Are Women Better Fans Than Men? Fenerbahťe's Female Hordes Pose the Question - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2011, 18:40 Thread Starter
Csíkszentmihályi fan
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Sevilla, Montedio Yamagata, Bosnia-H., Argentina
Are Women Better Fans Than Men? Fenerbahçe's Female Hordes Pose the Question

(Original piece at http://mediolana.wordpress.com/2011/...eksi-football/)

SEPTEMBER 22, 2011 · 11:03 PM

♀♥Welcome to Heaven: Fenerbahçe’s Women Redefine ‘Seksi Football’ ♥♀

The area of Kadıköy on the Asian side of the megalopolis that is Istanbul will be familiar to most tourists to that city as the location of a ferry terminal; while its role as a commuter hub is likely to decline somewhat with the proposed Q4 2013 inauguration of the transcontinental Marmaray rail link, Kadıköy is likely to retain a good deal of prominence as the home of Fenerbahçe S.K. (‘Fenerbahçe’, ‘Fener’). A wildly popular sports club – Fener have more supporters in Turkey than Juventus, Italy’s most popular team, possess in their domestic market – Fenerbahçe’s football branch is nevertheless a chronic underachiever at European level, with one quarter-final appearance in the 2007-2008 UEFA Champions League the acme of its attainments.

However, on 20th September 2011 – and through an otherwise unexceptional Süper Lig draw with lowly Manisaspor – Fenerbahçe S.K. entered footballing folklore in a most unforgettable manner. As a consequence of violence at, of all games, a pre-season friendly with Ukrainian idols Shakhtar Donetsk, Fener were ordered by the Turkish Football Federation (‘TFF’) to play two matches behind closed doors; the TFF later tweaked their rules to ban only male fans from age 13 upwards from the two games, permitting women and children to attend. The first of these ties was Tuesday night’s encounter with the team from Manisa – and in the stands, an aural and visual spectacle of the like scarcely witnessed before at a game of soccer was the result.

Perusing video footage of a sublime occasion, we at Mediolana believe that there are many lessons to be drawn from this particular Turkish model:

1. Femininity. The virtually 100% female crowd of 41,663 at the Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium seemed exultant in their identity as women in a way that is unfamiliar to many in Western Europe and North America, viewing traditional expressions of femininity as a strength: babies and young children were proudly on show, with many supporters dressing – with the exception of the ubiquitous replica tops – as they would for a relaxed evening out. Yet anyone expecting submissiveness was to be sorely disappointed; whether kitted out in bikini-style two-pieces or silk tesettür headscarves, one got the strong impression that these women could handle anyone or anything foolish enough to transgress against them.

2. Chivalry. When the TFF’s decision to relax its admission rules to permit women and children to attend the ‘closed doors’ matches was promulgated, some pointed to the possible discriminatory elements inherent in the decision: the banning of all adult male fans as ‘unruly’; the admission of women and children only as a ‘punishment’, and so on. However, when looked at as a chivalric directive made in a spirit of generosity and humility, this change of policy is simply inspired: the female-dominated crowd acted as a reminder of the true spirit of football, whilst getting to enjoy some top-quality soccer gratis.

3. Energy. In an era when all-seater stadia and executive boxes have rendered many grounds – particularly, though not exclusively, in England – into corporatised media ‘events’ as far removed from the everyday reality of most fans as a Pixar animation, Fenerbahçe’s feminine hordes provide a stark admonishment that contemporary arenas with all the expected amenities do not excuse supporters adopting a sanitised mindset: noise, colour and choreography can be created anywhere if the passion is undying.

'Meditation is not being calm sitting on some remote mountaintop; it is being calm in the middle of New York City.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2011, 18:43 Thread Starter
Csíkszentmihályi fan
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Sevilla, Montedio Yamagata, Bosnia-H., Argentina
So what do you guys think? Will football ever be the same again after the Fenerbahçe S.K. - Manisaspor 'ladies' night' extravaganza? Do you reckon that this trend is one that should be followed in your home country, or is this just another step towards the feminization of everything that leaves no traditional bastion of masculinity in peace?

'Meditation is not being calm sitting on some remote mountaintop; it is being calm in the middle of New York City.'
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2011, 19:09
Tim
Xtratime Legend

Even though I've been blessed to live here in the wonderful Republic of Texas, unfortunately my opportunities to watch football are pretty much limited to the television. The cameras can't help themselves but provide lots of close up shots from time to time, and I'm therefore very supportive of kicking out the men - hell, throw the children out as well - and leaving the seats to the women. Like I said elsewhere, it's a much nicer sight than a bunch of fugly dudes, not to mention it seems the women are good at creating an exciting atmosphere.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2011, 19:27
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Inter, Memphis Tigers
The women can be great to look at, sure.

