Rasiak Truth revealed - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2005, 11:34 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Rasiak Truth revealed

BBC Radio Derby has learned that Derby County were forced to sell Grzegorz Rasiak after pressure from Co-Op bank - even though the chairman and chief executive said that wasn't the case.

The club is 40m in debt - much of which is owed to Co-op - and was told by the bank early in August it had until the end of the month to raise a million pounds toward paying off the debt.

After discussions, the board came up with a first option of selling England Under-21 goalkeeper Lee Camp.
See also
audio Jeremy Keith talks to BBC Radio Derby >
Audio and Video links on this page require Realplayer
Rams Talk: Have Your Say >

Murdo Mackay was instructed to find a buyer for the keeper but in the end, he wasn't sold.

With pressure still being put on the club to raise the million, the sale of Derby's player of the season, Inigo Idiakez, was an option.

However director of football Murdo Mackay took the view that in the short to medium term, Idiakez was irreplaceable.

The club needed an alternative and finance director Andrew Mackenzie instead recommended selling Polish striker Grzegorz Rasiak.

It now appears when Rasiak signed for the Rams, the intention was to keep the striker at the club for a short period and that any transfer fee they could get for him would be a bonus.

It became clear that he could be the player who would bring in the 1m the club needed and Andrew Mackenzie recommended to the board that they should seek to get at least 2m for Rasiak and try to 'engineer' an offer of around that sort of figure.

As we now know, Rasiak was sold to Tottenham Hotspur on the evening of transfer deadline day for a fee said to be up to 2m.

But when questioned after the move both chairman John Sleightholme and chief executive Jeremy Keith denied that the sale had been down to financial pressure.

They said the player wanted to leave - particularly after he got wind of potential interest from Spurs and a move to the Premiership.

But it now seems a lot clearer that the reason other clubs had become interested in Rasiak was because, with the full knowledge of Derby County, they were being made aware that he was up for sale.

Co-Op's desperation to get the money back was down to the fact that the club had made promises to the bank which they had then failed to deliver on.

These included:

* A tax scheme which was supposedly going to raise 7m.
* a promise that the club would live with player wages of 5m last year.
* a promise that the club would live with player wages of 3m this year - though that figure was subsequently changed to 5m.
* a promise of 2m from the sale of players last year which, despite the sale of Tom Huddlestone to Tottenham, didn't happen.

It's difficult to see what lies ahead for the club, though a payment of 1m doesn't get anywhere near paying off the club's overall debt.

Idiakez has signed a new extended deal but it's believed by at least one of the board members that he may well ask for further improved contract terms before Christmas -a belief accompanied by a frank assessment of the Spaniard's motivation.

Speaking on BBC Radio Derby, chief executive Jeremy Keith defended himself against allegations he had misled supporters after the sale.

He said: "The line of questioning was that the bank had told the football club to sell a player and I was not prepared to make the bank be seen to be the villain of the piece.

"The board went to the bank last season and asked for support in our push for promotion.

"We assured the bank that we would bring our house in order over the summer so the bank were well within their rights to remind us of the undertaking we had made to them.

"The bank left it to the board to decide how we chose to raise the money."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2005, 11:37 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Well...... most Derby fans realise the bank will be putting pressure on the board to sell players to raise money, what I can't understand is why, the board deny the bank put pressure on them when they do sell. They keep lying like this, and that is why people don't trust anything they say.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2005, 12:31
Rising Star

I wonder if this situation had anything to do with George Burley leaving, seems likely to me.

Saw an interview with Burley last night, sounds like he could have jumped out of the frying pan into the fire, with the Hearts chairman bringing in his own players, still better than selling them against your wishes

Last edited by jim08; September 16th, 2005 at 14:44.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2005, 13:39 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

I'm 100% sure it's part of the reason he left, but there's probably other reasons too.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2005, 14:29
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
The board don't seem to have a clue what they are doing, when the transfer window opens everyone will be waiting to see who is sold now, as they will expect someone to go.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2005, 14:41
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
I think the board are an absolute disgrace!!!, the thing that upsets me the most, is they way they have continuously lied to us, bout the way the club has run, ever since they have taken over, and the whole Rasiak situation jus makes me even more angry, because the board contiunsly assured us that tha bank were not forcing us to sell any of our players, and now the "truth" has come out, we are now told that the bank were forcing us to sell one of our players

I think we need a board, who needs to start telling the truth. Im keepin my fingers crossed that some potential byers, are waiting in the wings
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2005, 14:54 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

The problem is, who will want to buy the club when we are in so much debt, they will need to be Roman Abromovich rich. If the club went inot administartion and the debts were cleared, buyers would be more likely to appear, but that would mean a 10 point penalty, which we may not be able to afford... for either costing us a chance of promotion, or getting us relegated. Also we don't know what that would mean to the clubs assets like Pride Park and Moor Farm. I've heard the co-op bank will get Pride Park if we go into admin, we can't be left without a ground.

