LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2005, 11:42 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Inigo keen to stay at Rams

Inigo keen to stay at Rams

By Steve Nicholson

Inigo Idiakez says he is happy at Derby County and wants to stay despite continued interest from Championship rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Wolves are keen to land the influential Spanish midfielder. They have had two offers rejected and are considering making a third.

Player-of-the-year Idiakez is fully aware of their desire to take him to Molineux but the 31-year-old is in no hurry to quit Pride Park.

"I have spoken to the gaffer and he wants me to stay - that is very important to me," said Idiakez ahead of last night's pre-season game against IA Akranes in Iceland.

Idiakez added: "I understand the club's financial position. They want me and so do Wolverhampton but I want to stay here at Derby.

"Last season was my first in England and it was fantastic.

"I am very happy here and so is my family.

"The supporters love me and I love them and that is also important to me.

"When I go to take a free-kick, corner or penalty they sing my name. That is fantastic - it is the best support I have ever seen.

"We have a very good manager and he likes to play football. We are working very, very hard for the new season."

Wolves announced their interest in Idiakez last week and appear to want to continue to do their business in the public arena.

On Monday, Wolves chief executive Jez Moxey and manager Glenn Hoddle said a bid for Idiakez is still on the table and that they were also attempting to sign two unnamed players from Premiership clubs.

According to Derby, there has been no third bid and if there is one, it is likely to be turned down.

Manager Phil Brown sees Idiakez as a key player and has maintained all along that he wants to keep his better players.

Idiakez signed a two-year extension to his contract in April. The deal now takes him to June 2007 with the option of a further year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2005, 11:47 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

The most important bit of the above article -

"When I go to take a free-kick, corner or penalty they sing my name. That is fantastic - it is the best support I have ever seen.

Good to hear him say he wants to stay, good to hear the manager say he wants him too stay...but we've heard this before, then fat boy Jeremy Kieth comes out and says, yeah we just sold Huddlestone. But losing Huddlestone wasn't that bad, losing Idiakez would be a massive blow, and destroy any hopes of a play off place again this season.

I wish the board would just come out and publicly say F**k OFF WOLVES, your not having him, that would really make my day.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2005, 17:26
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
Idiakez is a class player, who in my opinon, is the best midfielder in the championship, like jimbo, the board shuld come out n say hes not for sale full stop

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:36 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Brown's sure about Idiakez

By Steve Nicholson

Phil Brown is sure Inigo Idiakez will remain at Derby County having held "very positive" talks with the Spanish midfielder.

Brown met Idiakez and his advisers to discuss the player's future in the light of firm interest being shown by Championship rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Wolves have had a number of bids rejected as they try to prise the 31-year-old away from Pride Park but the Rams are determined to keep hold of their player of the year.

"There have been official approaches but Inigo is one of the most valuable players here and it would be remiss of me to consider any move for him at this moment in time," said Brown.

"Inigo has said he is happy at Derby. He, his family and advisers want him to stay and we want him to stay.

"It was not a case of 'crunch' talks, more like ongoing talks - and they were very positive.

"Now it is a case of making sure Inigo is a Derby player for the long-term rather than just the forseeable future."

Derby are understood to be discussing a possible improved contract for Idiakez, who signed a new deal only three months ago.

His current contract runs to June, 2007, with the option of a further year.

Brown is not surprised at the interest being shown in the player.

"Inigo was voted player of the year by the Derby supporters and was named in the Championship team of the year by his fellow professionals," said the manager.

"I hope teams will continue to be interested in him because that will mean he is playing the right type of football for this club.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:39 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Good to see Brown coming out saying Idiakez will stay....but Burley said Huddlestone will stay. Those greedy tossers on the board will sell him behind your back Mr Brown if your not careful, make sure they don't!

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2005, 15:57
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
Well Its very clear to me, that idiakez wants to stay, hes happy at derby, phil brown wants him to stay. The only people that will sell him are the board, so it could be out the managers hands
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2005, 09:46 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

When does the transfer deadline end, I'll be a lot happy when I know he can't go anywhere at least for a few months.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:40 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Some ARSEHOLE somewhere was reporting that Idiakez has handed in a transfer request, which everyone at Derby says isn't true, and Idiakez's agent said he had no idea of such a thing. So it is clear that certain people are trying to unsettle Idiakez, so they can get in too buy him, it happens all the time, but it's still frustrating.

I'm actually starting too like these transfer windows, when it comes around, if Rasiak and Idiakez are still here, I will breathe a huge sigh of relief.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:45
Star Player

Teams: Nottingham Forest, England
Sky news said he wanted to leave yesterday!!

