New Board in Today!!! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2006, 13:56 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
New Board in Today!!!

Derby County supporters who wanted a local consortium to take over before Sunday's final game of the season appear to have had their wish granted.

Indications coming out of Pride Park today pointed to a takeover by the consortium led by former Rams vice-chariman Peter Gadsby being completed today.

The consortium also includes former Derbyshire County Cricket Club chairman Mike Horton, Heage-based construction company boss John Kirkland, Morley businessman Peter Marples and Littleover-born internet entrepreneur Mel Morris.

They have been favourites to win control ahead of London-based venture capitalists SISU and are the popular choice among the fans.

Confidentiality agreements had prevented either side from commenting in recent weeks but there has been plenty going on behind the scenes.

This week has been punctuated by rumours of bids, counter-bids and renewed bids winging their way to the Co-op Bank, ABC Corporation or both.

They are the club's two major creditors. The Co-op is owed around £29m and ABC £15m.

Meanwhile, the fans have waited patiently, hoping the takeover issue would be sorted before this weekend's home game against Sheffield Wednesday brings the curtain down on a depressing season for the Rams.

They had feared that further delay would damage the club's hopes for next season with a number of pressing matters to be decided.

Derby need a new manager so that plans for the 2006-07 campaign season can be put in place.

Caretaker boss Terry Westley has helped to secure the Rams status for another season after taking over when Phil Brown was sacked at the end of January.

This has put Westley in the frame for the role on a full-time basis and he has hinted that he would fancy the job.

The club has yet to announce season ticket prices for next season and this is expected to happen next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2006, 13:57 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

I would just like to say,

YYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS FUUUUUCKINNNNNGGGG YYYEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2006, 14:05
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
To Echoe, Jimbo Thought's

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2006, 14:07 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

I can't wait for there too be official confirmation, I don't wanna get too excited yet, but when it's made official I'm gonna go mad

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2006, 14:38 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

The consortium, Gadsby is the first one from the left.
Attached Images

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2006, 14:58
International

Teams: 1.FC Nürnberg, 1.FCN reserves, QPR, P.F.C
So, will the new board bring in money for new/better players? What do you think?

GLUBB

"Unsre Liebe unser Leiden unser ganzer Stolz bist du! Wir werden niemals untergehn wir werden immer zu dir stehn unsre Fahnen sie wehen auch wenn du mal verlierst, allez allez, Nürnberg allez......"
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2006, 22:47 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiollama
So, will the new board bring in money for new/better players? What do you think?
Each of the 5 men in the consortium are all putting in £10 million each, so that's £50 million

Of course we are about that much in debt at the moment, but I believe part of the deal of the takeover means the bank will right off some of the debt, so there should be a good amount of cash available too get a good manager in and give him a bit too spend, it will be strange not worrying about debt, and not having any money too spend anymore

The deal has not gone through yet though, they reckon it could be late into the night before it does.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2006, 00:10
International

Well congrats to you guys...

And may I suggest George Burley as your new manager??
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2006, 10:20 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcraft
Well congrats to you guys...

And may I suggest George Burley as your new manager??

He's a great manager, but as he proved again at Hearts, he likes walking out on clubs too much, so I wouldn't want him back, there's some fans who do though.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2006, 10:22 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Derby County's new owners will outline their plans for the club at a Pride Park press conference from 11am this morning (Saturday).

Former vice-chairman Peter Gadsby has returned to Derby County as part of a consortium which completed the purchase of the club at around 2.30am this morning.

Mr Gadsby and his colleagues will announce that the appointment of a manager and the launch of 2006-07 season ticket packages are the club's immediate priorities.

The make-up of the new board will also be revealed, with Mr Gadsby insisting the directors have a wealth of diverse talents along with the experience and enthusiasm to take the club forward.

CONFIRMED!!!!

Man I am so happy!

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2006, 10:28 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

The new owners of Derby County today thanked the supporters for backing their successful bid to take over the club.

A consortium of local businessmen, led by Peter Gadsby, took control of the Rams in the early hours of today.

Members of the five-man group spent more than six hours with lawyers in Nottingham before clinching a deal at 2.30am.

