Ot: 4-5-1 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2005, 20:08 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Ot: 4-5-1

The reason I put OT (off-topic) on this is because I see a lot of English teams use this formation lately! why has this happened? It's not only Derby County who uses this formation and its causing some disappointing play in all the English leagues and it looks like the supporters don't want to watch anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:54
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
I thought we played it really well last season, Rasiak up there on his own, could play the loan striker roles, Smith & Bisgaard we're very lively on the wings, and Idiakez pulled the strings from the middle. And I saw some of the best most exciting football I have seen from a Derby County team, with that formation.

BUT....

This season is a diferent story, we have no Rasiak anymore, and if you don't have someone who is very good and can play up there on his own very well, the system just does not work. Now that teams know about Smith and Bisgaard they are being more closely marked, and not getting the space they got last season, and Idiakez seems to be playing very deep, and not in good form, I thought he was awful against Southampton, but made up for it with his 2 set pieces, also at the Soton game, Derby fans were chanting FOUR - FOUR -TWO, letting it be known what the fans want to see.

4-5-1 doesn't have to mean boring and defensive, but it seems that's the way teams are playing it, at the moment. I hope we change to 4-4-2 soon. As for the boring premiership, well that can stay boring, I don't watch it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2005, 18:54
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
The 4-5-1 formation is properly used by nearly every team in the country, with Chelsea being the main users of this formation.

But like jimbo was sayin it worked absolute wonders away from home last season, because of having one of the best strikers in the league in Rasiak, who was tall, had a nice touch, and could the hold up the ball and with smith and bisgarrd and both flanks, proving to potent threats, this formation worked really well, especially on the counter-attack.

This season, we simply do not have a "Rasiak" type of player who can play in this loan role effectively, as we saw on saturday Stern John was no-way i think capable of playin up there on his own, i wouldn't mind seein el hamdoui having a go up there on saturday but we will have to wait and see what phil brown has to say about that.

Looking at in a more wider context, i think the simple ansewr is teams are so afraid of dropping points nowadays, through the threat of relegation, teams are willingily, i think going into games, looking for a draw first, then if they score, holding out for the win. This 4-5-1 formation really does say to the neutral fan, that the team's mentallity is gonna be defensive, look at the Liverpool vs Manchester United game, last weekend, potentially, one of the games of the season. It turned out to be one of the dullest games i've seen in a while. I know this is off the subject a bit, i want to say this, when Chelsea played West Brom earlier this season, West Brom actually rested players, because they knew they were gonna lose. Well all i say is if any team in the League adopts that kind of mentallity, well i think theres something very wrong within the game of Football in England

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2005, 22:43
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkos

, when Chelsea played West Brom earlier this season, West Brom actually rested players, because they knew they were gonna lose. Well all i say is if any team in the League adopts that kind of mentallity, well i think theres something very wrong within the game of Football in England
Yeah we was talking about this at work the other day, the funny thing is the team who have come closest to getting something of Chelsea and probably deserved something is Wigan, who just went out there and had a go, if your going to lose at least have a go.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2005, 22:48 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

what happened to the days when in English footie it was 11 guys just running around like crazy with no positions, your looking like Serie A right now p
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2005, 22:49
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

You'll have to go watch Forest in League 1 for that

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2005, 22:51 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I haven't watched much of the EPL this season (in America its mostly EPL on TV if they ever show it) but a few seasons ago the games involved no tactics what so ever, none of this lets go for a 0-0 draw, it was two teams just running around like crazy, you saw defenders in the other teams penalty box, now we are seeing all these 1-0 games.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2005, 22:58
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yeah it's the hot topic at the moment, 'has the premiership gone boring' and the answers simply Yes. I never used to miss a Match of the Day on saturday night's and if I did, I would watch the repeat sunday morning. But I haven't watched it once this season, and as for sitting through 90 minutes of it......no thanks.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2005, 18:55
Premier Player

Teams: Crystal Palace, Sampdoria
4-5-1 is shit. I know, I watched palace play it for a whole season.I'd rather AJ had scored fewer and the team had scored more. We might have stayed up .
Match of the day, I've not watched it at all this season either, or any live sky EPL footie for that matter.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2005, 11:46
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

4-5-1 can be attacking, but most teams who play it, play it defesively, if we play it at Elland Road on Wednesday, I will do my nut. It's no good changing to 4-4-2 when your losing, the damage is already done.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2005, 22:01 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

also Phil Brown was Big Sam's assistant for so many seasons and Derby's play is similar to Bolton's, 4-5-1, long balls, hope for 1-0 wins even at home
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2005, 22:06
Welcome To Jamrock
World Class Player

Teams: West Ham
4-5-1 formations are so boring and dull to watch, I think the best tactics to use is a 4-1-3-2 :notlist:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousTurk
This website is an absolute joke. The only explanation in you giving Bilica a higher rating then Lugano is that you're border line retarded. Every single chance Diyarbakir had was due to a Bilica error. What a waste of webspace this is, Bilica has been absolute garbage since he's arrived and this was probably his single worst performance. You're a true idiot.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 00:04
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie
4-5-1 formations are so boring and dull to watch, I think the best tactics to use is a 4-1-3-2 :notlist:
I'll say it again, 4-5-1 doesn't have to mean boring, it depends how you play it, and who you've got playing.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 00:05
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit
also Phil Brown was Big Sam's assistant for so many seasons and Derby's play is similar to Bolton's, 4-5-1, long balls, hope for 1-0 wins even at home
We don't play like Bolton we do get the ball down and play, we just give the other team 1 or 2 goals head start before we get going

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 04:33 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

well you would know better because you actually watch the matches p
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 05:41
Premier Player

Teams: Nottingham Forest, Roma,Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo jones
we just give the other team 1 or 2 goals head start before we get going
just keep doing that.

"John Robertson was a very unattractive young man. If, one day, I was feeling a bit off colour, I would sit next to him. I was bloody Errol Flynn compared to him, but give him a yard of grass and he was an artist. The Picasso of our game"

Brian Clough
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 05:44
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo jones
You'll have to go watch Forest in League 1 for that

no comments.

"John Robertson was a very unattractive young man. If, one day, I was feeling a bit off colour, I would sit next to him. I was bloody Errol Flynn compared to him, but give him a yard of grass and he was an artist. The Picasso of our game"

Brian Clough
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 11:59
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit
well you would know better because you actually watch the matches p

There are times when we look like Bolton, with the big hoof, that's when Jeff Kenna gets the ball, or Andy Davies, but he's a big centre back, that's what they do.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 13:25
Premier Player

like everyonbe else i am bored with EPL football this season. but apart from the 4-5-1 system, IMO, lack of quality strikers (specially young ones) is also a factor. That is why the likes of Sherringham (he is almost forty, isn't he) or Cole are looking so impressive. I don't think 20 ago, a player in the caliber of peter Crouch would have made it into the reserve team at Anfield. now, he is their main striker. Spurs have four 'star' strikers, Defoe, Keane, Mido and Rasiak, but for me, only Defoe is EPL class, and even he is overrated. Arsenal can't find a replacement for Henry (ja, it is difficult, but at least someone should have filled in the shoes for a short period), instead they are looking to Sol for goals. Even Chelsea depends heavily on its mid-fielders for the gooals. Drogba has scored a few goals, but there is no way he is worth the money that was paid for him. Everywhere there is lack quality strikers.

Brian Clough
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2005, 13:28
Premier Player

as for derby, they are always borin, no matter what system they play.

Brian Clough

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in