Premiership Years - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old February 26th, 2006, 20:54 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Premiership Years

At the request of Durkos and Neil, a thread too talk about the Premiership years, a subject always talked about down in the local pub after a few beers, when we start rambling on about the good old days

But by the time I wake up (with a hangover) the next morning I've forgotten half of what is said, so here's a thread too talk of the highlights, low points and memories of the 6 season we ahd in the big time. Starting of with the 1999/97 season.

Well, I wasn't the keen follower of Derby I am now back then, it wasn't untill about halfway through this season that I went too my first ever Derby game, we lost 1-0 too Everton from a Nick Barmby header. I went too the game with the Junior football team I played for, and we had a tour round the Baseball Ground. When in the changing room we got a real bonus when Igor Stimac walked in, he made one of the workers there go and get a flag and he signed and gave it my little brother, he's a Villa fan so I took the flag of him Sadly Igor's autograph has now faded off the flag.

But it was that day, at my first ever game, which made me a Derby fan, because I wasn't really one before, and I am the only Derby fan in the family, too get me into the club, just a generous and extremely rich assistant manager off my football team who brought us all tickets, and a tour of the ground.

Other Highlights off that season, has to be beating Man Utd 3-2 at Old Trafford, and that wonder goal by Wanchope. Looking at the results of that season, getting thumped 6-1 by Middlesbrough must have been the worst night of that season. And it was 2 draws against the scum.

12th position first season after promotion was a fantastic achievejment, which no-one can really of expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old February 26th, 2006, 23:41
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Well I remember the season we got relegated because that season Derby were on many times on American TV and really the only time I have got to see them play in the past years except for the Fulham FA Cup matches.

Igor Stimac didn't punch you?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old February 27th, 2006, 12:34
Premier Player

Teams: Nottingham Forest, Roma,Italy
i remember us winning 1-0 in our final EPl season , the angry dutchman got the goal, but there were two separate celebrations, the dutchman alone in one place, the rest doing it separately.

"John Robertson was a very unattractive young man. If, one day, I was feeling a bit off colour, I would sit next to him. I was bloody Errol Flynn compared to him, but give him a yard of grass and he was an artist. The Picasso of our game"

Brian Clough

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old February 27th, 2006, 13:06
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
Finally a good thread!!!, Having won promotion to the Premiership, the previous I think the expectation was that we would be in a relegation fight all season long. But unlike the many supporters, for some reason I fancied up to stay up that season. I think the signings we made for Asanaovic, Laursen, Paul Parker and Paul Mcgrath, sort made me think that we would stay up.

Actually, that season I only went to only Premiership game at the BBG, it was the first game vs Leeds at home, I think ive already told jimbo and neil, that it was the best atmosphere ive ever experienced. A fantastic game it was as well, a cracking 3-3 draw to get the season underway. The game is remembered, for Derby scoring 2 goals in 2 mintues, with Sturridge and Simpson getting the goals.

Another memory from that season, was where Tottenham opted to train at the local Primary school in Mickleover , now i know that Jimbo and Neil will remember this greatley because Gibson, who is a friend of ours, has said to me that he took the phone call from Spurs asking them if it was ok to train on the school field. I think the other 2 can go into more detail than me on this

But the memory of that season for me, Is undoubtably the 3-2 victory against Man United at Old Trafford. I rank this is our best ever Premiership win, and always will unless, we somehow beat Chelsea . But I think it was the manor of which we played, from listinin to the game, we had plenty of chances during the match, with the best chance goin to Ashley Ward, who missed an open goal lol!!!. But the goal from Wanchope was a thing of beauty, I still rave about it now to new Man United fans I meet.

