FA Cup Winners - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2006, 16:38 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
FA Cup Winners

I don't know why, but for some reason, there's stuff about the 1946 cup winning team all over the Derby websites at the minute, and I've reading loads o stuff, so I thought I'd post some stuff up here, there's some interesting stuff I think and stuff I didn't know, like our first ever FA Cup final was against Forest in 1898 and we lost 3-1, we made the final again in 1899 and lost 4-1 Sheffield United and again in 1903, and lost 6-0 too Bury, which is a record defeat in a FA cup final, another unwanted record I'm sure we have, is the club too lose the most FA cup semi finals, not sure how many we've lost though. Anyway too some of the articles...

The attendance for the 1946 FA Cup final was 98,215, with receipts of 45,000 - a British record at the time.

Shortly after winning the FA Cup, Derby toured Czechoslovakia, where they won one and lost three of their four matches.

Jack Parr was involved in a real hard luck story. An ever-present during the FA Cup run, the left-back broke his arm a week after the semi-final replay victory and missed the final.

A shot from Jack Stamps in the last five minutes of the FA Cup final looked goalbound until the ball burst and fell at Charlton goalkeeper Sam Bartram's feet. By a strange coincidence, the ball also burst in the League South match between the two teams four days later.

After announcing arrangements for the sale of Cup final tickets, Derby County received 250,000 letters representing applications for a million tickets. The club's staff faced such a task they had to call on the help of half-a-dozen Post Office sorters.

There might never have been a 1946 final. Days before the game, the Rams players discovered that their wives and girlfriends had been given cheaper uncovered seats at Wembley while the directors' wives were seated under cover. The players told the board: "No new tickets, no Cup final." The club quickly put the matter right.

Road to Wembley

(Each round of the 1945-46 FA Cup competition up to the semi-final was played over two legs)

Third round
Luton Town 0 Derby County 6
Derby County 3 Luton Town 0
(aggregate 9-0).

Fourth round
Derby County 1 WBA 0
WBA 1 Derby County 3
(aggregate 4-1).

Fifth round
Brighton 1 Derby County 4
Derby County 6 Brighton 0
(aggregate 10-1).

Sixth round
Aston Villa 3 Derby County 4
Derby County 1 Aston Villa 1
(aggregate 5-4).

Semi-final
(at Hillsborough, Sheffield)
Derby Co 1 Birmingham City 1

Semi-final replay
(at Maine Road, Manchester)
Derby Co 4 Birmingham City 0

Final
(at Wembley_
Derby 4-1 Charlton Athletic (aet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2006, 16:41 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

FA Cup final line up

Vic Woodley, (goalkeeper):
Born: Chippenham, February 26, 1910
Died: Bradford-on-Avon, October 23, 1978
Career: Windsor and Eton May 1931; Bath City December 1945; Derby County March 1946; Player-manager Bath City May 1947 to December 1949.

Jack Nicholas (right-back):
Born: Derby,November 26, 1910
Died: Nottingham, February 4, 1977
Career: Swansea Town juniors; Derby County December 1927; Acting player-manager 1942 to March 1944. Retired 1947.

Jack Howe (left-back):
Born: West Hartlepool, October 7, 1915
Died: Hartlepool, April 5, 1987
Career: Hartlepools United June 1934; Derby County March 1936; Huddersfield Town October 1949; Player-manager Kings Lynn July 1951; manager to May 1953; player to July 1955; Wisbech Town August 1955.

Jim Bullions (right-half):
Born: Dennyloanhead, March 12, 1924
Career: Chesterfield Amateur December 1942; Clowne CS 1944; Derby County October 1944; Leeds United November 1947; Shrewsbury Town September 1950; Worksop Town August 1955; Gresley Rovers August 1956; Sutton Town December 1956; Matlock Town October 1958; Alfreton Town August 1960; player-manager September 1960; manager to September 1968.

Leon Leuty (centre-half):
Born: Meole Brace, October 23, 1920
Died: Nottingham, December 19, 1955
Career: Derby County amateur 1936; Derby Corinthians; Rools-Royce; Derby County amateur August 1943; professional May 1944; Bradford March 1950; Notts County September 1950.

Chick Musson (left-half):
Born: Kilburn, October 8, 1920
Died: Loughborough, April 22, 1955
Career: Holbrook St Michaels; Derby County amateur March 1936; professional October 1937; player-manager Brush Sports June 1954.

Reg Harrison (outside-right):
Born: Derby, May 22, 1923
Career: Derby Corinthians; Derby County March 1944; Boston United July 1955; player-coach Long Eaton United May 1957; player-manager January 1958; coach, Wilmorton and Alvaston May 1962; player-coach, Alfreton Town July 1962; manager, Crewton July 1966; coach, Belper Town June 1970.

Raich Carter (inside-right):
Born: Sunderland, December 21, 1913
Died: Willerby, October 9, 1994
Career: Sunderland amateur November 1930; professional November 1931; Derby County December 1945; player/assistant manager Hull City March 1948; player-manager May 1948; resigned as manager May 1951; retired as player April 1952; Cork Athletic January 1953; Manager Leeds United May 1953 to June 1958; manager Mansfield Town February 1960; manager Middlesbrough January 1963 to February 1966.

Jack Stamps (centre-forward):
Born: Thrybergh, December 2, 1918
Died: Winshill, November 19, 1991
Career: Mansfield Town October 1937; New Brighton August 1938; Derby County January 1939; Shrewsbury Town December 1953; Burton Albion August 1954; coach, scout, assistant manager, temporary manager, manager February 1958 to October 1959.

