Phil Brown Sacked!! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2006, 22:37 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
Phil Brown Sacked!!

Phil Brown has been sacked by Derby County following an embarrassing defeat in the FA Cup on Saturday, when his side lost to League One's Colchester United, and a poor showing in the Championship.

Brown took over as the man in charge of the Rams in July 2005 after George Burley's sudden departure.

A statement from the club late on Monday evening said: "At a meeting between Phil Brown and the Derby County chairman on Monday evening it was decided that Phil would leave the club.

Phil Brown feels the pressure
"We would like to thank Phil for the time and effort he has given to the job and wish him well for the future.

"There will be an announcement tomorrow (Tuesday) regarding an interim management team that will be in place from this point forward until a new appointment is made."

Speculation over Brown's position was heightened today after he failed to appear at a press conference - assistant Dean Holdsworth replaced him - and, later, he pulled out of a football forum on BBC Radio Five Live.

This season, the Rams have never looked anything like as good as the side which just missed out on promotion to the Premiership at the end of 2004/05.

Currently, the Derby have slumped to the bottom six in the Championship table with only a six-point buffer between themselves and the bottom three.

The ultimate humiliation for Derby County came on Saturday when they lost 3-1 in the FA Cup fourth round to League One side Colchester United.

After that game, Brown vowed not to walk away from his job: "I'm absolutely, 100% committed to this club," said Brown after disgruntled fans called for his head after the final whistle.

"A level of criticism is being aimed at myself and the board but we all have to take responsibility."

Brown admitted his Coca-Cola Championship side, who were thumped 6-1 by Coventry the pervious weekend, did not show the battling qualities required to get through a tricky cup tie at a lower league ground.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I think this was inevitably gonna happen, who know's how we will pay him off, but after two shocking performance's, I think that could have made the board's decesion a lot easier, Now everyone waits anxiously to see what management team is going to be brought in for the rest of the season!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2006, 22:38
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Well, I am not surprised, the pressure was getting on him and the results were not coming in, after you beat Crewe 5-1 you should not follow with 6-1 defeats to Coventry and an embarassing cup loss.

Who will be the new manager?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2006, 22:50 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Who know's, They say there gonna announce a Interim management team tomorrow, which could well mean a return for Jim Smith

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2006, 23:05
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Bloody board, why have they let Brown spend money Ł500 000 on Moore, and brought in Hajto and Silva, too then sack him straight away, that money should have been for a new manager, but with this stupid transfer window any new manager won't even be able to sign anybody.

Even though Brown had too go, the timing is not great, on a monday night, when we have a game on wednesday as well, who's going to be in charge for that??? I can't see us having a new manager by then, and even if we do he won't no the players by kick off time.

So who will be running things, too me it looks like Dean Holdsworth, or Jeff Kenna as player manager, maybe Terry Westley none sound good to me. And say we get a new manager in time, what does he do, turn up on wednesday and the board say alright mate....pick the team then. Too have done this tonight I hope the board already ahve someone for the job, or we'll be in trouble on wednesday, you don't want to be playing Sheff Utd when your in disarray like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2006, 23:06
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkos
Who know's, They say there gonna announce a Interim management team tomorrow, which could well mean a return for Jim Smith
Isn't Smith enjoying his retirement??? I dunno maybe they have him lined up for the interim role, I hope they have someone in line, and it's not as it seems, a decision made out of the blue.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old January 31st, 2006, 12:55
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Holdsworth ahs gone as well, but Poole is still here.

Good luck too Phil in the future, he just wasn't the right man for the job.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old January 31st, 2006, 13:03 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Yeh I just think he wasn't experinced enough, but at the end of they day he was probably the only man willing to take the risk!!!, I reckon he will do a good job with another team tho in the future!!!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old January 31st, 2006, 14:11
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

He should go to a lower league, like League 1 or 2 where he might be effective but I think he was overrated in the first place...just because he was a part of Big Sam's Bolton team doesn't mean he was going to be an automatic success.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2006, 03:07
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Brown's record as Derby manager

33 matches - 7 wins - 14 draws - 12 losses

you know what, if half those draws were wins (which they could have very well been) it wouldn't be so bad
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2006, 11:03
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yeah, and if a few of the early draws had been wins it would have been an amazing start which could have been built on, but it wasn't to be.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2006, 12:47 Thread Starter
Premier Player

To be fair, I think out of our first 9 or 10 games we had only lost twice, and we were up in about 4th postion, which was a pretty good start, but once we drawing we starting to slowly slip down to the table
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2006, 13:42
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
I knew he they would sack him after the colchester result. Like Jimbo said the timimng by the board is a bit strange as they've let him sign in players who for all we know might not feature when the new manger arrives. If they were thinking of sacking Brown for sometime, surely they should have done it a few weeks before transfer deadline.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old February 14th, 2006, 13:00
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Phil Brown has no regrets about his time in charge of Derby County - but was frustrated at not being given longer to prove himself.

Brown was sacked as Rams manager at the end of January following the Rams' 3-1 defeat at Colchester United in the FA Cup fourth round.

"I have got no regrets about my seven months in charge at Derby County and I am grateful for being given the chance," said Brown, making his first public comments since leaving the Rams in a national radio interview last night.

"When I took the job I knew the financial circumstances and I was quite willing to work under the constraints.

"The only disappointment was that I thought I would be given more time.

"The start to the year was up and down because we beat Crewe 5-1 and knocked Burnley out of the FA Cup. But then we lost 6-1 at Coventry City and a result like that always puts more pressure on a manager.

"We were beaten at Colchester in our next game and I don't envy anyone taking them on at the moment, because they are flying.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in