New Manager - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 20:15 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
New Manager

Any names? still in shock that Burley has left but now we need to find a replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 20:26 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

although he didn't do a great job with Hajduk Split and he is heavily involved with the club I so far have heard rumors of Stimac taking over.

Paul Simpson, Martin Allen and the Yeovil Town manager are also been named
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2005, 00:01
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
I have no idea who we will get, no-one springs too mind, the managers out of contract at the moment, are so for a reason, there shyte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!

post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2005, 10:59
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Search has started
The search for a successor to George Burley as manager of Derby County is already underway, said the club's chief executive, Jeremy Keith.

As expected, many names will be linked with the Pride Park hot-seat and Keith says he has already fielded a number of calls from agents representing potential appointments.

With the first-team squad expected back at pre-season training at the end of this month, an appointment needs to be made sooner rather than later.

But Keith realises the Derby board need to make the right decision, rather than being rushed into an appointment they may regret later.

"We recognise that, in terms of being ready to compete next season, a good pre-season is vital," said Keith.

"But by the same token, it's very easy to make snap decisions now and regret them later so we shall be urgently, yet thoroughly, looking for a new manager."

Keith said the board were in the process of drawing up a list of potential candidates for the position, adding that he expected there to be a large number of applications.

He added: "We have to recognise that Derby County is the kind of club that many managers would like to be at. I've had a lot of phone calls already from agents suggesting that their clients would be the ideal solution for Derby."

It's possible the departure of Burley will have scuppered potential signings who had been attracted to the club because of his reputation.

"I think we have to accept that anyone coming to work at the club needs to know who they are working for," added Keith.

Among the early front-runners for the position could be Preston North End's Billy Davies, the man who guided his side to the Championship play-off final at the expense of the Rams.

Davies was responsible for turning the Lancashire club's fortunes around after stepping up from his coaching role to take over from former boss Craig Brown but the Deepdale board would not be keen to see him leave.

Howard Wilkinson, currently on the board at Notts County, is another possible candidate.

His last management role saw him preside over a disastrous spell at Sunderland, which precipitated their relegation from the Premiership in 2003. Although he is available, it's likely his appointment would be seen as a backward step and unpopular with Rams fans.

Peter Reid, who resigned as manager of Coventry City in December last year, could also be looking for a way back into management, as could former Nottingham Forest boss Paul Hart and Stan Ternent, who parted company with Gillingham at the end of last season.

Steve Cotterill, currently the Burnley boss and who worked under Wilkinson at the Stadium of Light, was in the frame for the Rams position before Burley's appointment and could be another option.

----------------------------------------------------------

Only manager mentioned in that I would like is Billy Davies, though why he would leave that too join the Derby Circus, I do not know.

I saw a list of all managers out of work on another message board, I'll try and find it and put it on here.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2005, 11:10
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Managers without a club

George Graham
Trevor Francis
Jean Tigana
Kevin Keegan
Bobby Robson
Jaques Santini
Ray Lewington
Lennie Lawrence
Jim Smith
David Pleat
David Platt
Joe Kinnear
Paul Harte
Peter Reid
Terry Venables
Stan Tearnant
G. Mcallister
Dennis Wise
Glenn Roeder
Craig Brown
Alan Knill

Well who would we want out of that lot?

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2005, 19:46 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

thanks for the list Jimbo, not that great in all honesty but out of those...
Kevin Keegan would be good but would he want to come to Derby? he is Premiership potential.
Steve Cotterill, the Burnley manager would be good I think.
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old June 9th, 2005, 10:03
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

A bloke at work Reckons, Dean Saunders will will be the next manager, the former Derby player, is currently Assistant Manager at Newcastle United.

Seems as theirs no-one good out there, our best bet will likely be going for someone unproven and hope it comes off.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old June 9th, 2005, 22:37 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Stan Ternant is apparently the one Derby might get...don't know much about him, what clubs has he managed in the past?
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old June 10th, 2005, 00:15
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit
Stan Ternant is apparently the one Derby might get...don't know much about him, what clubs has he managed in the past?
Blackpool, Hull, Bury (took them into what is now the Championship), Burnley (took them from relegation battlers in League One into a stable Championship side - two 7th place finishes), Gillingham
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old June 10th, 2005, 00:18
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo jones
Managers without a club

George Graham
Trevor Francis
Jean Tigana
Kevin Keegan
Bobby Robson
Jaques Santini
Ray Lewington
Lennie Lawrence
Jim Smith
David Pleat
David Platt
Joe Kinnear
Paul Harte
Peter Reid
Terry Venables
Stan Tearnant
G. Mcallister
Dennis Wise
Glenn Roeder
Craig Brown
Alan Knill

Well who would we want out of that lot?
santini is the new auxerre manager and pleat is probably stay as a consultant with us for another year. dennis wise is probably gonna sign for qpr and george graham says he is waiting for a massive job to come along. add colin lee to that list
post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old June 10th, 2005, 00:21
Rod
Star Player

Advocaat? Vialli?
post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old June 10th, 2005, 10:49
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Couldn't see Advocaat or Vialli coming to Derby, but I could see Colin Lee coming, and he would be better than most of the others available.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old June 10th, 2005, 10:57
Star Player

any truth in the reports that Burley was poking Marcus Tudgay's girlfriend and apparantly she's now preggers?
post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old June 10th, 2005, 13:01
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSilk24
any truth in the reports that Burley was poking Marcus Tudgay's girlfriend and apparantly she's now preggers?
You know I has heard a rumour he'd been 'poking' a players missus, hadn't heard a name mentioned, but he was up here away from family all the time, could also explain the disappearance of Tudgay from the squad for most of the run in. He was the Championship player of the month in February, he wasn't in the match squad fr most of april/may.

