Roller Coaster First Half - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2005, 10:46 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Roller Coaster First Half

When asked for a word to sum up the first half of his first season as manager of Derby County, Phil Brown sat back in his chair and looked up at the ceiling before gazing down at his desk to find the answer.

There in front of him sat a set of notes from a presentation he had given to his players titled "Managing the Uncertainty".

"Uncertain is the word I would use," said Brown who became the Rams' fourth manager in less than four years when he took over the hot seat at the end of June.

Five League games unbeaten at the start left him wondering what all the fuss was about when it came to management.

He soon discovered the other side of the coin when a nightmare sequence of one win in 15 piled on the pressure. The hot seat had burst into flames but these have been partly extinguished by a mini revival of four matches undefeated.

This has left Brown's team 14th in the Championship with 26 points from five wins and 11 draws.

A mixed bag, then, of disappointments but also some promise of better days ahead.

"All the uncertainty has been the most difficult part of the job so far," said Brown.

"The uncertainty that the supporters have in me and the uncertainty that the directors have had in me because I am new to management.

"You have to win people's confidence and instil your methods on the football club.

"There was also the uncertainty of the loan signings coming in and also because we have had 16 debutants and used 30-odd players already this season."

Brown has endured a tough baptism.

He had only a matter of weeks to rebuild the squad and assemble a new backroom team before the season kicked off.

He then lost key striker Grzegorz Rasiak hours before the transfer window slammed shut - a huge blow.

Rasiak was the focal point of the attack, whether in a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 system, and he has not be replaced despite numerous forwards arriving on loan.

Brown has been forced to use the emergency loan system but has done so too often. Most of the new faces have been no better than the players already here.

The aim now is to make permanent signings in January in a bid to give the team and squad a more settled look.

Brown believes the past few months has given him a valuable grounding.

"I'm sure it will help me in years to come," he added. "Next time I hit a run of one win in 15 - and hopefully it will not happen again - I can call on the experience of having been through it before."

The roller Tcoaster ride has taken him from the high of his first win as manager - a 2-0 success at Plymouth in August - and plunged him to the lowest point, a 3-0 home mauling by Wolves.

Was there any stage when he considered walking away?

"No, never would be," said Brown. "I have seen some managers walk away from situations and I wondered why but that's life and everybody is different.

"I'm sure the highs and lows will be ongoing. It is a never-ending jigsaw."

Having reached the halfway point of the season, Brown is expecting comparisons with the teams of George Burley and even John Gregory in recent campaigns.

For the record, Brown is behind the pace being set by Burley's side 12 months ago but ahead of where Burley's side were in 2003-04.

Green shoots of recovery can be seen, though he will need to manage more uncertainty next month when new players arrive and others possibly depart.

"Players coming in will have to get to know me, the coaching and backroom staff, the other players and the club, so there could be a bit more uncertainty," said Brown. "Hopefully, amid all that, is a platform to move forward.

"The play-offs would be a lovely achievement. How far away is that? A long way away at the moment but we just want to get into January with a platform from which we can push on."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2005, 10:57 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

The end of the Preston game saw us at exactly the half way stage for the season.

So what do we think of the season so far???

Personally I would have liked probably 4 more points, so we're not even looking over our shoulder at the relegation zone, and a bit closer to the play offs. But all in all we're in mid table where I expected us too be, I didn't think we were too likely to make the play offs again even with Burley still in charge, and lets not forget how big a blow losing Rasiak was, our top scorer is a midfielder with 6 goals 4 of which I think we're penalties, which he doesn't take anymore after missing 2 in a row, and he hasn't scoredsince 9 games ago. And that is our main problem, we have 4 strikers 3 of which are short term loans, we need to find a striker in January hopefully Brown can find somebody.

The season can still go either way, a good 2nd half to the season and we could make the play offs, at the same time a bad second half to the season and we could go down, all is still too play for.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2005, 17:49
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
At the halfway point already?, the first half of the season went almighty quick

I think that every Derby realised that we over-achieved last year, apart from me (that's why I put a bet on with my college tutor, but we will leave that until a rainy day) I think the new style of management will take time, for the players to adjust to. I also think that the fan's have to back both the player's and manager in this current situation, althought I can't say the same for the board, who are bunch of Idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I also think we have missed Rasiak immensley, we still lack a constant goal-scoring threat upfront. I would try anything to get Rasiak back online this year, because this system that Brown is operating is perfect for him.

In terms of the 2nd half of the season, I honestly don't know how it well pan out at all, it really depends i believe how we do over christmas, if we can do well then hopefully we can push on for the rest of the season.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2005, 19:21
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
I am slightly disappointed because I thought we'd be better than this, especially after making some good loan signings. Losing Rasiak and Hudds was a blow and only the board is to be blamed.

I think Phil Brown is the best option we can have right now
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old December 14th, 2005, 10:25 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkos
At the halfway point already?, the first half of the season went almighty quick
Tell me about it, I was a bit shocked when I read that article, seems like only the other week, we we're playing Brighton at home on the opening day of the season.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old December 14th, 2005, 10:30 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

I think things are starting to take shape, the defence has been a big problem, but now with Jackson, Davies, Nyatanga and Edworthy at the back we look much better, as long as we keep them all fit, we should be alright, the midfield is as good as any in the division we have no worries there, but before Rasiak came we we're a goalscorer short of a promotion team, since he's gone we've had the same problem, and players like Rasiak aren't found on free transfers very often, that's why he's proving so hard to replace.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in