Westley Leaves! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2006, 10:48 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Westley Leaves!

Terry Westley has left Derby County only two months after helping to steer the club clear of relegation.

The Academy manager spent the final three months of last season as caretaker boss following the sacking of Phil Brown and played a key role in retaining the club's Championship status.

He then made it clear that he wanted the job full-time but was ruled out of the running.

Derby eventually installed Billy Davies in the manager's chair and now Westley has left. A brief statement said his departure was by mutual consent.

Managing director Mike Horton added: "Terry's impact as Academy manager speaks for itself through the young players who have broken through in recent seasons.

"He leaves an important legacy and the search begins immediately to ensure that we appoint the right replacement to continue Terry's excellent work.

"He leaves with our thanks and we certainly wish him every success in the future."

Westley was saying little last night, only: "As far as I am concerned the statement says it all.

"I'd like to thank all the players, the supporters and the press for their help and support during the past four years."

Westley was appointed Academy manager in May 2002 having worked in the youth set-ups at Ipswich and Luton Town. He also had a short spell as Luton manager and was assistant at Rushden and Diamonds.

His contribution in moving the Academy forward and in the development of young players such as Lewin Nyatanga and Giles Barnes was highly significant.

Both Nyatanga and Barnes became first team regulars last season and are youngsters of real promise.

When heavy defeats at Coventry and Colchester brought Brown's time in charge to an end, Westley was asked to step in as caretaker boss at the beginning of February. His brief was simple: keep the club up.

He did so in difficult circumstances and despite a ludicrous shortage of strikers.

His achievement caught the eye of other clubs and he developed a taste for management. The board's decision to look elsewhere for a manager raised question marks over Westley's future.

Would he be happy to return to his Academy role? Would he be part of the new manager's coaching team? Would the incoming manager want him around?

The 46-year-old's departure is the first change to the backroom staff since Davies arrived but may not be the last.

Davies is assessing the existing backroom team and has a number of positions to fill including assistant manager, goalkeeping coach, chief scout and now Academy manager.

Meanwhile, Westley's experience at Academy level is believed to be interesting Birmingham City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2006, 10:50 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Thought that this might happen

It's a shame, he has done wonders with the academy, but it seems he was not willing too just go back to that after a taste of management.

I wouldn't mind if he goes to a club as manager, if that's what he wants too do, then fair enough, I wouldn't be pleased he he went to Birmingham as Academy manager though.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2006, 10:52 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Oh and in other coaching news, David Kelly seems favourite to become assistant manager, though there are other options.

And Kevin Poole is back helping out in training, and is one of many options for goalkeeping coach...thought we had got rid of him...

And there's a bit about the legend that is Robbie Van Der Laan, he currently works Derby's development centre for u8's and Man Utd international schools, but want's too get involved with the Derby first team, or at least the u18's.

He always used to get the best out of players as Captain, I'm sure he'd make a good coach too have around.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Last edited by jimbo jones; July 1st, 2006 at 10:58.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2006, 13:14
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
Hmmm yeh, In a way it didn't suprise me either. I wonder if managing the side until the end of the season made him believe, that he could manage a football club!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old July 3rd, 2006, 10:12 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Kevin Thelwell, former Youth boss at Preston North End, has emerged as the favourite to replace Terry Westley as Academy director at Derby County.

Westley's four years in charge of the Academy came to an end on Friday when he left the club by mutual consent.

Thelwell had quit his post as Preston's director of youth two days earlier and could now be heading to Derby to join up with Billy Davies again.

It was new Rams boss Davies who head-hunted Thelwell for Preston a year ago.

"We will be looking to replace Terry and Kevin is in the frame," said Davies.

"Kevin is an experienced and knowledgeable guy. I appointed him at Preston about a year ago and he did a very good job.

"The role of Academy director is a very important one."

Before joining Preston, Thelwell spent more than four years as Director of Coach Education with the Football Association of Wales Trust.

He was course director for all UEFA Pro Licence and UEFA 'A' Licence courses delivered in Wales, has a BSC Hons degree in Sports Science and provided technical support for the Welsh Under-16 squad.

Thelwell, who played professionally for Shrewsbury Town, had a successful season at Preston by guiding the youth team to victory over Colchester United in the final of the Alliance Youth Cup.

Davies says Westley's departure from Derby was in the best interests of both parties.

"I had a good chat with Terry and it was all very amicable," added Davies.

"We both felt that it was in the best interests of both parties that Terry moved on to something new and I wish him all the best in the future."

Davies is now looking to appoint a new Academy director as well as an assistant manager, goalkeeping coach and chief scout

No surprise he'd bring in some Preston staff.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old July 3rd, 2006, 14:14
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
yes think everyone thought this might happen, it's a shame really.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2006, 09:03 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Birmingham City have appointed former Derby County caretaker boss Terry Westley as their new academy manager.

Westley finished last season in temporary charge of The Rams, but stepped aside following the appointment of Preston's Billy Davies.

Richard Stevens had been caretaker boss of Blues' academy, although he has now reverted back to his assistant role following Westley's arrival.

Westley has an excellent track record of producing top quality youngsters for his work with Ipswich Town, Charlton Athletic and Luton Town.

He helped Ipswich produce the likes of Kieron Dyer, Richard Wright and Titus Bramble and more recently Lewin Nyatanga at Pride Park.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2006, 10:08 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Derby County has confirmed the departures of four members of the Moor Farm coaching staff as manager Billy Davies restructures his backroom team.

Coach Steve Taylor, physio Dave Galley, sports therapist Faz Page and sports scientist Wayne Campbell have left the club.

Managing director Mike Horton said: "A new manager will always have his own ideas about training methods and views on his coaching set-up and Billy is no different.

"This will often necessitate a review and restructuring of a coaching team.

"It was a difficult decision and we wish Steve, Dave, Faz and Wayne all the best for the future."

Page arrived during George Burley's time as manager while Galley and Campbell were recruited by Phil Brown.

Taylor (pictured) has been part of the Derby County football set-up - as a player and coach - for over 20 years, coaching at all levels. Most recently he was first team coach under Brown and caretaker boss Terry Westley.

"To release Steve was not a decision we took lightly," added Horton. "He was a talented player whose career was sadly cut short and he went on to become a popular and well-respected coach under a succession of Derby County managers.

"He has served the club with distinction for many years and I am sure the supporters will join everyone at the club in wishing him the best."

Plenty of ins and outs in the staff area, about time we had some players...

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2006, 19:18
Premier Player

New Manager, New Backroom staff, easily understandable!!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2006, 23:30
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
oh well, some good players developed with him as manager but I found this shocking
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old July 12th, 2006, 00:08
Premier Player

I wonder now how much of an impact Terry Westley had on the academy. With him no longer at the club, it will be interesting to see if we get the same standard of young players, coming into the first team squad!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old July 12th, 2006, 08:05 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Well that Thelwell has been brought in, and I personally think it's because Davies wanted him in instead of Westley, he would want his own guy, instead of someone he knows wants his job.

Hopefully Thelwel can keep up the good work, there's no reason why not, with the facilities we have, too bring players through.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in