Holdsworth confirmed as Browns assistant - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2005, 16:12 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Holdsworth confirmed as Browns assistant

Dean Holdsworth arrives at
Derby County as manager Phil Brown's number two having enjoyed a long and fruitful playing career.

He began as an apprentice with Watford in 1986 but could never nail down a regular place at Vicarage Road and was sent out on loan spells at Carlisle United, Port Vale, Swansea City and Brentford.

His time with Brentford was enough to persuade the Bees to splash out 125,000 and in three years he more than repaid their faith with a tremendous record of 75 goals in just 138 games.

Holdsworth's move to the top-flight came in July 1992 when he joined Wimbledon, as they were then known, ahead of the start of the inaugural Premiership season, for a fee of 720,000.

His five years at Selhurst Park elevated him to legendary status and he was a part of the squad that defied all odds to not only consistently perform at the highest level, but also reached the semi-finals of both the FA Cup and the League Cup in 1996/97.

After 76 goals in 208 games for the Dons he became Bolton Wanderers' 3.5m signing shortly after they moved into the plush surroundings of their new Reebok Stadium, where he became a colleague of current Rams boss Phil Brown.

That first season ended in relegation disappointment but Holdsworth was a key member of the squad that reached the semi-final of the FA Cup as a Division One side in 1999/2000, before the following year the talismanic striker helped guide the Trotters back to the Premiership via the play-offs.

A loan spell at Coventry City followed in 2002 and after 49 goals for Bolton in 186 games, he completed a free transfer move to the Sky Blues before leaving them in March 2003 and helping Rushden and Diamonds to the Division Three championship.

In the summer of 2003 he was on the move again and back to his spiritual home, but he wasn't able to prevent Wimbledon from dropping out of Division One at the end of the 2003/04 campaign.

That proved the end of his professional career after 214 goals in 632 games, and he moved into non-league football with Havant and Waterlooville as well as taking over as chairman of the Professional Footballers' Association.

Holdsworth became player/assistant manager in February this year and scored 33 goals in helping the Hawks to promotion to Nationwide Conference South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2005, 16:13 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Not exactly overwhelmed with the appointment, but I suppose we should give the guy a chance. We could have done with someone with lots of experience to help Brown out though.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2005, 20:42
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
like jimbo says, im not elated with this appoinment, his previous club havant and waterlooville, jus narrowly avoided relegation in conference south last year lol, and that doesnt exaclty overthrill me with joy
but on the other hand, he seems positive and very confident in his abilities, lets just see where this appointment takes us, i have a funny feeling we are building something good here

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2005, 11:17 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

When I told Neil it could be Holdsworth the other day, he never stopped laughing for about 10 minutes. Now he's been appointed I wonder if he's crying lol

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2005, 12:41
Star Player

a dark day for football in Havant. fcuk Waterlooville

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in