Lewin Nyatanga signs profesional terms - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2005, 10:17 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Lewin Nyatanga signs profesional terms

Teen star Lewin Nyatanga has capped a memorable week by signing professional forms with the Rams - on his 17th birthday.

The young defender became Wales under-21s' youngest ever captain 48 hours earlier when he took the skipper's armband for the second half of his side's 3-1 win over Malta.

A two-year Rams deal sees Lewin follow Lionel Ainsworth and Giles Barnes from the Academy into the senior set-up.

"I couldn't have asked for a better birthday present," says the Academy product. "To captain an international side and sign a professional contract with the Rams has made it an incredible few days for me."

Now the Burton-born starlet is looking to kick on and build on his first senior appearance - against Birmingham at Pride Park during the pre-season campaign.

"To be turning out against a Premiership side was quite an experience. Now I have a taste for senior action and it has given me something to work towards.

"I've never wanted to play for any other club," adds Lewin. "There's such a great spirit among the Academy lads and throughout the training set-up at Derby and it's a real privilege to sign.

"There are plenty of young, quality players here - the likes of Lionel Ainsworth and Giles Barnes signed contracts recently - and I know there are more who will go on to make the grade because the standard is so high."

Lewin Nyatanga

Lewin won rave reviews of Academy manager Terry Westley, boss Phil Brown and Wales under-21 coach Brian Flynn after the match against Malta at Llanelli. Flynn was impressed enough to hand him the captain's armband for the second half.

The compliment came after the 6ft 2in player became Wales' youngest under-21 player in history at 16 years and 174 days when he joined the action as a second-half substitute against Germany at Wrexham in February.

"Brian Flynn showed real faith in me and gave me the confidence to believe in myself. It's the same at Derby: they believe in me and now it's up to me to repay that faith by proving I am worthy of a place in the senior side."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2005, 10:21 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

I saw him come on as a sub against Birmingham, in the freindly and he didn't look great, but it's not fair too judge on that, as the whole team played badly, and were outclasses by a good side on the day. Only 17, we keep on bringing these youngsters through, Huddlestone, Holmes, Barnes, Nyatanga, Doyle, in the last few years. All you need is one (Huddlestone) to catch the eye of a premiership side, in every group which comes through, and it's a good money maker.

Long may it continue!

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2005, 20:44
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
Ive never herd of this lad, but from reading about him he sounds a really promisin prospect?, but then again in the end, the reality if hes that good, no doubt some premiership teams, will be sniffin around him, n probably snag him in the end!!, lerts hope we can see him put on a derby shirt for a long time

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2005, 11:14 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Apparently he played for Allstars (Dave Hewells team) but that was after you and Neil used to play for them.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in