Possible New Assistant Manager (another one) - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old July 27th, 2005, 14:04 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Possible New Assistant Manager (another one)

Heath not a done deal

by Steve Nicholson

Confusion surrounded Derby County's search for an assistant manager last night.

Adrian Heath resigned as assistant to Micky Adams at Coventry City yesterday and the Sky Blues issued a statement saying he had joined the Rams as Phil Brown's number two.

But Derby insist Heath has not been appointed.

Heath was at Meadow Lane to see Brown's team lose 1-0 to Notts County in a pre-season friendly and afterwards chief executive Jeremy Keith said: "Adrian Heath has not been appointed in any capacity.

"Until such time as we sit down and talk properly with Coventry and Adrian, that is the situation.

"We were surprised that Coventry chose to put the matter on their club website.

"It would be fair to say that Phil Brown would like Adrian to be his assistant but in terms of the process, we are trying to conduct ourselves properly."

Brown is keen to have an assistant in place before the new Championship season kicks off on August 6 but said reports that Heath had joined Derby were premature.

"Adrian has tended his resignation at Coventry and is a candidate to become my number two, but if there is an announcement to be made by Derby County it will come from my lips," said Brown.

"I'm after somebody with Premier League experience and Adrian fits into that bracket."

Coventry appear to be unhappy about the situation.

Asked if they are intimating that Derby have made an illegal approach for Heath, who had a year to run on his contract, Keith replied: "It would be unfair to speculate on what Coventry may or may not be saying.

"It is time for our board to have a conversation with their board and straighten this out."

Brown stressed on the day he took charge at Pride Park that he was looking for an older and more experienced right-hand man, making Heath's arrival slightly surprising.

At 44, Heath is two years younger than Brown and the pair would form a young managerial partnership.

But Heath is not short of experience having held roles at a number of clubs in the past eight years or so.

He has managed at Burnley, Sheffield United and Coventry where he was caretaker boss for a short spell last season after Peter Reid left the club.

Heath was also assistant to Reid at Sunderland and to Howard Kendall at both Everton and Sheffield United.

His playing career started at Stoke before he enjoyed a highly-successful seven years at Everton during the Eighties where he won two Championships and an FA Cup..

He also played for Spanish club Espanyol, Aston Villa, Manchester City and Burnley.

If Heath does join Derby, as seems likely, he will be Brown's second signing from Coventry having taken on Bob Shaw as chief scout.

--------------------------------------------------

Bit strange how Coventry are saying he's come to us, and were saying he hasn't yet, but that sums up Derby County for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2005, 11:58
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
What's happened with this? It seemed this Heath guy was as good as joining us, and now it's all gone silent.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2005, 12:27 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yes it's gone very silent, I don't really understand why, I thought Heath had resigned, so it surely wouldn't take this long too sort him out a contract at Derby.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2005, 14:03 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Adrian Heath has done a U turn, and gone back to Coventry, he obviously realised what a state the club is in, and thought even Coventry is better than this shambles

Oh dear, as the week goes on, I get even more depressed about the start of the new season, it could be a long hard slog.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2005, 14:05
Star Player

Teams: Nottingham Forest, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo jones
what a state the club is in, and thought even Coventry is better than this shambles

Oh dear, as the weel goes on, I get even more depressed about the start of the new season, it could be a long hard slog.
Are you trying to cheer me up mate? If so, you r doing a great job!

"If god wanted us to play football in the air then he would have built a pitch in the clouds"

Brian Clough - Legend
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2005, 14:18 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Are you trying to cheer me up mate? If so, you r doing a great job!
I'm sure Forest and Derby have a competition on who can be the biggest shambles, when one's doing bad, the other does the best it can do make themselves look worse

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old August 17th, 2005, 11:03 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Dean Holdsworth appears to have entered the frame to become manager Phil Brown's assistant at Derby County.

Holdsworth watched the Rams draw 2-2 with Boston United in yesterday's behind-closed-doors match at Moor Farm.

The 36-year-old, currently player-assistant manager at Conference South club Havant &Waterlooville, is the latest in a growing list of possibles to be Brown's number two.

Brown would not be drawn on Holdsworth, saying: "I've been talking to a whole host of prospective number twos."

Brown and Holdsworth know each other from their time together at Bolton Wanderers, one of nine different clubs Holdsworth played for during a career in which he made 632 senior appearances and scored 220 goals.

Appointing an "older and experienced" assistant was a priority for Brown when he took charge almost two months ago.

A number of names have been linked with the post including Bruce Rioch, Mick Brown, Bobby Saxton, John Carver, Adrian Heath and Gary McAllister.

Brown is hopeful of having an assistant in place for Saturday's home game against Cardiff City.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old August 17th, 2005, 11:04 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

It's really dragged out this has, it looks to me a case, just get anyone in.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2005, 00:45 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Gary Mcallister could be the new assistant, that's latest rumour I'm hearing, with Holdsworth as a coach. That wouldn't be too bad at all.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2005, 01:03
Star Player

no Deano!!! the Hawks need you!!!!

let's hope this rumour is as accurate as his shot in the FA Cup semi
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2005, 11:08 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

He'll probably come down, have a look around and decide he's better off staying at Havant

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2005, 12:58
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
I would rather see Mcallister as Browns assistant than Holdsworth, I think he would be a good appointment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in