Peter Doherty (inside-left):
Born: Magherafelt, June 5, 1913
Died: Fleetwood, April 6, 1990
Career: Station United; Coleraine amateur; Glentoran June 1930; Blackpool November 1933; Manchester City February 1936; Derby County December 1945; Huddersfield Town December 1946; player-manager Doncaster Rovers June 1949; retired as a player 1953; manager to January 1958; manager Northern Ireland October 1951 to February 1962; manager Bristol City January 1958 to March 1960; advisor Notts County December 1965; chief scout Aston Villa July 1968; assistant manager Preston October 1970; chief scout Sunderland January 1953.

Dally Duncan (outside-left):
Born: Aberdeen, October 14, 1909
Died: Brighton, January 2, 1990
Career: Aberdeen Richmond; Hull City August 1928; Derby County March 1932; Luton Town player-coach October 1946; player-manager June 1947; retired as player 1948; manager to October 1958; manager Blackburn Rovers October 1958 to July 1960.

Raich Carter, Peter Doherty and Jack Stamps, legends, the main 3 of that team, of course the fans player of the year is called the Jack Stamps player of the year.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2006, 16:44 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Reg Harrison and Jim Bullions are often referred to as the 'Cup Final Babes' following their part in Derby County's greatest afternoon at Wembley back in April 1946.

Now aged 82, both are clearly far from youngsters anymore but the memory of that special day remains crystal clear.

The story of the day is well-documented but because it is so long ago when the Rams won their only FA Cup, many fans may be unaware of what actually happened.

Derby, under the guidance of manager Stuart McMillan, went into the first post-war final as slight underdogs to Charlton Athletic.

But, according to the match report from the Evening Telegraph's Mark Eaton, there was only ever one side in it, despite the Rams having to take the game into extra-time before confirming their superiority.

Although Derby eventually cruised to a comfortable 4-1 win, they did not break the deadlock until the 81st minute when Charlton's Bert Turner skewed the ball into his own net.

Turner atoned for his slip to level the scores a minute later but once extra-time began there was only ever going to be one winner.

Peter Doherty restored the Rams' lead in the 91st minute and, as Charlton wilted, Jackie Stamps added two more in the 101st and 107th minutes.

Harrison, whose release from the Royal Engineers only came through about a week before his Wembley date, was described by Eaton as having a "quiet" first-half before playing "brilliantly" from the interval onwards.

Bullions, the youngest member of the Rams side, was said to have been, along with team-mate Leon Leuty, the "outstanding" half-back on the day.

Harrison and Bullions remain good friends and often bump into each other when watching the current Derby side go through their paces at Pride Park Stadium.

When brought together to mark the 60th anniversary of their Cup success, the memories came flooding back, not just of the game itself but the whole day.

"Driving down to the stadium before the match and seeing all the supporters on the side of the road was something I'll always remember," said Harrison.

"That's when you realised, I think, how big an occasion it really was."

Bullions will never forget the nerves which engulfed him shortly before kick-off.

"At the final, when we got through the tunnel the atmosphere was electric," he said.

"Charlton were favourites but we were confident in our ability going into the game.

"As with all the finals, when we came out of the tunnel we had this long walk up to the halfway line which seemed to take forever.

"It must have been nerves, I suppose, but my tongue went as hard as anything and it wasn't until we kicked off and after I'd touched the ball for the first time that my tongue loosened up and I began to relax."

But Harrison added: "Once the game began, we became focused on what we had to do."

Although there were many heroes that day, the stars of the Rams side at the time were undoubtedly inside-right Raich Carter and inside-left Doherty.

Carter was akin to a director of operations with superb vision and passing, coupled with a powerful shot, while his partner in crime, Doherty, who later managed Northern Ireland to the World Cup quarter-finals in Sweden in 1958, was more of an instant crowd-pleaser, a dribbler who worked hard, as well as having a keen eye for a pass and scoring goals.

On the day, both certainly played their part, as did all of the Rams players, including the two youngsters Harrison and Bullions, who even now, 60 years on, are full of admiration and praise for their two illustrious team-mates.

"Pete and Raich filled us with confidence," said Harrison.

"They were two players who wanted the ball all the time, wherever they were on the pitch.

"They were quality players but we had a lot of good players in that side. Jack Howe at left-back was, for me, one of the best players I'd ever seen."

Bullions added: "Raich was a perfect passer of the ball. Doherty was a different kind of player, always looking to dribble his way through sides.

"For that era, I think he was the equivalent of what George Best was in the late 1960s - he was brilliant."

How long it will be before the Rams can repeat their one and only FA Cup triumph is anyone's guess.

Both Bullions and Harrison would be surprised if the club were in a position to challenge for such honours in the forseeable future but they live in hope.

Of the current crop of players, Bullions rates Tommy Smith as the stand-out performer.

He said: "Smith's an excellent player and exciting to watch because he's always willing to take defenders on and get to the byline.

"Derby must keep him at all costs if they are to go anywhere."

Being the youngest two players in an experienced Rams Cup-winning team 60 years ago, both men also appreciate the value of youth and believe investment in youngsters is the best way forward for the Rams.

"The club's obviously doing something right because of all the players it keeps producing, such as Tom Huddlestone and, this season, Giles Barnes and Lewin Nyatanga," said Harrison.

"There are really only two ways you can see the good times coming back to Derby and that's if they strike lucky and find somebody like Roman Abramovich who can come in and do what he's done at Chelsea or, if they can hold onto the youngsters.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2006, 18:55
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
One of the Greatest Days in the Club's History!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2006, 13:08
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
My dad's history of Derby County video has this information on it. I can remember watching it as a kid and i couldn't believe how many times we'd lost in F.A Cup finals.
That is an old video though, from 1993-1994, at the end of the video there all talking about a move to a new stadium (Pride Park). Michael Forsyth comes on and says that he's excited about the move to the new stadium......shame he never got to play in it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in