your top 5 favourite restaurants - Xtratime Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old April 25th, 2019, 02:22 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Teams: MTK
your top 5 favourite restaurants

thread for the temples of food

will probably extend it to 11 or more but will start with top 5 off the top of my head, without any specific order

D.O.M., Săo Paulo: considered South America‘s best restaurant and one of top 50 in world, it is famous for its use of only brazilian ingredients, mainly exotic produce from the amazonas region, such as tucupi, pirarucu, jambu, piraíba. had a fabulous 10-course menu there, plus they fixed a vegetarian menu for mrs szövkap

Barraca do Guido, Ilha de Boipeba, Bahia: not sure if it‘s the proper name or if the place even has a name. bottomline is, owner and chef is Seu Guido, place is a simple open air bbq stall on a deserted beach on a small and remote island, thus naturally only open on daylight for lunch 11-16h and theres also only one dish on the menu: fresh lagosta (not sure about the english word but it’s not lobster although anglos sometimes call it that) either grilled as a whole or fried in butter

Bar Tropikal, Vila do Maio, Cabo Verde: another beach bar, this time a little more sophisticated as its in the middle of the islands capital lol but the island itself is even more remote rhan the previous one. awesome fish dishes, mainly atum and peixe-serra in all varieties, grilled or as carpaccio, to cry from joy, also maybe best dessert I ever ate was their local goat cheese with doce de papaia

Sem Fim, Monsaraz, Alentejo: formerly a olive oil mill, now a restaurant with attached olive oil museum, bar, gallery, planetarium, all this in the middle of nowhere of Alentejo‘s plains, they serve best freshest local produce like lamb and black pork in all varieties, slow food highlight

Bar do Peixe, Praia do Meco, Sesimbra: another beach bar, maybe best fish restaurant I know, definitely best Lulas I ever ate, plus awesomest place for a sunset watch. service quality has been a bit on the decreasing side lately

Bock Bisztró, VI ker, Budapest: my #1 hun restaurant, no doubt about it, they do an array of traditional hun dishes in a modern way, their goulash soup is almost as good as mine and that means something, plus since its actually a winemaker family, they have like 50 open wines, don‘t have to buy always a bottle for a try

I already posted pics of these places except the Bock in my various travel threads and luso thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old April 25th, 2019, 02:27 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Lagosta

Lobster (Lavagante)

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old April 25th, 2019, 02:29 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Guido‘s

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old April 25th, 2019, 03:20
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
Favourite Bendigo restaurants:

1. The Dispensary.

This place is perhaps best known for their extensive drinks list - you can get quality beer, whisky, cocktails, gin, cider, rum, wine, you name it. I often go for the Rin Quin Quin aperitif to kick things off.

The food, of course, is fantastic. Their menu changes on a fairly regular basis. I'm a big fan of their gyoza and steamed buns. The guys who run the place are very polite too. They're located in Chancery Lane, a very nice spot, just opposite my regular hairdresser. Just up from there is a nice cafe, El Gordo's which specializes in tapas and other Spanish stuff like bocadillo's (Spanish sandwiches).

2. Din Fung.

I love dumplings, and Din Fung make great dumplings. They actually got new owners recently, which had me concerned, buy I tried their dumplings again and they're still great.

I don't like fried dumplings, steamed taste better to me, and they're healthier too. I usually order Northern Style dumplings, Xiao Long Biao, which is like a smaller, wonton style dumpling, and prawn dumplings.

3. Borchelli Ristoronte.

Located in Bendigo's picturesque View St. just opposite the art gallery - well worth a visit if you're in the area, wink wink, you'll find this very intimate setting that I imagine is a great place for a romantic night out. Not that I've ever experienced one for myself

My favourite dish of theirs is fettuccine salmone, to go with a glass of Moscato. Belissimo

4. The Woodhouse.

Probably the most luxurious restaurant I've been to in Bendigo, and possibly the best in the city as far as rankings go, we save our visits for special occasions.

The Woodhouse offer - as their name implies - woodfire pizza and steaks. I'm not really a steak person so the occasions I have been there I've just tried their pizza. And it is incredible. Of course the pizza is of the gourmet kind, not something you'll find at your local Domino's, so the toppings are really interesting. And when I say interesting, I mean it in a good way.

My mother isn't really a pizza lover (blasphemy!) but even she enjoyed her time here as there was a pizza for her (pumpkin and beetroot). I tried it as well and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

My favourite had to be the one with mushrooms and San Marzano tomatoes. I love mushrooms, put mushrooms on anything, and I'll love it.

