LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 295 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2001, 23:04
World Class Player

Teams: Detroit Red Wings
Quote:
Originally posted by daeone
Quote:
Originally posted by Marco

Oh and I do still not agree. I believe that Cultures should be kept separate and not assimilated...I belive in diversity, not assimilation. Each individual ethnic group (whether it be Canadian, Portuguese, Mexican, Japanese etc...) is unique in it's own way and thats the way it should be.

I respect your opinion and I hope you can respect mine.

You equate assimilation with somehow losing your identity. I don't. I'm totally against, say, a mexican having to forget he's mexican in order to be accepted. Nowhere did I say that's what I meant. My dad sure as hell didn't sell out. He's as mexican as he ever was.

To me, assimilate means learning what teh group does and doing that when working with the group. I see no reason why a greek, a korean and an englishman can't form a group and work together. The mere exposure to each other's culture will cause small changes and wind up creating something different. Three groups living together and refusing to share and experience each other's culture is just stupid. If somebody is so scared of changing that they refuse to learn and accept other views, along with their own, then they are really narrow minded.

Mexican americans, or portuguese canadians are still mexican and portuguese, but they are not the same as the guys back in Mexico and Portugal. That's impossible because they're in different places with different people. Some sort of change is inevitable. I say it's a change that is natural and healthy. Fighting it would be ridiculous. Quite frankly, that's when you get white supremists.

Like PIla, I have nothing left to say on the subject. I am neither right nor wrong and Dae is neither right nor wrong...what I can say is that we should drop the subject because I have a feeling that it will be getting nasty (maybe not from me, Dae or Pila..but someone WILL say something that will lead to an all out war)

Dae I've fully noted your point and respect it, but it wont change my frame of mind. I love other cultures but would never let another culture trample in on mine, it's just the way it is. Am I cultural supremist? If you look at in a negative context then yes. If you look at it through positive sunglasses then I am just a proud individual.

Cry me a river you whiney little bit.........

-Charlie Brown
Leaders of the New School
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 295 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2001, 23:11
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan-Sporting CP-USA-Mexico
Where exactly did I ever say you should allow other cultures to "trample" yours? That's the part that bothers me with so called nationalists; they believe that exposure to other cultures and even the working together of these cultures will somehow endanger the existance of theirs.

If culture A and culture B live together and share ideas and such, you get culture C. That doesn't mean cultures A and B disappear. They only disappear if the generations of cultures A and B allow their cultures to be forgotten. I say, not only would you still have cultures A and B, but also a culture C. Culture C is derived from the other two.

What exactly have I said that you disagree with?

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

"There's no justice like mob justice."
post #103 of 295 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2001, 23:14
World Class Player

nevermind...I can see now that my point made no sense...and I now see where you are going with this.....I kinda, not totally, but kinda (teenie-weenie bit) agree.

-Charlie Brown
post #104 of 295 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2001, 23:23
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I understand what you are getting at; you are against people of a culture forgetting who they are and becoming something else to fit in. I don't agree in that "Melting Pot" crap. That's saying you mix a mexican, a jew and a black and you get an american. I say you take a mexican, a jew and a black and you still have a mexican, a jew and a black and three americans.

There's nothing lamer than some clown pretending he's not something in order to fit in. Even worse, is forcing people to stop being what they are in order to be accepted.

I don't believe for a second that "we're all the same". That's PC crap the nth degree. What we are is a bunch of cultures, totally different from each other and proud of it. However, working together in a "nation" will create small changes in everybody simply due to exposure of other groups. Those changes really are just an appreciation of others (as you have) not a lessening of one's own cultural identity. And, as a result, something new and totally separate will evolve.

It's really a new creation, totally separate from the sum of it's parts. It would be like making a stew and having a finished product, but at the same time, the carrots, beans and rice are all still carrots, beans and rice. That probably made no sense, but oh well.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

post #105 of 295 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2001, 23:23
World Class Player

one last point.....this is what I mean about "assimilation". Take the state "Louisiana", or "Louisiane". ALong with Alaska the most unique state (IMO) in the US. Louisiane was part of the French empire and was sold to the US. Eventually culture A (Louisiana) was swallowed by Culture B (United States) to the point where a very tiny portion of the population speak Francais down there.

