How did you become a fan of the Rams - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2005, 15:38 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
How did you become a fan of the Rams

Thought it was time, I made a thread where all us Derby fans, or just the people who have a bit of a soft spot for the Rams, too tell how it all came about.

So here's my story, My dads from Worcestershire and is a Villa fan (as is my brother). My mums family is from Stoke and are all Stoke City fans.

I was born in Burton On Trent. Growing up of course my Dad tried to get me to follow the Villa, so I has some Villa shirts, I also had an Everton shirt and a piece of toilet paper pretending to be a football shirt, which was coloured red (you know who I mean) and a Derby shirt.

When I was younger I never really followed one team properly, then in the 96/97 season, the assistant manager of the football team I played for (who was very rich) Paid for the whole team to go to a Derby match, and have a tour of the Baseball Ground.

I met Igor Stimac in the changing rooms, where he gave my little brother a flag which he signed, which I robbed off him cuz he's a Villa fan. Then it was the game, which was against Everton, we lost 1-0, but just the enjoyment of the match experience won me over.

After the 2nd match I went too which was away at Sheffield Wednesday, where we won 5-2 (arguably the greatest game I have ever seen) there was no going back, I had been turned into a Ram 4 Life.

Also I first scraped the money together for a season ticket in the 2002/2003 season, the first after relegation...what timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2005, 15:47
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
Don't exactly remember how I became a Derby fan. I just remember that my Dad and my brother had a season ticket from about 1990 to 94-95ish. My Granpa used to take my cousin as well. I remember the rist game i went to was Derby vs Charlton in 1994 2-2 the score was. Tommy johnson and i think craig short scored. One of his last games for Derby if i remeber correctly. I remeber Carl Leaburn playing for Charlton i'm sure he scored that day, the dangerous player he was. I can remember going to see Derby vs Bristol City as well that year and Wayne Allison was all over us. Can't remember the score as it was a long time ago....i mean come on, it was a time when Wayne Allison had pace so it must be bloody yonks ago.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2005, 15:50 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Neil
. I can remember going to see Derby vs Bristol City as well that year and Wayne Allison was all over us. Can't remember the score as it was a long time ago....i mean come on, it was a time when Wayne Allison had pace so it must be bloody yonks ago.

Good old Wayne Allison...oh and the fact you was what 7? in 1994 isn't going to help witht he memories.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2005, 22:52
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County, England and Ireland
well i wasn't reali into football until i was about 6 or 7, n use to support various teams, but then me n my dad started to go to some games. My first game was vs Notts County in the 1994-95 season, where it was 0-0.
Pretty dire game actually, but nevertheless, that was the game that turned me into a rams fan .That same season, i saw an incredible strike by lee mills vs bolton wanderers ( wot a name from the past!!!! ), in the last minute to win the game very nice!!!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2005, 22:54 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Wonder if Lee Mills is still playing, last I remember of him, he was at Notts County.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2005, 23:44
Rising Star

Starting watch Premiership in about 97/98
Jim build an attractive team like today bolton
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2005, 09:35
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo jones
Wonder if Lee Mills is still playing.
playing is too much of a compliment to the million pound man

he was released by hereford at the end of last season
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2005, 10:25 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyppersa
Starting watch Premiership in about 97/98
Jim build an attractive team like today bolton
Yes, those were the days, days when we would beat Manchester United and co, play 3 strikers up front, and finish 8th in the Premiership.

Jim Smith is a legend, hopefully Phil Brown can take us back there :thmbup:

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2005, 10:27 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSilk24
playing is too much of a compliment to the million pound man

he was released by hereford at the end of last season
Portsmouth didn't pay a million pounds for him, did they?

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2005, 10:47
Star Player

Quote:
Portsmouth didn't pay a million pounds for him, did they?
no we didnt. we paid 1.2 million for him

30 appearances, 5 goals
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2005, 10:54 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSilk24
no we didnt. we paid 1.2 million for him

30 appearances, 5 goals

:dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh:

Don't know why I'm laughing, we've thrown away more money than that on worse players.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2005, 10:59
Star Player

Quote:
:dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh:

Don't know why I'm laughing, we've thrown away more money than that on worse players.
most of those were when you were a premiership club tho. 1.2 million was our record transfer fee once. another reason why i don't feel sorry for Pulis getting the boot at Stoke
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2005, 12:18
Premier Player

Teams: Derby County
I remember the bristol city game now. We won 3-1 and it was Darren Wrack's first professional goal. I always thought he would be one for the future couldn't understand why he was let go at that age. Errrr and Lee Mills was bought for 400,000 pounds from Wolves.....over 1 million pounds for Mills? you lot are having a laugh.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2005, 14:13 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Oooooohhhh Darren Wrack, another blast from the past, wonder where he is, he played against us for Wallsall 2 seasons ago, wonder if he's still there.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in