5. Rocks on Rosalind.

Spanner crab pasta is the greatest dish ever. I'd rank them higher but I only come here for that.
szövkap likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2019, 00:10
Gyula
Premier Player

Teams: Hungary, Romania
#1 restaurant: my mama's kitchen
ToniSamp, mali, Dmitriy and 2 others like this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2019, 00:14 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Árpád_ View Post
#1 restaurant: my mama's kitchen
mici with mamaliga?

but seriously, women can‘t cook
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2019, 00:27
Gyula
Premier Player

Teams: Hungary, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by szövkap View Post
mici with mamaliga?

but seriously, women can‘t cook
Hey she does make a killer paprikás! Spicy and flavourful just the way I like it.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2019, 02:48 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

probably better than moose head on ice with maple syrup or whatever you snow messians usually eat there
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2019, 14:22
TTM
Legend

Ok....If y'all were to visit San Diego I'd point you to the following places:

1. Las Cuatro Milpas - Taco joint in the middle of what once was Logan Heights Barrio. Gentrification is slowly engulfing the surrounding neighborhood and after 80 or so years in business it may soon be gone. Who knows. Get here quick before it disappears!

2. Mariscos Hector - Walking distance from my house. Best Mexican-style seafood I've ever had outside of Mexico. Order the Mocajete Diablillo as an appetizer to share and an off-menu item call filete Vallarta. If you aren't into spicy food, stay away.

3. Con Pane - Best bakery in San Diego. They make the best gourmet sandwiches in town also. I usually go for the Italian Salami on Mezza Focaccia. The cinnamon rolls are

4. Tony's Mexican Food - In an old Taco Bell building. It's gone through a couple of ownership changes but fortunately they have kept the food consistent. Go for the California Burrito (I like chicken but most go for the carne asada). The salsas are the best in San Diego.

5. Luna Grill - The only "chain" restaurant on my list but it is worth it. Persian/Greek food. I usually go for the ground sirloin combo plate which @Reza would probably call koobideh . It comes with basmati rice, a side salad, pita bread, and grilled tomato.
Boyo and Jeffrey like this.

Ding ding ding da ding da ding ding ding
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2019, 14:30
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

KFC
Taco Bell
Burger King
Pizza Hut
Subway
Ero, TTM and Árpád_ like this.

Woke AF!!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2019, 14:31
TTM
Legend

Honorable Mentions -

6. Jasmines - Dim Sum place in the middle of Convoy St, which is known for their asian restaurants.
7. Hinotez - Ramen that you don't have to wait an hour for....
8. Raki Raki - Ramen that you DO have to wait an hour for......
9. Pomegranate - Russian-Georgian food. Get dishes to share.
10. In-N-Out Burger - Chain burger joint with ace burgers.
Boyo likes this.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2019, 14:33
TTM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo View Post
KFC
Taco Bell
Burger King
Pizza Hut
Subway
Had this for lunch yesterday . My co-worker loves it but doesn't go there with us because she thinks it makes her look cheap. I don't mind it but my body protests, loudly , for at least 24 hours
Boyo likes this.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2019, 19:33
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

There's a funny Sylvester Stallone movie, Demolition Man, set in a dystopian future, and one of its defining traits is that Taco Bell is the only restaurant left in the world.
Boyo likes this.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2019, 19:36
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

The best chain in Australia IMO is Grill'd. They make fantastic burgers and great chips or fries if you want to call them that the zucchini chips are great. A lot more expensive than McDonald's but it's worth it.
Boyo likes this.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2019, 21:43
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
There's a funny Sylvester Stallone movie, Demolition Man, set in a dystopian future, and one of its defining traits is that Taco Bell is the only restaurant left in the world.
In the European version of the movie they use Pizza Hut instead.

Personally I'd take Taco Bell over Pizza Hut any day of the week!
Jeffrey likes this.

Woke AF!!
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2019, 21:49
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTM View Post
Had this for lunch yesterday . My co-worker loves it but doesn't go there with us because she thinks it makes her look cheap. I don't mind it but my body protests, loudly , for at least 24 hours
People look down on fast food restaurants, but the food can be quite tasty. The burgers In-N-Out burger that you mentioned. Hot dogs at Nathan's Famous. Spaghetti and meatballs at Sbarro's. And there are also food carts where you can get awesome Philly cheese steak.
TTM likes this.

Woke AF!!
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2019, 00:20
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

"No way"

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2019, 00:57
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
The best chain in Australia IMO is Grill'd. They make fantastic burgers and great chips or fries if you want to call them that the zucchini chips are great. A lot more expensive than McDonald's but it's worth it.
They’re okay, but places like 8Bit (Melbourne) and Burger Project (Sydney) count as chains now that they’ve gone intercity, and are much, much better.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2019, 01:27
TTM
Legend

There was this place called "Slashed Burger" or something like that, across the street from Harry's Cafe de Wheels and we dropped in to grab a burger. The clerk didn't seem interested in our business so we left and went across the street to Harry's

Last edited by TTM; April 27th, 2019 at 01:32.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2019, 01:46
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zico 10 View Post
They’re okay, but places like 8Bit (Melbourne) and Burger Project (Sydney) count as chains now that they’ve gone intercity, and are much, much better.
Last time I checked the Footscray 8Bit was rated more highly than the one based in the CBD. Hopefully they've improved as it'd be easier to get to the latter.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in