I always thought that in Louisiana they spoke French, and I remember going for a business Luncheon with my mom a few years back with some Americans. A couple of them were from Louisiana and I casually said "Bonjour, comment ca va" to them. They didn't know what I was saying. They told me no one speaks French anymore in Louisiana.

Thats what I am talking about Dae.

-Charlie Brown
post #106 of 295 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2001, 23:29
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

To me, that's not assimilation, but people neglecting their past. I think you should be able to remember who you are, while also taking part in the collective nation. Many people believe you should stop speaking whatever and only speak English cuz "yer american". I say the guy should know both english (the common tongue) and what he originally speaks. And throw in a couple other languages to broaden his f*cking horizons.

post #107 of 295 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2001, 23:32
World Class Player

yeah but you can't fault the guy for not speaking French....he was never given the opportunity to. A pity, because Cajun French is so funny sounding

Funnier than QUebecois French

-Charlie Brown
post #108 of 295 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2001, 23:43
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

That's why it's the parents duty to teach their kids where they come from. The nation is the culture C I talked about. It's takes what it needs from cultures A and B. It's up to A and B to retain their individual identity, while still taking part in Culture C. Because, if you ignore culture C, you are left out of the political process and the nation as a whole.

Culture C is the sum of the parts. A and B are those parts.

post #109 of 295 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2001, 18:17
TAZZ l'unico

Yo SLB its ilTAZZ...well TAZZ really........long story....don't ask.

What mypoint is isn't that its o.k. togo bazerk in terms of political correctness. I alreadytold you i am agreed with that.it has gone overboard. I don't see whyyouspentyour entirepost talking aboutthat atall. That's notthe issue.

One of the manyissues thati brought up was whethe rornotyou see a problem withinter racial relationships...You havemadeit clear that you...thatis white supremist....right?

You say thatyouare afraid that in 100 years there will be no white race....and what? Do you believe in evolution? If youdon'tand you are a creationist whatthehell are you saying? Do you think that every race on earth stems from the white race? C'mon.there is nothing such as apure black white or Asian person cos we all came from the same origins...Evolution or creation.....

EVOLUTION
I cannot see any potential white or black men when i look atapes

Creation
We all stemmed from two people........they weren't white that's almost certain. So what exactlyis the conceptof purity? BULLSH!T bro.

I have no care whether or not there areblack people on the earth or notin 100 years......according to Bullworth i promote a total racial inter phucking until we are all one race. And thatis whatis gonna eventuallyhappen. Theywill put dead whitepeople in the museum cos that beautiful pasty milky white complexion will never be seen again.

WHo cares frankly.............

The importantthing is to remember theculture.......and black culture white culture indian culture whatever else will be documented just as other former cultures are documented. Simple.

Understand.......to remember history and treat the white man as he was treated in history as an equal or superior cannot be done today because there is the constant attempt to compensate for the past problems. In this compensation black people at times are favoured and white people are castigated........this is because of history..and if itis tobe forgotten.......you mustunderstand.........bl;ack people will never be able to deny feeling as if they are in the said same situation.

The problem is thatpolitical correctness is trying to do just that...please everyone.....This will never happen. Treating white people fairly.....in some ways is unfair if you buy into all that "feel sorry for the subjected black man B.S>" and that is exactly what England and America try to do. ITS BULLSH!T

But bro........you must understand.......your fear of interaction of races is because you fear your culture will be cheapened and degraded bytheintroduction of other elements.....which means you assume your culture superior to all others....your culture? Anglo saxon white culture............WHITE SUPREMIST.......understand.......no offence but don't deny what you are....frankly i don'tgive a SH!T. But don't lie to yourself bro you are supremist.
post #110 of 295 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2001, 18:42
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Benfica; Portugal
Yo, Tazz!

What happened to the space bar on your keyboard? Did it fall off...er sumtin?

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg
post #111 of 295 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2001, 18:52
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
gee wiz I cant believe I havent gotten wind of this thread until now Seems its true, the porko forums are where it @

Tazz (and no this aint one of our famous "disagreements") that was only on platini well thats the only thing that has stamped itself in my memeroy bank hehe

Plainly I choked when i read both yours and red Eagles assumptions on SLB, and if anyone systematically 'defamed' me like that id never speak to them again regardless. You both flat out made derogoratory assumptions he was both a biggot and a rascist furthermore you were practically taunting him throughout your post bro , Im not saying I wholeheartedly agree or disagree with any particular view but come now they wouldve cut damn deep.

