Brown May Trim Squad - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2005, 10:33 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Brown May Trim Squad

Derby County manager Phil Brown says players may have to leave Pride Park in order to help him further strengthen the squad.

Brown has bolstered the defence this week by bringing in young centre-back Andrew Davies on loan from Middlesbrough and experienced full-back Marc Edworthy, who was a free agent having left Norwich City.

"That's not the end of the signings, only the beginning," said Brown, who also wants to improve the midfield and strike-force - and has players in mind.

He would like a total of five or six new faces and a squad of 23 or 24 players for the new Championship season but admits he may have to make room in the budget.

"I fully understand the financial restraints and I have to work within those, meaning one or two players could move out," he said.

"There is a stranglehold on the back four at the moment and I might have to alleviate the pressure to make space for a midfield player or striker coming in.

"A new broom tends to sweep clean. I'm not of that ilk but I know one or two may have to go because I also want my own players in."

As well as Davies and Edworthy, the other recognised defenders on the books are Jeff Kenna, Mo Konjic, Michael Johnson, Richard Jackson, Jamie Vincent and Paul Boertien.

Brown says he is also speaking to the agents of out-of-contract defenders Pablo Mills and Chris Makin, adding: "Both have a good chance of being offered deals."

All this points to possible departures and will lead to speculation over the futures of a number of players, particularly the defenders.

One of those will be left-back Jamie Vincent. He has not been in the first team since November, mainly due to injury.

Along with Jeff Kenna, he was told by former manager George Burley at the end of last season that he was free to find another club. Both are under contract until next summer.

Brown remains aware of the interest in key players Grzegorz Rasiak and Inigo Idiakez, who have been linked with Wolverhampton Wanderers, but the manager is keen to keep hold of the pair.

"I have had no concrete interest from Wolves," he says.

"I believe they were interested in the players before I came here and that was an ongoing scenario.

"As far as I am concerned, until Glenn Hoddle picks the phone up to me there is no interest

-------------------------------------------------------------

There's definately too many defenders in the squad now, especially those who can play full back, you would think it would be easier too tell Mills and Making too find a new club, and not give them contracts, but there has been signs that Browns wants to give them contracts, so who is likely to be shown the door, or who do we want to be shown the door?

Vincent must be the first one, been injured too much and is constant rumours that he/his wife wants to go back down south.

A second has to go IMO, Kenna? told he can leave by Burley, but I would hope he will stay.

Konjic, he really started too look like he was past it, after returning from injury last season.

No way do we want rid of Jackson or Johnson, and Boertien is still injured and Brown has stated in an interview, that when he's fit again he is in his plans.

For me it's Vincent and maybe one other. Too make room for a couple of midfielders and maybe a striker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2005, 22:43
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
its quite obvious, that brown doesnt think to much of our defence at all, i.e bringin in 2 new defenders, its luks very likely that vincent will leave, i think, that he may tell both konjic n mills to find new clubs, i wud like to see him keep both makin n kenna as they were steady performers last season
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old July 8th, 2005, 10:34 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Brown seems keen to get Makin signed from what I hear a deal has been offered, and a few things need sorting out with his agent (more money I guess) before he signs.

H also seems keen for Mills to stay saying "Hopefully I'll create the right environment for Pablo to blossom in" looks to me both of them will be staying.

Richard Edgehill and Lindsay Wilson have been released from their trial with the club, with Davies and Edworthy signing Brown obviously felt they weren't needed.

No decision has been made on Atrim Sakiri yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in