With the ink still drying on the deal, consortium member Mike Horton told the Evening Telegraph: “It has been a long and difficult process, needing patience and perseverance, particularly in regard to securing ownership of Pride Park Stadium.

“We would like to thank the fans for their support over he past few months and without whose encouragement we may not have got to this point.”

The consortium won the head-to-head battle with rival bidders SISU, the London-based venture capitalists.

The deal has given the group, which also includes John Kirkland, Peter Marples and Mel Morris, control of the club and the stadium.

Meanwhile, out-going director and chief executive Jeremy Keith has wished the new owners well but warns they face a difficult task in turning the club around.

“The local consortium outbid SISU and good luck to them,” said Keith. “I think it is a good opportunity for the football club if everybody associated with it - players, staff, supporters, corporate sponsors - get behind the new board,.

“The focus should now be on the future. The club has suffered for many years, and prior to my arrival, with divisions and factions. This is now the time for everybody to pull together at all levels.

“If everybody can unify, the club can become stronger and have every chance of success but it will be a difficult job, take it from me.”

The majority of fans have backed the Gadsby group and former Rams chairman John Sleightholme also believes the club will thrive in the hands of local owners.

He was a member of the consortium that took control in October 2003, being joined by Keith and Steve Harding.

Sleightholme, who owned two thirds of the club and Keith a third, resigned two weeks ago due to a split in the boardroom.

This left Keith and Harding on the board along with finance director Andrew Mackenzie and operations director Paul Clouting.

Sleightholme is pleased that the period of uncertainty surrounding the Rams has ended.

“I'm delighted that the local consortium has taken over and I wish Peter Gadsby and his colleagues all the best in trying to get the club to where we all want it to be - secure in the Premiership,” said Sleightholme.

“The fans wanted the club to return to local ownership, a view with which I agreed, and hopefully the club can now move forward.”

Owning Pride Park again is one of the biggest thing, not sure what the debt situation is, but for the first time in years we look to be in a strong position of the field, and can go into next season full of confidence

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2006, 10:45
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
Amazing it has finally happened, and before the end of the season as well, hopefully it will be the start a great era for the club.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2006, 11:45
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
Finally, we can believe the dream, Lets hope the supporters can give an almight welcome to the new board on sunday!!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2006, 15:00 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Some info on the new board members...

MIKE HORTON

Mr Horton has an impressive track record in sports management and international industry. His proven style of leadership and his energy resulted in a reversal of fortunes for Derbyshire County Cricket Club. Mr Horton will be the club's Vice-Chairman and Managing Director with a day-to-day role that will encompass football matters. Mr Horton and myself (Peter Gadsby) will work to identify and recommend the next manager.

JOHN KIRKLAND OBE

Mr Kirkland was previously Derby County's longest-serving Director and his family links with the club stretch back many decades - his father was also on the club's Board. He has a wealth of footballing experience.

DON AMOTT

The Chairman of Derbyshire County Cricket Club, Mr Amott is a Derbyshire businessman who has an excellent track record in the leisure industry. He adds valuable experience with an excellent business track record. Has enjoyed considerable experience in football, steering Burton Albion to success in recent years.

JILL MARPLES

Mrs Marples is an accountant with a number of business interests and is Derby County's first female Director. We will be utilising her proven talents in corporate hospitality. Mrs Marples will also be Company Secretary.

MEL MORRIS

Mr Morris has developed a brand-leading Internet business and has 25 years' experience in the IT industry. He will add immense value to our online operation and the development of the club's worldwide brand. His background is invaluable as we look to develop opportunities in the area of new technology. Mr Morris will be a Non-Executive Director.

PETER GADSBY

No stranger to the Derby County boardroom, the businessman was vice chairman of the club for seven years

Mr Gadsby, along with former chairman John Kirkland, parted company on the eve of the Rams' match with Liverpool in April 2002, the 2-0 defeat which followed guaranteed relegation from the Premiership.

The 55-year-old bought construction company Birch, in 1987. In 12 years, the firm carried out more than £200m of development, including Heatherton Village, office developments in Sir Frank Whittle Road and Stuart Street and another major housing development at Chellaston.

While he was on the board at the club he helped build Pride Park by purchasing the 10 acres of land required and the stadium was opened by the Queen in 1997.

