Player of the Year - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2006, 09:47 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Player of the Year

For the third time in four seasons Derby County have struggled with life in the second tier of English football.

They have used 38 players, a ridiculous amount in the 44 league and cup matches played so far.

Plenty of names then, but not many clear candidates for supporters to ponder as they look to name their Player of the Year.

Few players can be pleased with the way the season has gone and choosing a winner of the Jack Stamps Award is a difficult task.

Criteria is needed to produce nominees. For me, a player is a serious contender if he has played in at least 30 of the games at this point, the majority of them starts.

Giorgi Kinkladze collected the award a few years ago depsite starting less than half of the matches.

Much chopping and changing has left only six players on 25-plus starts and five with more than 30 appearances under their belt - Tommy Smith, Inigo Idiakez, Lee Camp, Adam Bolder, Morten Bisgaard and Paul Peschisolido.

Bisgaard has dipped away alarmingly and Peschisolido has been seen more as a sub than a starter .

Seth Johnson can count himself unlucky because he was the in-form midfielder before suffering a knee injury in January's mauling at Coventry. Given his growing influence at the time, he would probably have gone close to the award.

Young centre-back Lewin Nyatanga has been impressive since breaking into the side.

He displays remarkable composure for a 17-year-old and offers valuable balance being left-footed. He has rewritten Welsh football history by becoming the youngest player to win a full cap and has had a memorable first season in the senior ranks.

Nyatanga should walk away with the young player award ahead of midfielder Giles Barnes (17), who has also produced eye-catching performances.

Both youngsters can be proud of their achievements but must remain focused on the challenges ahead.

Lee Camp has also recovered well from an uncertain opening to the season but Idiakez, Smith and Bolder look to be the three front runners for the prize.

Reigning player of the year Idiakez is in double figures for goals again this season. He is leading scorer on 11 and on his day can dictate the tempo of Derby's play with some style and swagger.

He has enjoyed a good campaign without reaching the heights of last season.

Another name expected to attract votes is that of Smith.

Hard-working and energetic, Smith was outstanding last season but like Idiakez, he has not produced the same standard consistently this season.

He should be scoring more goals - he has six - and his end product lets him down on occasions, be it cross or shot.

Bolder has always been recognised as a player who can provide urgency and bite to Derby's midfield, a player of heart and fight.

Consistency has been a problem, though being in the side one minute and out the next does not help. You sensed he was an easy target to leave out for previous managers George Burley and Phil Brown.

Bolder started eight of the first nine games as the Rams made a promising opening to the season but was bundled down the pecking order by an influx of loan signings, few of them making a noticeable contribution.

He was out in the cold during October and November but has been handed a new lease of life under caretaker manager Terry Westley.

His character and determination to keep going despite difficult circumstances has stood out.

Such an attitude deserves the award but it is the choice of the supporters that counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2006, 09:56 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Not sure who too vote for to be honest, if Seth Johnson hadn't got injured, I'm sure he would have won it, but he did, and he's missed the good performances brought about by change in management.

Idiakez has been too hit and miss for me.

So it leaves Tommy Smith and Adam Bolder.

Smith's not been as good as he was last season, but the players around him haven't been either.

Now then, my man Bolder, he started the season in the side and we had a good start, then he got dropped by that Clown for the likes of Whittingham and Johhnie Jackson, and we go on a right shyte run, Terry Westley brings him back into the side and we start doing fairly well, at home at least again.

I think I'd vote for Bolder myself

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2006, 10:00 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Striker Tommy Smith was this week named the Derby County Official Supporters' Club's unanimous choice as 2006 Player of the Year.

The rapid frontman received the trophy from Supporters' Club representative Jayne Green at a Pride Park awards ceremony attended by 320 people on Tuesday night.

Rams caretaker boss Terry Westley and the entire first team squad were there to participate in an enjoyable evening that also saw fans from branches of the Official Supporters' Club from Derbyshire and beyond receive awards for their loyal support.

Think he'll get the fans one as well, despite not getting my vote, I wouldn't argue with it though...