Well those are my memorys from that season, I think that started to give us a taste of some of the football we would play, during the upcoming seasons
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old February 27th, 2006, 14:22 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartle
i remember us winning 1-0 in our final EPl season , the angry dutchman got the goal, but there were two separate celebrations, the dutchman alone in one place, the rest doing it separately.
A rare victory...recent games are filled with draws, and the odd thrashing by the Rams as Pride Park, I don't think we've won at the City Ground since the 80's./

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old February 27th, 2006, 14:23 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkos

Another memory from that season, was where Tottenham opted to train at the local Primary school in Mickleover , now i know that Jimbo and Neil will remember this greatley because Gibson, who is a friend of ours, has said to me that he took the phone call from Spurs asking them if it was ok to train on the school field. I think the other 2 can go into more detail than me on this
Oh was that this season, I remeber it wellm I got Sol Campbel's autograph, I also remebered Teddy Sherringham being a right Billy Big Time and only singing about 3 autographs and refusing to do anymore, while he sat out of training and watched.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old February 27th, 2006, 19:40
Premier Player

If I also remember rightly, this was the last year we played at the legendary Baseball ground, our home for nearly 100 years. It was fitting that our last game that season was agaisnt Arsenal at home, there were massive pre-match celebrations that went on. Even thought we lost this game 3-2, it was still a emotional day for Derby fans!!!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old February 28th, 2006, 09:53 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yeah I always thought it wasa shame I never got to that Arsenal game, but nevermind in the following years I got too goo back twice, with a few mates (not sure whether Neil or Durkos went...I'm sure Neil did) too watch my brother play in the Community cup final...I watched Alvaston bloody Eagles play at the BBG more times than I watched Derby County :embarass:

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Last edited by jimbo jones; February 28th, 2006 at 12:53.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old February 28th, 2006, 12:08
Premier Player

The community cup, watch a legendary competition. That was the place I think every little kid in Derby wanted to play at, I certiantly did!!!!!!!!!!. In fact i actually played on the BBG, when it was my 12th birthday, we went for a tour round the stadium. Then i played on the pitch with Rammie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Apparently Gibson n Rosey said I scored a belting goal, I can't remember but im sure it was good

Those were the days!!!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old February 28th, 2006, 15:26
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
I remember when Tottenham came to train, i couldn't go cause i had to sit on the f#cking bench for Mickleover All Stars...but thats another story. But what a season, i never got to go to a game that season, ticket were like goldust that year, you just couldn't get your hands on em. I'd gone to most of the home games in the promotion year, it's a shame i didn't go to any that year. This year, we finally realised are dreams of playing Manchester United, something that we always talked about in the school playground for many years, and for it to finally happen, and to go one better and beat them away 3-2...that was just the icing on the cake.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old March 1st, 2006, 14:25 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Now then, lets move onto 97/98, the first season at Pride Park, starting off with the freindly against Sampdoria, and that great won of 7 and one abandoned game where the floodlights went out without losing at the new ground including beating Arsenal 3-0 :googly...can't even imagine doing that these days. But that defeat was in the league cup too Newcastle, which was the only game I went too that season, in the league the unbeaten run lasted another 5 games untill Villa finally put an end too it.

A 1-0 win over Liverpool on the last day of the season wasn't enough for a Uefa Cup place as other results didn't go our way...how times change, A very good 9th place finish though.

Oh and there was also a certain Leeds game I'll let someone else go into that

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old March 1st, 2006, 15:29
Premier Player

I actually went to the Sampdoria friendly, with my dad n brother. If i seem to remember rightly, they didn't have a bad side at all in those days, Klinsmann and Karembeu are the players I can remember from that particular match!!. I also remember Wanchope scoring an awesome backheel goal for us

But in terms of the Premiership season, it was by far the best standard of football, I've seen a Derby side play in my life time. Ive pointed out this a number of times that the trio of Baiano, Wanchope and Eranio were one of the best trio's in the premiership at the time, also our backline which was Rowett, Stimac, Chrissy Powell and Christian Dailly (which btw, i dnt think we have had a backline, nearly as strong as that since)

I seem to remember the infamous, lights going out against Wimbledon at home, which didn't go down to well with the home faithful. Other highlights from that year, we probably the actual demoliton of Southampton at Pride Park, we won 4-0 and that was a fair reflection of the game as well, Derby were outstanding from the start to finish. This was probably the best game of football i have ever seen. Also the 3-0 defeat of eventual Champions Arsenal, was a nice win as well, sturridge tearing their defence to pieces.