I wanna raise one particular point you made in your post, the point abt being able to walk down the street and not chuckle at the towel on the Indian or the little white boy bla blah blah only then can we say no rascism. Curiosity grabbed me then. Can anybody look at another colour human- being,or a tall, ugly, short, fat,or skinny and not see it? I think not. I mean my dad remarried a mauruitian lady a few years back and i have 2 lovely step sisters in my life now, they are black, they are family, but can i say I look at my stepmum and dont see a beautiful black woman? Of course not Does that make me rascist? they see me as a hot greeko does that make them rascist? I see a person and say wow shes fat, or wow shhes gorgeous, or phuck thats a tall one, just as I see a german shephard dog, or pit bull, or doberman or or or. I dont believe theres a problem, in fact I think its impossible for a human to look at another human and not take note of physical features, be they color, hair, physique etc etc. I mean dont we today perhaps strive for perfect ideologies that are just simply unattainable? Theres nothing wrong with identifying another person b/c of physical features, theres something wrong when you have a hatred or lack of respect for a person b/c of their color or whatever. Respect all, b/c we are one.

SLB i hope like dae mentioned you only have a problem with those particular asians who caused your angst. To persecute the whole race, that is rascism.

You guys want stories on rascism ask any of us ethnic aussies in the oceania forum what its like b/c I CAN GUARANTEE, just abt all of us have experienced it, some more some less. I copped similar sh!t when playing cricket for my local club, so i gave it up and focused on tennis but the grass wasnt greener on the other side of the pasture oh hell no it wasnt it

Guys, namely Pila and Dae, let me get one thing straight, IYO's is it rascist for asians to mingle with their own, greeks same etc etc when migrating to a new country? If thats the case then in the 70's when the huge greek migration came to australia most of the 400,000 greeks were rascist b/c they chose to settle in more or less the same neighbourhoods. The Vietnamese are doing it now, the italians did it in the 50's......I reckon thats a bit harsh, sure I concede that theres bound to be hints of rascism here and there but I believe its more a comfort thing. They did it and do it simply to cope with the rascism they faced and face.
You know what greeks and italians get called here? phuckin greasy wogs. when i was 6 i was walking along the footpath when an old Australian man stopped me and said "In this country we walk and drive on the opposite side to your damn country" I was born in this country Would you believe to this day when im walking down the path and someone is coming towards me I still think of that?
post #112 of 295 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2001, 19:09
Star Player
Star Player

Will somebody bloody write something either bag me or agree, its bloody 4.30 am here!!!!
post #113 of 295 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2001, 19:28
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Tiger, hanging out with your "own kind" is perfectly natural. We tend to gravitate towards that which is most familiar. However, I would hope that people would be open minded enough to allow themselves to experience other cultures and views. If you happen to change (for the better) from the experience, then so much the better. That sort of change is a good thing and should be welcomed, not feared. If your culture "lessens" because of it, then your culture wasn't all that strong to begin with.

Tazz, SLB is portuguese...so by definition not Anglo-Saxon. I don't think anybody in this discussion, aside from Freddie is pure Anglo. I'm half.

In any rate, Anglos aren't the only white supremists because they aren't even the only white people.

post #114 of 295 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2001, 01:24
Legend

Don't make this thread about me guys......I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT ANY OF YOU BEING Anglo....I sai di hate the ANglo Saxon culture.....I mean how the hell can you up to this day think that Scotland should still be slaves of England how phucked up is that totally Colonialistic view. Living in teh Caribbean i have been endoctrinated to castigate the colonial Anglo Saxon pillage and plunder spirit. Its all part of cheering for England's down fal at international tournaments. But i amn't saying i hate Anglo Saxons...but i admit i have an extremly racist view of them.

Yes i taunted him Tuffy Puffy because....he is white supremist Anglo Saxon......simple. I amn't insulting him personally....we would probably talk abit more heatedly if we met in person but I am not violent in words or actions by nature.....And i have no problem talking to even skin head racist as i said before so.....Its nothing personal....I am just teasing him. Wouldn't you tease a Nazi German you met if you were Jewish?

Understand....myy history....Caribbean history is forever dominated by British cruelty and Colonialsim.....you can't blame me for taking a slag at Gold Old mate SLB.