Ha, ha....

"If god wanted us to play football in the air then he would have built a pitch in the clouds"

Brian Clough - Legend
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:52 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Sky news said he wanted to leave yesterday!!

Ha, ha....
That's what I mean, though when the player or players agent are asked they say, he wants to stay.

Just because we keep rejecting offers, those wankers have to try and unsettle him

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:54
Star Player

Mate, once its on Sky you might as well accept he's gone!

"If god wanted us to play football in the air then he would have built a pitch in the clouds"

Brian Clough - Legend
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:58 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Mate, once its on Sky you might as well accept he's gone!
er no you don't. Sky Sports reported Walter Zenga WAS the new Derby manager. I don't see him anywhere

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2005, 11:03
Star Player

Denial......its a terrible thing!

Brian Clough - Legend
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2005, 11:13 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Denial......its a terrible thing!
It is

Don't forget as wel,l handing in a transfer request doesn't get you a transfer, it has to be accepted, andd all indications from Phil Brown and Derby are that it won't be accepted. If he don't wanna play for us, he can rot in the reserves, where he can do no damage

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2005, 10:17 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Inigo will stay

Derby County have moved to end the speculation surrounding Inigo Idiakez's future at the club.

Supporters have been anxiously waiting to see whether or not the reigning player of the year will stay at Pride Park or be sold, with Wolverhampton Wanderers keen to sign the Spanish midfielder.

Derby have said all along that the player is going nowhere and feel they have now put a lid on the matter.

Director of football Murdo Mackay met Idiakez's advisors in Madrid on Thursday evening.

Mackay said: "Inigo is totally and utterly committed to Derby County, and he is staying.

"We were concerned that the speculation was having an effect on the player.

"Phil Brown (manager), myself and the board of directors spoke about this and felt we needed to know he was committed to the club.

"We were anxious to dispel any doubts over his future here and the meeting has done that.

"He is staying - and that is the end of the matter."

Idiakez has a contract that runs until June 2007 with the option of a further year. It now appears that the extra year has been confirmed.

Idiakez has been attracting constant interest from Championship rivals Wolves.

The Molineux club have had two bids rejected, one of Â500,000 and another of Â750,000.

Wolves boss Glenn Hoddle remains an admirer of the player and was ready to to make a third bid armed with extra finance following the Â3m sale of striker Henri Camara to Wigan Athletic.

Mackay has also confirmed that talks have been taking place with Grzegorz Rasiak's representatives and, like Idiakez, he is committed to Derby.

Brown and Mackay are still working to strengthen the squad before the transfer window closes on August 31 but have been told by chief executive Jeremy Keith that nobody can come in until somebody goes out.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2005, 10:18 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Hopefully slapping the NOT FOR SALE sign on Idiakez will end speculation of him moving untill the january transfer window at least.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old August 17th, 2005, 10:58 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Glenn Hoddle has publicaly ended his interest in Idiakez, so he won't be going anywhere

Excellent news, and it has surprised some people who were sure he would be leaving.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old August 17th, 2005, 11:17
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
No more worrying about if Idiakez will be sold then, at last. Unless someone else comes in for him, but it's getting a bit late for that.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old August 17th, 2005, 11:33 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Sunderland showed a bit of interest but never followed it up, so I think we should be alright, untill the January transfer window at least.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old August 25th, 2005, 10:15 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

One year extension

Influential Spanish midfielder Inigo Idiakez has extended his Derby County contract for a further year.

Director of football Murdo Mackay revealed the news to www.dcfc.co.uk shortly after the Rams went out of the Carling Cup to Grimsby Town at Pride Park.

Idiakez, who joined the Rams in the summer of 2004 having spent several years playing in the top-flight in his native country, originally signed a deal to the end of the current season.

But in April this year he put pen to paper on a one-year extension, taking him to the summer of 2007, and he has now extended that for a further 12 months.

The deal comes after a summer of speculation linking Idiakez with a move away from Pride Park, with Wolverhampton Wanderers strongly interested.

"We've extended his contract for another year and this will dispel all the speculation about him leaving us," Mackay said.

"Everything has been agreed, and it has to be said that Andrew Mackenzie and the board have been superb in making this happen.

"He is a Derby County player for the immediate future and for a long time to come, which I'm sure the fans will be delighted about.

"Someone asked me once what I thought he was worth, but to me he's priceless.
"He's delighted to sign and the speculation did unsettle him a bit, we've not seen him at his absolute best, but everyone here is absolutely delighted that he is staying."

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in