But when your team scores a hugely important goal, the helium cheers just don't work the same as what we're used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob W The Bat View Post
These last years after the CL win I noticed when following the Inter online community that many fans have turned into cvcksuckers.
R.I.P: Tazzy, Flo.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2011, 19:29
BANNED!
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Tricolor Paulista
so you enjoy mens voices more...

mamamamamarica
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2011, 19:49
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Inter, Memphis Tigers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liternit View Post
so you enjoy mens voices more...

mamamamamarica
When it comes to football cheers, yeah.

I prefer mens football too.

While you prefer staring intently at shirtless men in MMA.

But I think you're a faggot for other reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob W The Bat View Post
These last years after the CL win I noticed when following the Inter online community that many fans have turned into cvcksuckers.
R.I.P: Tazzy, Flo.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2011, 19:59
cam
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Ross County, Green Bay Packers
A blog post from that site? Reposted into the XT Lounge by you? SHOCK HORROR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimboMan2009 View Post
we need to do something about moral relativism because it's really damaging the air condition. there's alot of harassing going on out there, specially during the night, and they use moral relativism to justify it.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2011, 20:32
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firdaus View Post
The women can be great to look at, sure.

But when your team scores a hugely important goal, the helium cheers just don't work the same as what we're used to.
I love the terminology - "the helium cheers."

Though, I do, too, prefer women in the stands. But it would be sexist and homophobic to get rid of the guys.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2011, 20:43
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
I stand at City with the main singing lot, who get the songs going. There are a few girls amongst us, who are very loyal and go to many games, but its the men who get the songs going mostly. They'd be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Of course you need TGO you retards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutu
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2011, 20:55
BANNED!
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firdaus View Post
But I think you're a faggot for other reasons.
ok name them!

Last edited by Liternit; September 23rd, 2011 at 21:13. Reason: !
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2011, 21:12
kat
THE
Legend

Have you actually been at a stadium with loads of women?
It's pretty horrible. They come with heels and some other unsuitable clothes and start to complaine about uncomphy seats. And they have big bags what does not fit anywhere. And then they only walk in packs and need to go to toilet 12 times per game, so you miss few nice shots and passes. And then on 77th min they ask- who is our team...not to mention, why the ref whistles, now what happend, why does he this or that, why this guy falls down yadayadayada.

Tazz forever
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2011, 21:12
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Sampdoria, Italian NT, Crystal Palace
Female supporters simply dream of marrying the players.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2011, 21:16
Xtratime Legend

Teams: some clubs. Italy&Oranje
I would say there´s two groups of female spectators: 1) the ones that come there to watch the game, because they´re really interested and 2) the ones that mainly go there ´cause their husband / boyfriend is going. You realize the ones of group 2 when they are asking stupid questions about football itself or the teams playing or the players.

I´m female and like to watch football in stadiums. Overall I would say I more enjoy to watch with men than with women. Men are more focussed on the game, women tend to chat about x different things during the game..... Cant answer the question who are the better fans, women or men. Depends on how their interest for the sports is. I am sure many of the ladies night event only went for the first time with a group of friends, just to be part of it.

20xx

SCHWARZ WEISS GRÜN

AAAAAALEEEEEEZ, AAAAAALEEEEEEZ!!!!!!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2011, 21:20
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
It's pretty horrible. They come with heels and some other unsuitable clothes and start to complaine about uncomphy seats. And they have big bags what does not fit anywhere. And then they only walk in packs and need to go to toilet 12 times per game, so you miss few nice shots and passes. And then on 77th min they ask- who is our team...not to mention, why the ref whistles, now what happend, why does he this or that, why this guy falls down yadayadayada.
haha, had exactly that in mind when I wrote my post. Not to forget the ladies who go in packs and have nothing better to do than refreshing their make-ups at halftime!!! Whereas others are waiting in a long row outside. alm:

Men drink their beer , let out their frustration about refs or the shit their teams play and thats it. Less complicated.

20xx

SCHWARZ WEISS GRÜN

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2011, 21:29
BANNED!
Xtratime Legend

so let me guess if you could chose between going to a stadium packed with girls or men you would chose the latter? I could give two shits about ambience, chants or any of that rubish if my field of view was blessed with tatas and ass.

In Brasil any goal scored means everyone is pushing and hugging and screaming, put me in a stadium full of woman during a goal and I´m in heaven.

Plus I ****ing hate when guys that I don´t know try to strike conversation in the stands, then you have the idiots who constantly curse the wrong players and who shout goal before it happens.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2011, 21:35
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liternit View Post

In Brasil any goal scored means everyone is pushing and hugging and screaming, put me in a stadium full of woman during a goal and I´m in heaven.

20xx

SCHWARZ WEISS GRÜN

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2011, 21:53
Tim
Xtratime Legend

If stadiums were suddenly filled with women... I'd want to move to Brazil.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2011, 21:55
BANNED!
Xtratime Legend

I´d take Yurope over Brasil
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2011, 22:27
Premier Player

Asia <3
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2011, 22:40
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Benfica; Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Very few of those go see games, though.

These were of a different breed.

I loved it. I just wish in such a situation I was given exclusive access to stand among them. With one buddy, tops - just so there is a witness in case things go really well.

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in