LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2005, 11:08 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Time Called on Rams Reserves

Time called on Rams Reserves

By Steve Nicholson

Derby County have scrapped their reserve team on the eve of the new season.

They have defended the decision to withdraw from the Premier Reserve League, saying it is in the best interests of the club's young players, who could be asked to play about 70 games a season.

The Rams were due to kick off their campaign at Southampton tonight and have been fined 7,000 by the League for their stance.

Manager Phil Brown said the decision to pull out was not taken lightly.

"A number of our younger players like Lee Holmes, Giles Barnes, Lewin Nyatanga and Nathan Doyle have been involved in first-team, reserve, international and youth football, while being expected to follow full technical and educational programmes," he said.

"Some of these youngsters played more than 60 games last season and, as a result of the various demands on their time in respect of match preparation and travelling, we are concerned they may miss out on valuable technical coaching.

"We have a duty of care to these young players. Their welfare is of utmost importance for their development and the continued effectiveness of the academy structure."

Academy manager Terry Westley said a number of under-15 players turned out for the reserves last season and it not the best way to nurture young talent.

"Our view is that we wish to focus on providing the most appropriate grade of football for our academy lads rather than forcing them into the position of helping us fulfil reserve team fixtures," Westley added.

An FA Premier League spokesman said they understood the Rams' reasons but remain disappointed that they could not have made the decision earlier. He said: "We appreciate that now is better than when the season is underway and all the factors were taken into account when deciding the level of fine, which is 7,000,"

Rams director of football Murdo Mackay said the decision was not a reflection of the set up or standard of the Reserve League.

"We have the utmost respect for the competition, the decision was taken purely in the best interests of Derby County and our young players," said Mackay.

Derby's operations director, Paul Clouting, said there is an option to return to the Premier Reserve League next year.

"We recognise that a number of season ticket holders enjoy the opportunity to watch our reserves and we did take that into account when making this decision, but we feel the welfare of the young players is paramount."

Mick Derby (46), a lifelong Rams fan from Chaddesden, was a regular at Reserve team matches, both home and away.

He said: "I'm disappointed that the Reserves have resigned from what is a very competitive league but I support the manager in his decision because the number of matches being played was far too many."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2005, 11:09 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

It will be a shame not too have a reserve team anymore, but with the size of our squad now, it's probably the right decision, you don't want youngsters playing 70 games a season.

Could have done without the fine though.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2005, 21:07
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
too be honest no-one really takes the reserve league seriously, especially with our squad being paperthin i think brown has make the right choice to b honest, players like Giles Barnes dnt need to be playing 70 games a season, hes 2 years my younger than myself!!!!!!!.
in our current situation, we should have been able to avoid this fine, but i guess brown didn'ty know how many players he would have in the squad

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old August 16th, 2005, 08:52 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Tonight a team will play a behind closed doors match against Boston United. It seems this is what will be happening instead of reserve matches. I suppose if they can keep finding teams to play when they want to it is good enough.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Last edited by jimbo jones; August 16th, 2005 at 08:57.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in