Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 12:30
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Beat me too it.

One word DISASTER!

Administration is expected too follow very soon, so we'll have no manager, no team, and start the season on -10 points. Off to Chesterfiled in the 06/07 season then

There will be a Looooooooooooooong rant to come after I've stopped banging my head against the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 12:36 Thread Starter
Star Player

when you've stopped banging your head scroll down the page

John Gregory is available

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 12:37
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSilk24

John Gregory is available

If I wasn't so pissed off I would laugh.

Quote:
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 12:38
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

article ffom www.therams.co.uk with some fans responses as well

Burley to go

George Burley's two-year reign as Derby County manager looks set to end today after speculation mounted last night regarding his future at the club.

The shock news comes less than a month after he guided the Rams to within touching distance of the Premiership.

Dreams of promotion were shattered when Derby were beaten by Preston in the semi-finals of the Championship play-offs, leaving Burley to plan for the new season.

But last night those plans appeared to be in tatters with Burley seemingly heading for the exit.

Nobody at the club or Burley himself were available for comment late last night.

Burley is believed to have become unhappy with certain aspects of the way the club is being run and has not appeared comfortable with the role of director of football, Murdo Mackay.

A club insider said last night that Mackay may have submitted his resignation on the basis that if he was the problem for Burley he was prepared to do the honourable thing and leave.

Burley was also "deeply hurt" following allegations questioning his conduct in a national newspaper article two weeks ago. The club responded to the article by backing Burley and said they looked forward to him being "at the helm" next season.

Chairman John Sleightholme said at the time: "The entire board are pleased with the progress that has been made under his (Burley's) leadership and look forward to making further progress next season."

Burley arrived at Derby in late March 2003 as interim manager, after John Gregory was suspended by the club following "serious allegations" made against him.

Three victories in his seven games in charge helped the Rams avoid relegation to the third tier of English football.

Gregory was subsequently sacked in May of that year and the club turned to former Ipswich Town boss Burley on a full-time basis. He signed a two-year contract in early June - and he's now set to leave almost two years to the day.

Burley signed a new deal earlier this year which gave him a 12-month rolling contract.

The manager had a "clear-the-air" meeting with Sleightholme and chief executive Jeremy Keith 10 days ago after which Keith insisted it was "business as usual."

Burley was in France over the weekend for the early stages of the Toulon Tournament and is believed to have had a further meeting with board members yesterday.

Within the past fortnight Burley has been linked with the vacant manager's position at Hearts but he has denied being approached by the Scottish Premier Division club.

There is also a vacancy at Millwall, one of Derby's Championship rivals, and the 49-year-old Scot may be interested.

What's your view on Burley's departure? Click here to give us your views

Here's a selection of your comments so far...

GB has gone, what a footballing disaster Derby have let one of the best managers in England slip threw their finger. Derby have taken three steps back and will battling to stay in the division again next season. We finally do something constructive and the board go and mess it up. With no money and Rasiak on his way out we have no prospect or future.
Andrew Gunter

Nothing ceases to amaze me regarding The Rams. It has the hallmarks of Brian Clough and Sam Longson all those years ago - just when we are about to turn the corner and what happens, I cannot see who would replace him, it's not as if there are loads of talented individuals out there, there are plenty of chancers and bluffers, but nobody with George's attributes. Come on Derby, get a grip, we need the likes of George Burley to get us back where we belong!
Simon Willets, West Hallam

Once more Derby County looks to self implode just at the point when "the sharp corner" had been turned. The club has a history of shooting itself in the foot, it is now time for the chairman to step up to the mark and manage the situation with a swift and firm decision that is right for the club which means that Burley has to stay. I've have just spent Ł400 on a season ticket, I am owed at least an explanation from the very people who have put Ł397 less into the club.
Lee Martin, Mansfield

How can Derby even think of letting the best manager we have had since Jim Smith's early days! His coaching ability has turned this club around. And without spending a penny. If it's problems with menbers of the board, then BYE BYE board not Burley !!! or we could be playing Forest quicker than any Derby fan would want !!
Steve Caddy, Cornwall

Once more this club manages to engineer disaster from opportunity! We have the best manager we have had in many years, he performs minor miracles and then he is forced out because of rampant egos and murky politics! Administration in the next week or so anyone?
Dave, Derby

Burley should stay as he's the best we could attract - but the rest of the people running the club, especially the Director of Football, can go. Perhaps one of the consortiums previously interested in the club could come in and give them their Ł3 back. I think they any of them can do better than investing no money and raising the debt by Ł10m - but that's just my opinion.
Kevin, Derby

What is going on!!! just as the long suffering Rams fans have something to cheer about, the board have lost the man who is turning this club around!! this ia a disgrace, they should all resign and leave Burley to do what he does best.
Alex Graham, Netherlands

Burley done to much for the club to just walk away now. The fans love him to much and believe in him and we all share the same dream as him and the players, which is to get Derby back to the premiership. George has brought pride back to Derby and the city is full of happy faces and belief, we've been able to walk away from games with smile and pride since he's been manager. Derby are letting go of the best manager they've had since Sir Brian Clough.
Laura, Derby

It's a sad day for the fans. He's been fantastic and it would be a massive shame to see him go. We've taken a step forward under GB and now could be taking two steps back.
Tim Parker, Derby

This is a scandal. Burely is the best thing that has happened to derby in recent years. Watch us sink like a stone now he's gone. Murdo must go instead. What is the point of Murdo anyway other than another wage we cannot afford?
Michael Harrold, London

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 12:46 Thread Starter
Star Player

Jim Smith as well. would you take the Bald Cnut back? the Longston/Sleighterholme comparisons are compelling
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 12:53
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Jim Smith as well. would you take the Bald Cnut back? the Longston/Sleighterholme comparisons are compelling
Take Smith back? Hmmm maybe, he brought us some great times, but it may be a case of who's stupid enough to want the Derby job.