Hmmmmmm I wonder.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old June 10th, 2005, 15:11
Premier Player

Teams: Nottingham Forest, Roma,Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo jones
You know I has heard a rumour he'd been 'poking' a players missus, hadn't heard a name mentioned, but he was up here away from family all the time, could also explain the disappearance of Tudgay from the squad for most of the run in. He was the Championship player of the month in February, he wasn't in the match squad fr most of april/may.

Hmmmmmm I wonder.
Hmmmmmmmmmm.........I like it.

"John Robertson was a very unattractive young man. If, one day, I was feeling a bit off colour, I would sit next to him. I was bloody Errol Flynn compared to him, but give him a yard of grass and he was an artist. The Picasso of our game"

Brian Clough
post #16 of 89 (permalink) Old June 10th, 2005, 15:14
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartle
Hmmmmmmmmmm.........I like it.

F**k Dream Team and Footballers Wives, get the cameras down to Pride Park, that's where it all happens. There was a lot of rumours surrounding John Gregory, and now it's George Burley. It's got too put off possible new managers.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #17 of 89 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2005, 01:26
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
Eric Black perhaps? Hes a good coach.

How about Tony Mowbray for Hibs, you could realistically get him, and he works well with Youngsters.
post #18 of 89 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2005, 10:35
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Black, could be a good option, he must live, fairly local as well.

I'd be lieing if i said I had ever heard of the other guy.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #19 of 89 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2005, 10:42
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Rams are quiet on Davies link
Derby County have refused to be drawn on increasing speculation that Preston North End boss Billy Davies is firmly in their sights as they step up moves to find George Burley's successor at Pride Park.

The Rams board drew up a shortlist of potential candidates yesterday morning and began interviewing the first of a "handful" of possible appointments in the afternoon.

The likelihood of the Preston boss being Derby's number one choice increased yesterday after the Lilywhites chairman, Derek Shaw, claimed he had been approached by a Derby director at the Football League's chairman's conference, who "admitted" Davies (pictured below) was one of a number of people they would be interested in.

But Jeremy Keith, Derby's chief executive, refused to be drawn on Shaw's claim, adding he would not be discussing the identity of anyone on Derby's shortlist.

"We've now reached a shortlist we are happy with and have already begun interviewing candidates," said Keith.

"We are going about this in the correct manner and any approaches will be made by seeking the necessary clearances.

"In the main, the people on the list are currently in other jobs but paying compensation is something we are clearly willing to do if that's what is needed.

"All candidates on our list have experience of the English game which was something that tipped the balance in one or two people's favour.

"We also had offers from applicants in Europe and probably about 50 people applying in total."

Davies' name has been linked with the Rams job ever since Burley's resignation on Tuesday but Lilywhites chairman Shaw yesterday insisted, his manager was "going nowhere", adding he would be starting talks to offer Davies a new deal at Deepdale.

"We would fight tooth and nail and do everything we could to keep him here," said Shaw.

"We are currently in discussions with him over a new contract."

Last night, Davies, who transformed Preston from mid-table mediocrity to promotion candidates in the space of eight months, said he was happy to sit down for talks with the Preston board.

He said: "I got a call from the chairman saying that he would like to sit down and talk about a new deal.

"I love this football club and being here. I'm pleased with what's going on and where we are trying to go.

"So I'm more than happy to sit down and talk to the chairman. It's now a matter of getting my representative to sit down with the board."

Keith added that the search for a new manager would continue throughout the weekend.

He added: "The final decision on who we appoint as manager will be made by the board. Murdo Mackay will not be involved in the final selection process.

"All plans for the weekend have been cancelled."

Betting on the next permanent Derby County manager was suspended by some bookmakers after being inundated with requests for Davies.

Steve Freeth, spokesman for bet365, said: "There's only one person that the punters wanted to be with today - and that's Billy Davies.

"You have to respect the money in these types of markets and when new customers come on wanting to back him at any price they can, you know enough is enough."

-------------------------------------------------------------

So, the shortlist is drawn, and Davies is almost certainly the favourite, he did a great job with Preston last year, and there is no-one better out there too get imo, the only downside is, too get him will cost money, as he's under contract...money we don't have, but the board will no doubt borrow too increse the debt.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #20 of 89 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2005, 13:10 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

another name: Christian Gross

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in