Anyway guys this thread is not about me.......and also Tuffy......its the computers at school they SUCK!!!!!!! The space bar has weights in it......for the Scientific it has in Phlogiston.....negative weight

O INTER O MORTE!!!!!!

Fernando Torres on English defenders "....the truth is most of them lack defensive positioning as a result of their reliance on strength and aggression and leave so much space for you to take advantage of.”

David Trezeguet: Anyway to score in European Cups is easier if compared to Serie A league, since in Champions League clubs give more space to opponents
post #115 of 295 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2001, 02:30
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but portuguese people are NOT Anglo-Saxon. SLB may or may not be many things, but he isn't Anglo. He's British, but not Anglo. Just a englishman of portuguese decent.

Right? Or am I imagining things?

post #116 of 295 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2001, 05:43
Star Player
Star Player

Tazz, Im not attempting to make this into something abt you, the point I raised was merely a point of interest, in no way was I insuting your view, I just thought that it warranted healthy discussion........ and kindly dont call me "puffy" mate its a tad insulting when Im attempting to have a discussion with you.

SLB is not a white supremist and continually labelling him so really dissapoints me. And TAZZ seriously mate, how can you say "Im calling him a white supremist b/c he is, its nothing personal" excuse me for thinking that its just about as personal as it gets mate I for one would belt the bullocks out of anyone who labelled me that...... Im in fact inclined to go straight to jan to have this thread closed b/c thats one of the nastiest things Ive ever seen posted on this site. Im really dissapointed in you mate And if youve got a chip on your shoulder with the Anglo Saxon culture etc etc thats fine, but labelling someone in the same category as hitler and KKK is a bloody disgrace. Im no expert but it doesnt take huge powers of perception to see a lot of his comments were taken wayyy out of context.....and I'll bet that if you did meet face to face youd realise that once again written communication can be misinterpreted and can misrepresent the writer all too easily. You should know that.

[Edited by tigerTUFF on 09-05-2001 at 07:59]
post #117 of 295 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2001, 05:49
ST
Star Player
Premier Player

Teams: Fiorentina & FC Porto
Right Dae, porkos are definitely NOT Anglo-Saxon. Far from it. Actually, I think most brits aren't that either.

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids..
post #118 of 295 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2001, 06:22
Star Player

Brits are very Anglo-Saxon, they coined the bloody term. Perhaps what you mean to say is that they aren't as 'white' as they think they are. Remember that Britain, especially England, was attacked and conquered by every tribe and group I can think of except maybe the Black Africans and the Chinese (although they are being conquered by the Chinese at the present)

Arabs, North Africans and Romans all conquered the place after the Celts and Nordic peoples had already settled. Their was plenty of 'mixing' in England especially. So again, what does it mean to be English, or American, or Spanish, Portuguese, etc...

I'm not knocking nationalism or patriotism at all. I just think we should all understand where we come from, that's all!
post #119 of 295 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2001, 06:55
ST
Star Player
Premier Player

Teams: Fiorentina & FC Porto
That's sort of what I meant dude. The Anglo-Saxons may have originated from Britain, but today I would say that next to nothing remains of that particular ethnic group. Of course, the mentality may remain, and they might see themselves as Anglo-Saxons, but really they are not.
In any case, nationalities have very little to do with some kind of ethnic cohesion in most cases. That's why nationalism is very pointless. After the system of city-states (which at least make sense), nationalism was created by leaders to bunch together a lot of people and unify them through nationalistic indoctrination (i.e creation of national flags, anthems, etc). All to increase the ruling elite's sphere of influence. Nationalism is totally artificial, and is IMO plain evil.

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids..
post #120 of 295 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2001, 07:33
Star Player
Star Player

ST come on man, how can nationalism be totally evil? Its been the very fabric of society for thousands and thousands of years. Its part of human nature. Its a contemporary form of tribalism, just like supporting your footy team is. Neanderthals all bunched together into tribes, a rudimentary form of nationalism When I hear the National Anthem of Australia at the MCG in front of a capacity 98,000 I get tingles and feel proud of my team....does that make me an advocate of evil?

In essence if nationalism is evil, then soccer is evil, the Olympics are evil, Christianity, buddhism, Islam and every other religion is evil too,b/c arent they bunching ppl with similar ideologies together?

[Edited by tigerTUFF on 09-05-2001 at 08:40]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in