Kenna to Stay - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2005, 14:45 Thread Starter
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Kenna to Stay

Jeff Kenna is relishing a second chance with Derby County after fearing his Pride Park career was over.

The former Republic of Ireland international was told by previous manager George Burley that he could find himself another club at the end of last season - despite having a year left on his contract.

He discovered he was being made available for transfer the day after the Rams' play-off semi-final defeat by Preston North End - and admitted the decision knocked him for six.

But, since then, Burley has left the club and manager Phil Brown has told all the players in the squad the slate has been wiped clean.

That means Kenna and fellow defender Jamie Vincent, who was also told he was surplus to requirements, have returned for pre-season training determined to impress the new boss.

Kenna said he did not see eye to eye with Burley and although he was surprised by the former Ipswich Town manager's decision to resign, he was far from disappointed to see him go.

The 34-year-old added: "George called me into his office the day after the Preston game and told me to look for another club.

"It knocked me for six - I was not expecting that.

"His decision annoyed me. I was getting all the right signals as I was playing every week and when Ian Taylor wasn't playing, I was captain.

"At the time, I felt my form was good and I was very upset and very disappointed to be discarded like that.

"I did not see eye to eye with George but players and managers have that type of relationship where as long as you're doing the business, the respect is mutual and you get on with it.

"But he's gone and in my opinion, it was the right decision for him to move on.

"I was surprised when he went after the season we had but there were other things happening off the field which I'm not prepared to go into.

"If George had still been here, I would be touting myself about to see if I could get another club.

"I still feel I've got plenty to offer and I wouldn't have been happy here playing in the reserves every week.

"But it's all in the past as far as I'm concerned and is all forgotten."

Kenna said he was impressed with Brown's enthusiasm following their first meeting when the players reported back to Moor Farm for pre-season training yesterday.

"My first impressions of him are great," said Kenna. "I'm looking forward to working with him - unless he tells me differently.

"He was very enthusiastic and has got a great reputation as a coach

"The new gaffer has said everyone is starting with a clean slate - it's almost like I've got a second chance now.

"It's up to the players to prove we are good enough to be part of his plans."

Meanwhile, Derby County have had a fourth fixture altered so it can be shown live on Sky television.

The home match against Southampton, originally scheduled for Saturday, September 17, will now take place 24 hours later, kicking off at 4pm.

Sammy Lee has replaced Phil Brown as assistant manager at Bolton Wanderers.

Former Liverpool midfielder Lee, who also had a spell with Bolton, will continue as a member of Sven Goran Eriksson's England coaching staff.

------------------------------------------------

With Burley gone and Brown in, the players told too find a new club, all have a second chance, which includes Kenna. Which is good I was surprised Burley told him too find a new club, he was superb in the 2nd half of last season.

Interesting too see him talking about how he didn't get on with Burley, and he made the right decision too go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in