The Longston/Clough thing was way before my time, and I'm not too clued up about it. What I do know is the current Board have no idea how too run a football club, have been involved in business going bust, a lot of Derby fans call them the 3 parasites, if they we're unpopular before, now they will be hated. There's already talks of protesting outside the ground.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 12:56 Thread Starter
Star Player

it was way before my time as well, i only know about it through cloughie's book. dont really know much about this current situation, the sports media seem more concerned about tapping up and liverpool getting in the CL than clubs like Cambridge, Derby and Wrexham disappearing completely

didnt one exec accuse burley of being an alky?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 13:01
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:

didnt one exec accuse burley of being an alky?
A story came out in the paper which was denied, apparently the club tried too get players too give evidence against them, which none would do.

That's most likely the main reason for him resigning, as well as the board selling Huddlestone literally the day after Burley publicly said, he doesn't want to sell him, and it would be a bad decision for the club and the player.

Burley was also supposed to be unhappy with Murdo Mackaays director of football role....nothing new there.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 13:04 Thread Starter
Star Player

Martin Allen is also being suggested. didnt your most successful manager say 'football is played on the floor not in the sky'???? he'd be spinning in his grave now with the state of your club and your beloved rivals
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 13:09
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Martin Allen is also being suggested. didnt your most successful manager say 'football is played on the floor not in the sky'???? he'd be spinning in his grave now with the state of your club and your beloved rivals
I think Cloughie bailed out at the right time, at least he doesn't have to witness the shambles both clubs are becoming.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 14:04
Midfield Enforcer
Premier Player

Teams: Lazio, West Ham
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo jones
A story came out in the paper which was denied, apparently the club tried too get players too give evidence against them, which none would do.

That's most likely the main reason for him resigning, as well as the board selling Huddlestone literally the day after Burley publicly said, he doesn't want to sell him, and it would be a bad decision for the club and the player.
Sorry to hear this, judging from Burley's comments it was the drink allegations that led to his decision.

Veritŕ e giustizia per Gabriele!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 15:10
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

DERBY COUNTY STATEMENT

Derby County chairman John Sleightholme has issued the following statement:

"It is with reluctance and regret that we note George Burley's decision 'not to continue as manager'.

"He has managed the team with the result of great on-field progress for which he deserves credit.

"George raised a specific concern with the board, the board had a meeting and complied with George's request and he agreed to continue as manager. However, since that meeting only a number of days ago, George now feels he cannot continue as manager.

"We asked if there was anything we could do to change his mind and he said there was no solution possible.

"George and his representatives have made it clear that his decision his final.

"I would like to take this opportunity on behalf of the board to thank George for his considerable contribution to Derby County.

"The board, having satisfied George's requests, are disappointed that he has not made clear his real reasons for leaving."

-----------------------------------------

It seems to me, the board are trying to make Burley out as the Villain, not a wise move by them it will only tighten the rope that's currently around there neck.

Quote:

Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 18:04
Premier Player

Teams: Nottingham Forest, Roma,Italy
i would suggest Joe Kinnear.

"John Robertson was a very unattractive young man. If, one day, I was feeling a bit off colour, I would sit next to him. I was bloody Errol Flynn compared to him, but give him a yard of grass and he was an artist. The Picasso of our game"

Brian Clough
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 19:37
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
whhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttt???
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 20:14
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Derby chief blasts at departing Burley

Derby chairman John Sleightholme has accused manager George Burley of not giving 'his real reasons' for resigning as Rams boss
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 20:29
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/...l=Championship

Mackay now wants to quit, don't think Derby need a Director of Football
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 23:17
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: West Brom and Arsenal. Dallas Cowboys.
Well I'm shocked!

After what he achieved at Derby, I fancied you guys for a promotion spot next season, as hes a good manager.

Dave Jones?
Martin O'Neill?

Fantasy Football? try www.freekick.org

Freddie Mia

Thomas Fortune Odemwingie
Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
Ridgewell Olson McAuley Reid
----------Foster
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 23:22 Thread Starter
Star Player

dave jones is cardiff manager
and o'neil is an upmarket martin allen
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 23:38
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: West Brom and Arsenal. Dallas Cowboys.
I haven't been keeping up with the apptments when did he go there, must have been recently, as last time I heard Lennie was still in charge.

There you go then, Lennie Lawrence

Fantasy Football? try www.freekick.org

Freddie Mia

Thomas Fortune Odemwingie
Morrison Mulumbu Andrews
Ridgewell Olson McAuley Reid
----------Foster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in