In 2000, the father-of-one sold Birch to Miller Homes for an undisclosed fee. He took some time off before starting up his present company in 2002 - Ark Capital, the holding company for Cedar House Investments, Miller Birch, Priordawn and latterly Radleigh Homes.

The group of business turned over £50m last year. Cedar House Investments also secured a joint deal to buy the former Bombardier site for a £50m development on Pride Park - the last plot on the development.

There are also plans for a £30m office development alongside the sixth-form college and Pride Park III - a 168-acre business park south of Sinfin for aerospace and rail industries.

In December, Cedar Investments got the green light to carry out a multi-million-pound redevelopment on the old Nestle factory in Ashbourne.

Plans for the 36-acre site include 80 homes, offices, shops, a hotel and petrol station and a 20-acre area earmarked for community use.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2006, 15:18
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
good news, hopefully this board can help Derby get out of debt and back in the Premiership
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2006, 10:40 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Derby County are hoping to reveal more details about the club's debt following a board meeting next week.

The new directors are not currently in a position to release details of the takeover because of confidentiality agreements with the Co-op Bank.

But the Rams' managing director Mike Horton says the club is more than happy to be open about the debt.

"We are still wading through the paperwork and the Co-op Bank is helping us to arrive at those final figures because the deal was a little bit flexible in the end as to what the final figure was," adds Horton.

"That is not because we didn't know, it's just because the complexity of the situation meant we needed to let it come out in the fullness of time.

"We hope to get together as a board next week and finalise what we believe is a full and frank statement showing the situation of the club.

"It will depend on the Co-op Bank being part and parcel of that because they have been very helpful and supportive, and we wouldn't want to say anything they didn't.

"So hopefully in the next week to 10 days we should be able to give people some idea of what the situation is."

The local consortium bought the club in the early hours of last Saturday morning and revealed that the debt had risen to £52m under the previous board.

A £25m package has been invested and the new six-strong board have all made equal contributions.

Straightforward subtraction suggests the remaining debt is £27m but the figure is expected to be much lower.

Derby have declined to comment on figures in a newspaper report on the current financial situation at Pride Park.

The report speculates that the debt is now thought to be below £10m and that the bank is believed to have written off around £20m worth of debt.

The report adds that some of the debt left may have been "parked" and become due for repayment on the event of promotion to the Premiership.

Meanwhile, the sale of season tickets for the 2006-07 campaign is set to be announced in the middle of next week.

Wow, if the debt really has gone below £10 million that would just be amazing.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 09:35 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Derby County director John Kirkland OBE has been appointed the club's President.

The board of directors is delighted to announce the appointment of the first President for over 25 years and Chairman Peter Gadsby believes it is a fitting role for one of the club's most loyal and long-standing supporters and directors.

"John was previously Derby County's longest-serving director and his family links with the club stretch back many decades. His father and uncle also served on the board.

"It is appropriate that a club such as ours with a proud history and rich heritage should respect such traditions. John has served the club with distinction for many years and this acknowledgement is well deserved.

Mr Kirkland, a shareholder who will remain on the club's board, said: "This appointment is a tremendous honour. I am proud to have been involved with Derby County for many years and have been a supporter my whole life.

"I intend to do justice to this role by continuing to do all I can for the club as a director and an ambassador for Derby County. My family and I have treasured the many years we have spent watching and serving Derby County and it is with a real sense of pride that I take up this prestigious role."

Derby County's last President was Sam Longson, who ended his association with the club in November 1980. Sir Robertson King was President during the Rams' championship-winning seasons in the 1970s. J T Ann was the serving President when Derby County won the FA Cup in 1946 and he was replaced by Ossie Jackson.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2006, 13:07 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Tommy Smith on life at Derby at the minute, shows how everyone is happier (bar the usual moaning tossers of course)

Derby have since landed Steve Howard, Ryan Smith and Matt Oakley - signings which have impressed last season's player of the year.

"You can't not be impressed with the club spending over £1m on new players, it's a good time to be here," said Smith.

"It's a different atmosphere around the club now. You see the board members at the training ground and at games and they come and talk to you and tell you about their plans for the club - you feel involved and everybody seems to be working together.

"Previously there were three different voices around the place and you never knew who to believe - now everyone is pulling in the same direction and we all know what's going on."

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in