It's all too confusing and frustrating for me, I've just about had enough of it, we're only in the 2nd mont of this season and already people are saying there not renewing season tickets for next season, if the current board are still in charge. Mainly because of one of there other lies....saying that season ticket money, will be matched by them and given to the manager for signings.

Paul Thirwell is the only player we have signed, and we don;t know how much for because the board won't tell us.

It would be so nice too only have to worry about the performance of the team, rather than all this other stuff for a change.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old September 16th, 2005, 09:47 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

The Board (Jeremy Kieth) has been defending it self over, over many issues including the sale of Rasiak. I've read quite a lot of stuff this morning, the thing is I just don't trust them at all anymore.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old September 17th, 2005, 11:36 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

An article in the paper from a frustrated Phil Brown, about all the off-field nonsense going on.

-------------------------

The fall-out from the sale of Grzegorz Rasiak continues with Derby County manager Phil Brown revealing his disappointment at not being the club's "one voice" on football matters.

Brown also feels the continual off-the-field unrest surrounding the Rams is not helping the players.

They are preparing to face Southampton in the Championship at Pride Park tomorrow but the build-up to the game has again been overshadowed by talk of finances, protests and accusations that chief executive Jeremy Keith has misled the fans.

It was claimed this week that the sale of Rasiak to Tottenham Hotspur was down to financial pressures, something the club had previously denied.

Keith, who denies the accusations levelled at him, did admit that 1m had to be repaid to the Co-op Bank by the end of August but described suggestions that the bank told them to sell Rasiak as "absolute nonsense".

The club is understood to have considered selling goalkeeper Lee Camp or Spanish midfielder Inigo Idiakez before Rasiak was sold.

When Brown took over the Pride Park hot-seat in late June he demanded to be the lone voice on football at the club and says the board of directors agreed with that. He feels this has not been the case and is disappointed.

"For whatever reason, I haven't been allowed to be that one voice," he said.

"People have their own agendas why they will not allow me to be that one voice and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it.

"I think what is happening off-the-field is affecting the players. There is talk in the dressing room about stuff that is coming out in the press.

"However, my focus will remain with the football team and I will protect the players as much as I can.

"If individuals' names come out in the press and that affects performances, then whoever mentions those individuals' names has to take responsibility for performances. I think that the manager should be the only one who has to take responsibility for performances.

"I'm responsible for bringing players into the club and therefore I am responsible for picking the right team. If the performance is poor, then I understand that people will give the manager stick.

"I am prepared to take that flak but unless this football club has one voice, we cannot go forward."

Brown says two or three players have knocked on his office door this week following reports in the press.

"They have come to see me through no fault of their own and no fault of mine, and I have had to deal with it as manager," he said.

Some supporters are looking to step up their "board out" protest at the Southampton game. Protests at the last two matches against Crewe and Coventry City were barely visible.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old September 17th, 2005, 11:55
Premier Player

Teams: Nottingham Forest, Roma,Italy
if things continue to go in this way, then 3 or 4 years from now Notts county will become the biggest club in East Midland.

"John Robertson was a very unattractive young man. If, one day, I was feeling a bit off colour, I would sit next to him. I was bloody Errol Flynn compared to him, but give him a yard of grass and he was an artist. The Picasso of our game"

Brian Clough
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old September 17th, 2005, 14:50 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartle
if things continue to go in this way, then 3 or 4 years from now Notts county will become the biggest club in East Midland.

Still, I'd rather they were than Leicester

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2005, 10:07
Premier Player

have seen Rasiak play couple of games for Spurs. have to say, he doesn't look EPL material to me. May be he will return to the lower deivisions very soon, may be to Derby, or may be somewhere else.

"John Robertson was a very unattractive young man. If, one day, I was feeling a bit off colour, I would sit next to him. I was bloody Errol Flynn compared to him, but give him a yard of grass and he was an artist. The Picasso of our game"

Brian Clough
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2005, 11:12 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Thing with Rasiak is, he is a goal scorer, he didn't look good for us this season, but still scored 2 goals in 5? games. He also went throuhg spells of a few games where he didn't do much, but then he would score every game for about 5 games, if you give him a good run he will get you goals, but he probably won't get that at Spurs.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2005, 11:06
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo jones
Thing with Rasiak is, he is a goal scorer,
ja, that b****** scored couple of times against us at city ground last season.

Brian Clough
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2005, 11:13 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

and 2 at Pride Park

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2005, 13:37
Rising Star

Burley's left Hearts now, god this man must have some strong principles to walk out of two clubs he revived in the space of a few months, obviously doesn't like interfering chairman. He's got my respect though
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2005, 20:17 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

he left both clubs cuz he couldn't keep his cock in his trousers.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in