Derby County 11 (90's onwards) - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2005, 22:47 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Derby County 11 (90's onwards)

This is something I've thought about many times, me, Durkos, steel neil and other have talked about it in the pub, I've thought about starting this thread before (when I'm sciving at work like I was today ) and I'm finally getting round to it.

The best Derby County 11....now we're all young lads on here, so we can't remember the days of Hector, Mcfarland, Todd, George, Carter, Bloomer etc... so it's no good talking about them, so I'll be looking at players who we've seen/can remember so from the 90's untill present day, I'll put down who I think should be in it, and then others can put there's in...

And then MAYBE we can together agree on the best 11, though when we did this in the pub it got a bit messy, and we gave up

So then

Goalkeeper

Mart Poom - POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM is the man for me. mAYBE lEE cAMP????

Right Back

No-one really stands out for me, Gary Rowett was quite good.

Centre Backs

Igor Stimacs gotta be in there, Paul Mcgrath, Mark Wright, Chris Riggott and Danny Higgingbotham maybe worth a mention as well.

Left Back

Chris Powell I reckon, former player of the year and made the subs bench of an all time derby team (which I'll post later)

Midfielders

Any positions in there, well Alijosa Asanovic has gotta be in it, he's the only modern player to get in the all time starting 11 I mentioned.

Robin Van Der Laan as well, What about Idiakez, Tommy Smith on the wing? Seth Johnson as well back for his 2nd spell. Kinkladze, not quite like his City days with us, but he could still turn it on.

Everyone's favourite comentator Ted Mcmin, Paul Simpson and Stefano Eranio as well.

Forwards

Dean Saunders springs to mind straight away, as does Dean Sturridge. Francesco Baiano and Paulo Wanchope as well. Malcolm Christie. Rasiak might have only been a short stay, but it had been a while since we had a striker bang in 17 goals in a season.

Well there;s some names to think about, there's probably others especially from the early 90's, I'll try and put up what would be my 11 tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2005, 22:49 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Here's that all time Derby 11 I was on about

Colin Boulton

Ron Webster - Roy McFarland - Colin Todd - David Nish

Aljosa Asanovic - Archie Gemmil - Alan Hinton

Charlie George

Kevin Hector - Steve Bloomer

Mart Poom
Chris Powell
Igor Stimac
Robin van der Laan
Francesco Baiano

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2005, 22:51
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
we should do a "Worst 11" soon too, unfourtunately that would be very easy and we could make 4-5 teams

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2005, 22:53 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit
we should do a "Worst 11" soon too, unfourtunately that would be very easy and we could make 4-5 teams
Your right, we've had some shyte, would be a good laugh as well.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2005, 23:37
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
Right ok, ill start with me 90 onwards team

Goalkeeper

It would have to be Poom, with Shilton on the Bench

Defence

Erm in terms of full backs, I would have to go with Rowett and possibly Chris Powell because they are full-backs I have seen play in the flesh, I would'nt put either Nicholson or Kavangh in there. Centre backs there is no arguement, Mark Wright and Igor Stimca all the way for me

Midfield

Hmmmmm, I think this is by far the toughest one, because we have been graced by some talented midfielders since the 90s. I don't think I could put in players like Mcminn, because I aint seen him play. So i would go with Eranio, Van Der Laan, Asanjovic and Idiakez. Suprisingly no English players in that midfield there.

Forwards

As Jimbo said, Saunders springs to my mind, but then I would argue that our most successful striker in the 90s was Sturrridge, also Baiano, Wanchope could be added to that list. Also Christie was a good forward whilst playing for us. Just recently Rasiak, had made a big impact with his 17 goal season, last year. He could have a been a prominant striker for us.

In terms of a team Jimbo, I will have to think about it
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2005, 10:26 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

I'm goona try and stick to an 11, but it is bloody hard.

Mart Poom

Gary Rowett - Igor Stimac - Mark Wright - Chris Powell

Stefano Eranio - Aljosa Asanovic - Inigo Idiakez

Francesco Baiano

Dean Saunders - Dean Sturridge

Well there's an 11, though I'm already disagreeing with myself on some of the selections

I think the keeper and the back 4, is probably spot on, it's harder picking the midfield and forwards, I don't think many people would leave Van Der Laan out for a start.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2005, 13:55
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
Good old Jimbo, i was waiting for a you to post a thread on this.

I'll start off with the good old 90's 11.

Goalkeeper

It's got to be the and only Mart Poom. People might say "well what about Shilton, he was england goalie" lets just remember that Shilton was ending his career when he came to us, and when we had Poom he was in his prime. another reason for putting Poom in is because every time he came out to catch the ball from a corner, you never doubted him, you know one way or another he'd always make it his. I always felt the defence and i was more confident about Derby when Poom was in goal, unlike when Hoult was in goal and i would be shit#ing my pants everytime a ball came near him.

