international soon.

#46 ·
jimbo jones said:
6- down 14 to go, and he's even scoring from midfield :)
I will say now that he will not score so many from midfield. Davies must get the idea out of his head that Lupoli is a wide midfielder... hes more a goal poacher than anything, although technically quite good. Play him in position and he will give you good returns.

#47 ·
Lupoli is a real quality player.. in many ways he reminds of when Leon Osman was at Derby about 3 or 4 years ago, clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the players at the club...

My Arsenal mate at uni reckons, He may be actually starting for them in the near future, which shows just the class of the player!!!, Lets hope his goals actually count for something though rather just mid-table obscurity!!

#48 ·
Dean'06Campioni said:
I will say now that he will not score so many from midfield. Davies must get the idea out of his head that Lupoli is a wide midfielder... hes more a goal poacher than anything, although technically quite good. Play him in position and he will give you good returns.
Jon Stead is a better partner for Howard I'm afraid judging from the last 2 games, if we're playing 2 up front I see it being Howard & Stead alot of the time, where he played today is good, it's a sort of wide forward role, with Howard up front on his own, meaning Lupoli dosn't have to defend.

I know he's a great finisher, but having watched him quite a few times this season, he looks so good with the ball at his feet running at people, created another goal today for Howard, his assists must almost match his goals.

#49 ·
jimbo jones said:
Jon Stead is a better partner for Howard I'm afraid judging from the last 2 games, if we're playing 2 up front I see it being Howard & Stead alot of the time, where he played today is good, it's a sort of wide forward role, with Howard up front on his own, meaning Lupoli dosn't have to defend.

I know he's a great finisher, but having watched him quite a few times this season, he looks so good with the ball at his feet running at people, created another goal today for Howard, his assists must almost match his goals.
If Lupoli plays as more or less a third striker he will not score goals, which is basically his main job description since he was 15. I think Lupoli technically is superior to most at Championship level which makes it seem he can play a creative position, but playing him not upfront takes away his main ability... which is scoring!

#50 ·
Dean'06Campioni said:
If Lupoli plays as more or less a third striker he will not score goals, which is basically his main job description since he was 15. I think Lupoli technically is superior to most at Championship level which makes it seem he can play a creative position, but playing him not upfront takes away his main ability... which is scoring!
Don't care whether he scores the goals, or someone else does (I can live without the 20 quid) What gets our team playing best is what matters to us and as for not scoring goals from out wide, 5 goals from 8 appearances most of which have been outwide, suggests otherwise.

The key for me is whether it's a wide forward role or a wide midfield role, if it's the forward role, he has the freedom to go where he wants and get in the box at every opportunity, if he's in midfield with 2 other strikers up front, that is a waste, as he gets too restricted.

I want to see him running at players, we've not had a player who's such a joy too watch with the ball since Kinkladze.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.