Season Over - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old April 30th, 2006, 18:10 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Season Over

How do you think it went? Obviously poorly but I wasn't expecting the same result as last season but I was shocked at how poorly the team played away from home and the tactics earlier in the season.

What players will go? Which ones will stay for next season? Who should Derby target as their new manager and who should the Rams target for summer signings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old April 30th, 2006, 20:15
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
Probably one of the worst season's in my life, ranks as low as when we got relegated from the Premiership nearly 5 years ago. I think a number of reasons make me feel like this really, The Board, The manager sitatuion, Players being sold etc. I think with us finishing in 4th place last season, A lot of fans like myself, had 2 idea's of how this season would plan out?

1. We would kick on again from last year with the manager in place to buy new players

or

2. We would finish in a more mid-table postion, because we over-achieved last year

I think no-one could actually predict of how much a season this turned out to be, You could start looking from last summer, once we got rid of Burley ( which I'm still peeved off about, becuase we played good football under him ), because most of the squad at the time was all Burley's players, so therefore a new manager might not rate players that Burley did

Also, I think the appoinment of Phil Brown was a bit of hope appoinment, rather than an insurance one. Because of his lack of experiance, the board could offer a resonably low salery, and therefore do things on the cheap again. I thnk we can all look back and say that his appoinment was certaintly a wrong, n plus I believe If he has stayed on, we would be heading for League 1 next year. I think a lot of factors, which we don't know about also contributed to a nightmare season.

I hope next year we can look at things a bit more postivly, I couldn't name any specific player, but I would still like to see Billy Davies in charge, but who knows wot might happen in the summer!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2006, 11:20
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
I'm too hungover too rant at the moment, I'll do it when I've recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:32
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
The season then, ok so I thought we would struggle too make the play offs again, I still had high hopes of at least a top half finish, and who knew with a bit of luck maybe scrape in the play offs again.

Things started off ok, unbeaten in the first 5 league games, but the annual cup embarasment too Grimsby seemed to be the start off things going wrong, after that it was 9 games until we won again, lots of draws being the big problem early season.

Looking at things month by month says it all

August - 2 wins, not bad
September - no wins
October - 1 win
November - 1 win
December - 1 win

Then too January, a cracking 5-1 win over Crewe was somewhat of a false dawn, as the following week, was the most depressing day of my life as a Derby County fan, Sat on the train coming home from Coventry, it's hard to say what I felt like, I'd had plenty of beer that day, and was banging on about Brown the Clown, saying we're gonna get relegated with the pratt in charge, and then for about an hour I just sat there sulking

Of course the next week came the 2nd annual cup embarassment, too Colchester and the sacking of Phil Brown.

Terry Westley got us playing better, and looking more solid, but we didn't get that first win until his 6th game in charge.

The 3-0 win over Burnley was the best performance of the season, the 2-1 win over Palace was also a great result. Under Westley it's been pretty good apart from the Reading game, and the last 2, he did well too keep us up, and deserves all the praise for that.

Now Westley's record in charge, Won - 4 Drew - 6 Lost - 6

Not really brilliant, but given the circumstances, and not having a bloody striker for the last 3 games, it's not too bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in