But like Derby today, we always have some realli unexpected results, aka the 4-0 and 5-0 drubbings at home to Leicester and Leeds, which to this day I still cant get my head around. I think the leicester one was worst, because they were 4-0 up inside the first 15 minutes, werent didnt make pleased viewing for the next 80 odd minutes.

Now the Leeds game that jimbo was referring to, was probably the most true tale of football is a game of 2 halfs, in the first half, Derby absolutly ripped Leeds to pieces and took a derserved 3-0 going into half time, Now like all Derby teams, they have must have a self-destruct button on the door of the changing room, because Leeds just went a mini scoring spree, and scored a last minute winner through Lee Bowyer, I remember Graham Richards, going mental wen he scored!!!

But to eventaully finish 9th that season, was an incredible achievement, and if results had gone we could had have a shot of making europe, but nevertheless a very successful season
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old March 1st, 2006, 15:46 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

I dunno how I forgot about this, but I did go too a second game this season, and it was my first ever away game...and I've never been to a better one, Hillsbrough too see Derby demolish Sheffield Wednesday 5-2. Eranio, Baiano and Wanchope of course doing the damage, it was an awesome performance. We had a great team back then

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old March 1st, 2006, 18:45
Premier Player

Oh yeh good point Jimbo, i forget bout that, That was an awesome game n plus, don't forget I think Sheff Wed took the lead as well!!!
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2006, 08:21 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

They twice took the lead, 1-0 and 2-1 inside the first 15 minutes, certainly got my money's worth that day

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old March 7th, 2006, 13:29
Premier Player

Ive just been scoruing the Therams.co.uk, website and It was interestin that Jim smith was interested in get Eidur Gudjohnsen to Derby before Chelsea bought him. It would have been interesting to see what kinda of a player he might have turned out to be wearing a Derby Shirt
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old March 7th, 2006, 13:31 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkos
Ive just been scoruing the Therams.co.uk, website and It was interestin that Jim smith was interested in get Eidur Gudjohnsen to Derby before Chelsea bought him. It would have been interesting to see what kinda of a player he might have turned out to be wearing a Derby Shirt

OMG!!!!!!

That would have been awesome, he's one of my favourite players.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old March 7th, 2006, 13:39 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

A look at the 98/99 season, our highest finish in the premiership in 8th, which was fantastic, but I'm affraid I never went too a single game this season

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old March 14th, 2006, 10:27 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

99/00 season then, well after the 8th place finish of the year before, it was down too 16th this season, and really the end of the real good times in the premiership for us.

Looking at the freindlies, we played the USA national team, and Chicago Fire...lost both games.

Looking at the the season, first thing that stands out is an embarassing 5-0 defeat tooSunderland And the 1st game I went too that season, the 1-0 home defeat too Bradford City

We beat Leicester 3-0 at home though, it wasn't a good season, but we did enough too stay up.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old March 14th, 2006, 12:52
Premier Player

Looking at the 98/99 season, This was by far out most successful season, as finish of 8th was absololutly fantastic finish for us!!!. I can remember going to watch us play Chelsea at home me thinks, where I think Tore Andre Flo scored a last minute equaliser for Chelsea

I think the reason for the high finish was, we werent conceding many goals at all, we were winning many games 1-0,2-0, 2-1 etc. I think the football was also brilliant to watch, one of the highlight seasons being a Derby fan. But you could also look upon this season as the downfall, that we are still seeing the effects of today

I think it was mid-season where Steve Mclaren, decieded to go and join Sir Alex at Man U, Now if you like after this, the standard of football just went completely downhill and the team lacked realli creativity and guidance. We could point at this, as the beginning of the downfall from the Premiership!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in