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Last edited by jimbo jones; April 5th, 2006 at 13:04.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2006, 12:48
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
Derseved as well, always puts in 100% and has a bit of skill about him as well

WELL DONE TOMMY!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2006, 13:19 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Too vote for fans player of the year go here...I did go for Bolder, still think Smith will win this one as well though.

http://www.therams.co.uk

(the long link didn't want too work, but you should find it in there somewhere )

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2006, 15:01
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
arrr i think smith will win it
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old April 20th, 2006, 09:44 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

All-action midfielder Adam Bolder has landed the Player of the Year award at the Derby County end of season dinner.

Adam, one of the club's longest-serving players, received his award from Rams boss Terry Westley during the Toyota Suite ceremony on Wednesday night.

He's made 24 league starts this season, scoring twice.

The voting panel included Westley, first team coach Steve Taylor, ex-Rams striker Roger Davies, Derby Evening Telegraph chief sports writer Steve Nicholson, BBC Radio Derby's Colin Gibson and Phil Matthews from Ram FM.

Lewin Nyatanga
Young defender Lewin Nyatanga landed two awards - the Young Player of the Year trophy and the Brian Clough Award, recognising an outstanding contribution to Derby County.

It's been a breakthrough season for the 17-year-old who captained the Wales U21 side before becoming the youngest ever player to turn out for his national senior team.

He's been a revelation at the back for the Rams during 2005-06 and even mentored his friend and fellow 17-year-old defender Miles Addison through his Pride Park debut against Hull City last weekend.

James Meredith

Young Australian left-back James Meredith was named Academy Player of the Year. The 18-year-old recently landed a two-year pro deal with the Rams but has yet to break through into the first team.

Great too see Bolder win it

This still isn't the fans one, which is seen as the most importantone, which I still expect Smith too win.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old April 20th, 2006, 22:35
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Bolder I would have gone for Tommy Smith although Bolder did have a good season and he is a long serving Derby player
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old April 20th, 2006, 23:04
Premier Player

Yeah im surprised Tommy Smith didn't win it, but oh well I think Bolder has been very consistent whilst he has been in the side this season, so well done to Bolder
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old April 21st, 2006, 10:29 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Like I said too Durkos on msn, Smith has won the Supporters club player of the year, I'm sure he will win the fans player of they year, so I wouldn't be surprised if this swung Bolders way too share things out a bit.

The Jackie Stamps "fans" player of the year, is the big one really, I think that is announced early next week, and will presented after the final whistle of the Sheff Wed game.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old April 21st, 2006, 10:34 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Like I said too Durkos on msn, Smith has won the Supporters club player of the year, I'm sure he will win the fans player of they year, so I wouldn't be surprised if this swung Bolders way too share things out a bit.

The Jackie Stamps "fans" player of the year, is the big one really, I think that is announced early next week, and will presented after the final whistle of the Sheff Wed game.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2006, 13:55
Premier Player

Like Jimbo said Smith has already had, the official supporters club one, and I'm sure will get the fans one, so it's good too see Bolder getting some recognition, after all the years he's been here.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2006, 10:11 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Now available at the club shop...the Tommy Smith dvd!

They love a good dvd at Derby.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2006, 13:12
Premier Player

Another DVD, I think we are making more DVD's than there is it at blockbusters at the moment, ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2006, 13:46 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkos
Another DVD, I think we are making more DVD's than there is it at blockbusters at the moment, ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah they'll make a dvd about anything, surprised there isn't an Idiakez one...or maybe there is...

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2006, 14:03
Premier Player

Or they could even make one about the times of Danny Graham, it could only be about 2 minutes long, his best passes, shots on target etc!!!!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2006, 14:06 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkos
Or they could even make one about the times of Danny Graham, it could only be about 2 minutes long, his best passes, shots on target etc!!!!

You know you want him signed on for next season.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2006, 10:23 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Confirmed, Tommy Smith is the supporters player of the year, and will pick the award up after tomorrow's game.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2006, 10:48
Premier Player

Think we all knew it would be, well done Tommy!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2006, 11:46
Premier Player

Most obvious choice in recent years really, well done Tommy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in