Left Back

Chris Powell by a mile. Can't remember him putting a foot wrong in his time at Derby, and a firm fans favourite who gave it his all in every game he played in.

Right Back

Three players spring to mind in this position. Gary Rowett who has been mention, and also Jacob Laursen. Always remember Laursen's free kick against Man Utd from bloody miles out, maybe he should be in the team just for that.
Also people seem to have forgot about Gary Charles, a good solid full back who move onto supposely greater things at Aston Villa.
I think Rowett just egdes it for me as he was in our promtion winning team and plus Laursen also played centre back for us so Rowett was more an out and out right back, and was a great servant to the club.

Central Defence

The first name that should be on everyone's team sheet is this man Igor Stimac. Loved by everyone involed at the club. The guy was just so calm on the ball and nothing seemed to trouble him, was one of the most commanding centre backs i've seen. I think i'll also have to go with Mark Wright to partner Stimac in the defence. Although i never actaully saw Wright in the flesh, from what i've seen on videos, he was a brilliant certe back and of cause, all those England caps he won ain't done him any harm.
Lets not forget of cause the great Paul McGrath and also Craig Short who many seem to have forgot.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2005, 21:15 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Paul Mcgrath, played 26 games for Derby, and got in Gerald Mortimer's 100 greatest Derby players (a dvd which has just come out, that I might have to buy)

Good old Neil, I knew you would come up with a few I had Forgotten

Gary Charles, who sadly is in trouble for beating someone up in a taxi place in Derby, he's been in trouble before as well...on a brighter note I saw him at a restaurant once

Jacob Laursen, good centre back who could hit a good free kick, surprised I forgot about him. Craig Short was a good centre back as well.

Like I thought, we agree on the back 4 and Keeper, the interesting bit is too come though I think

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2005, 21:16
Premier Player

Here we go:

Mart Poom

Gary Rowett - Mark Wright - Igor Stimac - Chris Powell

Stefano Eranio - Inigo Idiakez - Robin Van Der Laan - Aljois Asanaovic

Dean Saunders - Dean Sturridge

Bench -

Francesco Baiano
Tommy Johnson
Jacob Laursen
Peter Shilton
Paulo Wanchope

That is still up for debate though, I would no doubt chop and change myself, but I don't think you can have a proper fixed team from the 90s onwards
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2005, 21:21 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Was gonna mention Johnson but forgot, and Gabbiadini.

The problem is, leaving one of Baiano, Eranio, Van Der Laan, or even Sturridge or Saunders out, I would say your 11 with Baiano is the best 12, it's just deciding who you leave out, I left out Van Der Laan, while you left out Baiano.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2005, 13:46
Premier Player

i did do the midfield but the internet buggered up before i could post it. I wrote quite a bit and make some jokes about Sean Flynn and Darryl Powell. Can't be arsed to rewrite it so i'll just put my 3 man midfield

Asanovic, Eranio and Paul Simpson

Asaonvic because he was an absolutle vital part of the first season in the prem, Eranio because he linked up brillantly with Baiano and Wanchope and was a delight to watch, And Paul Simpson because he gave 100% every game, and was a great striker of a ball and because he was my favourite player when i was younger. Can't belive people have forgotten about Simmo.

Honourable mentions:
Robin Van Der Laan
Darryl Powell (I ain't joking, i always thought he gave his best for the rams)
Inigo Idiakez
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2005, 15:06 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Speaking to Gibbo about this walking to the game yesterday, he said it was a disgrace I didn't have Simpson in the team Very doubtful we will ever agree on a midfield then.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old December 28th, 2005, 15:32
Premier Player

I forgot to do my strikers, so here it goes.

Francesco Baiano in behind the strikers. Good old "Ciccio" very skifull player, had two great seasons then, well i can't remeber what happnened with him to be honest.

Dean Sturridge, The man scored 20 goals and was one of the main reasons we got promoted. Still can't see why he gest a bad reception when he returns to the club. Okay, the guy went to Lecister, but he wasn't a first team player when he left and was really that effective for Lecister.

Dean Saunders. Although i never really saw him play, his record for us speaks for itself and from past videos that i watch he seemed like the main source of goals the team in the early 90's.

Hounarable mentions:

Tommy Johnson
Marco Gabbiadini
Paul Kitson
Ron Willems
Ashley Ward (Couldn't really see why he was sold to Barnsley, then replaced by a "Argentian" who played one game, scored, then buggered off)
Paulo Wanchope
Rasiak
Malcom Christie
Branko Strupar
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old December 28th, 2005, 19:18
Premier Player

I have a photo with Furetes, before he got deported back to Argentina, when I was mascot vs Bolton in the cup, I wonder how much it will be worth?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in